1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project High-Res (Xmas update) Asus Xonar gets the treatment.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Bradley8988, 14 Mar 2009.

1. Bradley8988

Bradley8988 New Member

Lol there blue but ya they will match it perfectly.

2. subset7

subset7 Spanking the Monkey

This is going to look awesome:thumb:,you're using the same tubing as me aswell,it really is nice quality stuff.Subd

3. Bradley8988

Bradley8988 New Member

Update 1st April.

This would be how the roof reservoir will kinda look. The roof would be mostly cut away so the res would kinda be floating there and not touching anything metel on the main case. You will be able to see down the side and before the res as well as through the res and water into the case.

[​IMG]

After searching high and low for the exact color powder I wanted, Tom came to my rescue and showed me a webby yesterday. Today I have a nice bag of full gloss cornflower blue powdercoat.

[​IMG]

Also had some SSD hdd mounts come today and decided to mark out ready for cutting how the roof will be. Im cutting right to the rear of the case so the PSU will be seen, got plans so it matches in nicely. Got some more tools on the way so i can do this tidy.

[​IMG]

Cheers.

Last edited: 23 Apr 2009
  4. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Absolutely love the idea of being able to see the inside of the case through the water! You'll have to do an amazing job with cable management though. Well, I guess, you will. :thumb:

5. Bradley8988

Bradley8988 New Member

Update 8th April.

Ok well as i plan on cutting the roof of my case i thought i better get a set of files. I have needed them before but alays just made do without but i bit the bullet and got a cheap set which should do the job nicely.

[​IMG]

Also i heard about making my your own ATX pin removal tool outa a screw driver so i had ago and it works perfect while been really really strong.

Before.

[​IMG]

After.

[​IMG]

As my PSU is going to be on show i decided to void the warranty and strip it all down ready for paint. :duh:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then yesterday I spent like 12 hours braiding my 24pin atx cable. Took a stupid amount of time(Dont ask...) Anyway looks good now.

[​IMG]

Will Probably re do my 8pin ATX as im not happy with it and then sort out the 2 6pin PCI-E im extending.

6. Burnout21

Burnout21 Is the daddy!

nice, looks like the 12 hours spent braiding was worth it mate.

When people rush its when things go wrong.

7. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Braiding looks awesome. This is looking to be a very nice mod, keep up the good work.

8. Bradley8988

Bradley8988 New Member

Update 12th April.

Did a mock up today with some spare acrylic i had laying around. The white tape represents where the bars of the old roof bulge that will hide any joints. This lot then would be mounted to the main roof that will be cut away to see down into the case through the fluid.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is only a mock up to get feedback from other peeps, So what ya think?

Cheers Brad.

9. Bradley8988

Bradley8988 New Member

Update 13th April.

Doing alittle mock up today and i wanted to have the inlet and outlet on the rear of the res but its too far back and would foul the PSU. Theres a little space in the front that will just about fit my power button and the fan controller along with 2 90's into the res. The front been at such a angle should slow the water down and may even give a nice effect in the front.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What ya think?

Thanks to Olly k on the tips for soldering. I cant get on with a soldering tip so I use a little gas torch but the same way olly mentioned. Works a treat and really neat. Could do with one of those arm things with the little clips to hold the cables while im doing it, but a few lumps of bluetack (Green) does just as good a job. These cables arnt coming apart anytime soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers.

10. Jozo

Jozo This is bit-tech

Wow that is beautiful. :jawdrop:
    What colour will the coolan be?

11. subset7

That's going to look awesome,looking forward to the next update,keep up the good work :thumb:

12. Bradley8988

Bradley8988 New Member

Not sure on coolent. Will prolly use distilled water and use LED's to light the res blue. :)

13. subset7

Feser Clear UV Blue would be good with UV led's.

14. Bradley8988

Bradley8988 New Member

Well that was my first idea but iv read about feser losing color after awhile so not sure if its best to do. I need the res to stay as clear as possible.

15. The boy 4rm oz

Top bulge is taking shape really well.

16. Bradley8988

Bradley8988 New Member

Cheers dude.

Update 22nd April.

Well finally got some parts today so have done alittle bit. First i got a used PA120.3 of the MM for a bargain price of £33inc and and it already has riv nutz fitted which i prefer. It will be painted with the case prolly but for now just testing.

[​IMG]

Also managed to source some rad backets to fit the lian-li drive bays.

[​IMG]

As you can see the bolts i had laying around are far too long for holding the brackets so will need modding.

[​IMG]

Iv screwed some nuts on before cutting for helping cut the thread back on after.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All cut they screw down nicely.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Bradley8988

Bradley8988 New Member

Continued...

As you can see the rad bracket hits the built in fan controller of the P60 so will need further modding.

[​IMG]

Marked up.

[​IMG]

Once cut fits nicely around the controllers PCB.

[​IMG]

Cheers Brad.

18. The boy 4rm oz

Those riv nutz are really cool I want to see if I can find them in Australia.

19. Bradley8988

Bradley8988 New Member

Yah there alot better. Got 2 rads now with them in and there alot nicer to use.

20. Bradley8988

Bradley8988 New Member

Update 23rd April.

Rad fitted.

[​IMG]

Im covering all the drive bays with plexi so this is a template outa cardboard before cutting the real thing.

[​IMG]

Also Just fitting my new power button as the old one was in the roof thats been cut away for the res.

Once marked out i pilot drilled the hole with a small 3mm metal bit.

[​IMG]

This bit is a nasty thing. Kinda overcut but will be ok, once it got dug in it was taking off like 2mm with each turn. Cut like a knife through butter.

[​IMG]

Once done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers again.