1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Hightower - Main rig & Media PC in one

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by bard, 10 May 2003.

1. bard

bard Modding isn't what it used to be

[​IMG]

This time a Q-tec big tower is the subject of my modding. BoCoMoFo came up with the name Hightower, as the case is tall, black and reminds him of the dude from Police Academy. Zackerouac inspired me on the side window.
    I am starting to get a bit tired with all the blue, so I will try to implement some red into this case, it's just that I have so many blue LEDs :blah:. At least, the HDD activity LED and the case lighting will be red.

For case lighting I am using something really special; it may actually be the first time this is being done. I am using a round, 10cm Ø trailer/car position light to light up the case internally. With this I hope to add a "factory" touch to it.
    [​IMG]
    Now you might be concerned with the heat coming from this light, but I have checked it, and it dosn't really get that hot. Not much more than a few CCFLs.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    To the left is how the case looks today. Black dyed bezel and brushed steel. The right picture shows the shape of the window.

But aren't you going to do anything with the front besides dyeing it, I hear you ask. Well, I'm thinking about it. Maybe I'm going to sand down the front where the power/reset button and the LEDs are, and fill the holes with epoxy. Then I could make a new, glowing power button and HDD LED on a little brushed steel plate, like this:

[​IMG]

And on the bottom of the front, there are many small "air" holes. Actually these holes serve no purpose, as they are blocked by a piece of plastic underneath. I plan on lighting up all these holes.

Here's a pic of the computer after I sanded down the sides (and those huge sides took a while!)
    [​IMG]

Tell me what you think so far. And if you like, you could download the SketchUp file of my case.
    If you don't have sketchup, download it here.

Update will come when I get the time. Maybe next weekend.

Last edited: 3 Oct 2003
  2. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

Lol, your sketchup file says the case is 9ft high :lol:

[edit] Your PSU is also squint... :eyebrow:

3. zackerouac

zackerouac bring it

woohoo! the hightower project log :dremel:

4. bard

Have you been snooking inside my case, ouija? It was my first ever Sketchup creation... I may have overdid the height...

And by the way, check out my new avatar!
    <-----

5. ouija

I have resized your sketchup file to scale by resizing your 5.25" bays to the correct size and decimalising the unit measurement to millimeters. It says the case is 600mm high, is that right???

6. zackerouac

zackerouac bring it

question - about how bright is the light youre using for your case?

7. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit No longer the other Brett.

Like the choice of window design, clean and simple, should look really nice against the brushed steel look.

8. bard

Yeah, that's about right. The case is about 640mm tall.

Zackerouac: I don't know how bright the light is, because I haven't bough a bulb for it yet. I can have it as bright as I want (car bulbs come up to 100W). I'm not going to have it that bright, though.

9. ouija

I was going to play around with the case out of boredom, but there are a few things that need fixing in the model. You might find it easier to work with if you group the objects early on. Also, cut sections help you work inside just in case you didn't already know. There are some excellent video tutorials on the sketchup website and v3.0 is being released this June :clap:

10. bard

ouija: I have added some layers to make it easy to remove e.g. the side panels. But how do I use the cut section function?

Last edited: 11 May 2003
  11. Premium

Premium What's a Dremel?

Re: Project Hightower - Top window - May 11th

Heh, i have a blue one of these in my case. but anyway, im sure it would have been done before i did it.

12. bard

:sigh: Maybe my innovative skills are fading away... Well, I'll use it anyway. BTW, do you have a pic of that, Premium?

13. Snitch

Snitch Supremodder

Nice case bard :clap:

sanding down the sides takes a hell of a time (i did the same)

14. bard

Tell me about it! I'm still not finished sanding. Will continue the sanding this weekend. (I have to get it nicer than yours :p )

15. Snitch

Snitch Supremodder

Then ill go get 1200 paper and WIN!

16. bard

You do that, Snitch. I will sand mine using regular 80g/m2 printer paper!

Anyhow, here's an update on what I have been doing. I haven't had much time, because of all the tests at school, but I had time to make this little circuit, with the help of ZapWizard, of course.
    He told me that by putting a diode between the + on the power LED, and ground on the HDD LED, the power LED shuts off whenever the HDD LED lights.

This is the basic idea: \/
    [​IMG]

To make it a tad more professional, I etched a circuit from copper laminate:
    \/
    [​IMG]

I then soldered on the diode, wires to mount the LEDs and pin headers to connect with the motherboard:
    \/
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I hooked up the circuit to a computer, and it worked perfectly. Well, when I used some low-current/low-voltage LEDs, they just dimmed on and off, but when I used Sunbeam 8000 MCD LEDs it worked like a charm!

I guess you guys wonder what this circuit is going to be used for. I'm not going to tell you that. If you want to know, then stay tuned :naughty: .

17. bard

Ok, new update:

In order to make my new power button, I had to remove all traces of the old one. I sanded down the place where the power and HDD LED were, and I sanded away all the writing (power, reset etc.) The holes where the old switches were are to be filled with some kind of filler and sanded smooth.
    I drilled a new hole in the middle of the bezel using a 32mm spade bit. This is where the new power button is going.
    \/
    [​IMG]

I made a new mounting bracket for the power switch. \/
    [​IMG][​IMG]

This is the power switch. It is made from plexi glass, which I rounded by connecting it to my Dremel and holding a file against it whilst it spinned. In the center is a round metal piece which I have many of :naughty:
    \/
    [​IMG]

And this is the switch in the bracket
    \/
    [​IMG]

What do you think so far? You are all welcome to come with suggestions or just random thoughts (about the case, huh?)

18. the_secret

the_secret What's a Dremel?

-> are you going to light the switch with circut you have for the hdd and power leds? that would be cool :)

19. bard

Is it that obvious? :lol: Yes, I am going to light the switch with the circuit, so the switch changes color when the HDD is active.

20. Snitch

Snitch Supremodder

AHAAA, i didnt really get it.
    thx by the way for the tip :D