Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Monkey Puzzle, 17 Jul 2009.
That some great temp consideering its fanless and overclocked.
I would take a look at some of the new Enermax batwing fans, supposed to be very quiet and efficient and only approx £10 each... The "Clusters" are rated very highy and I was gonna give them a try in my next project. Supposed to do 50cfm @ around 15dbA iirc.
awsome project btw m8
I remeber seeing this for the first time and thinking "Wow this looks pretty cool" but seeing no structure to it really
Now its this perfectly designed pile of epic! (Thats good)
Its unbelievably unique!!
Will the pump work in that orientation?
If you've tested it, I'm sure it'll make Editor22 very happy, because I think someone said in his log that the DDC won't work mounted vertically.
Pump orientation shouldn't make a difference in performance.
So long as the inlet isn't pointing downwards there shouldn't be an issue. I've had no problems running DDCs or D5s for that matter horizontally.
Looking awesome Monkey Puzzle!
Maybe take a look at these fans, I have the 140mm series 700rpm and I cant hear a thing....
These are the 120mm version running 600rpm @10db and 25cfm... was it 9 fans you wanted you would have plenty of airflow and would be probably unaudible..
except the bearing is not be used correctly, which could potential damage the pump leading to a shorter duty life.
the bearing should be okay - it's basically a ceramic bead on a steel pole. I wouldn't havethought it would wear like a sleeve bearing fan does horizontally.
I can't access the aquatuning page - using mobile atm - is it the fractal 14cm fan or the noctua?
Some pumps use a Saphire bearing instead of the ceramic for better longevity, I know my DangerDen pump (and a few other DDs) does, don't know if the DDC as standard comes with it though.
Been following along pretty silently but I saw my name with regards to the pump mounting so I thought I'd share the PDF manual that was sent to me shows the pump positioned like monkey has it as ok
Really enjoying the build Monkeypuzzle its always been one of my personal favourites right from the start I was like "Damn he's actually going to do it!"
^^ Same here.
This outstanding mod may not have won motm, but I expect to see this in moty, it's easily up there with the best of them, this was pushed into motm too early imo like some do & at a time when there were no updates coming, but OMG how hard will it be to pick a number 1 with so many amazing mods this year.
Keep it up Monkey Puzzle, awesome passive pc .
Time for an update!
(Photos taken on my n97 so not the best quality I'm afraid.)
First, I decided to attach the GPU block to the GPU. I bled the loop to take the tubes offf the block, and decided to open the CPU block whilst I was at it...
And this is what I found - lots of resin gunk must have come off when I degunked the top fill-port thread (more of that in a minute) and so the previous temperature testing was done with water only flowing into about 1.5 of the 12 impingement slits, cooling only two narrow strips about 5mm wide.
I then added the graphics RAM heatsinks. I was going to cannibalise the single-slot stock cooler on my 4850 as it has nice big sections of widely spaced tall copper pins to cool the VRMs. Except after dremeling about a mm into the stock cooler I realised the stock cooler was just aluminium anodised with copper-coloured dye. Damned charlatans!
So instead I opted to cannibalise an old VRM heatsink from my old x1900xt (the pinky-crimson coloured bits) as they're widely spaced fins an nice and tall, combined with an aluminium heatsink that's supposed to go onto 8800gtx VRMs I think.
I then replumbed the loop, started the machine up and did some more temperature testing....
With a degunked HK3.0 waterblock and with the 4850 GPU also in the loop, with the core i750 at 4.2Ghz using 1.43volts vcore it was maxing out at about 55C running intel burn test with the maximum stress I could (about 3.5GB of RAM). During gaming (Arma II) it maxed out at around 50C.
Previously, with just the CPU in the loop it had been reaching 72 in intel burn test in my toasty room.
It idles slightly higher now after degunking but with the GPU in the loop, at around 30-32C compared to 26c before.
Sadly, a minor disaster struck. When I cast the thick polyester resin over the top and bottom manifolds/plenums, some resin had managed to find its way under the mold top glued to the top fill-port, and a little bit into the screw thread for the fill cap. I'd tried to dissolve it out using acetone on cotton buds, but with no joy. I stupidly decided to try scraping it out, and in doing so the thread got a bit worn and slightly mangled. Then when I tried to screw in the top fill-port plug it was really tricky to get it to seal, and I needed to screw it in really tight. Then I screwed it in too tight, heard creaking, and the copper fill-port (the 1" diameter x ~5mm cooper ring with the thread inside) sheared at the soldered joint attaching it to the 1mm thick copper wall of the plenum, like so:
PIC SHEARED FILLPORT
It will be fixable, and I'll recast resin into the bits where shards have come off...
So then I did a horrible thing to a very pretty waterblock. As I didn't have access to a lathe or a 11mm odd drill bit, I decided to cannibalise an EK x1900xt fullcover copper waterblock to make a replacement fillport...
pic cannibalised waterblock
After a bit of filing and sanding I was left with this; a shiny new fillport.
However, there's now resin covering the plenum, so it can't be soldered on. I didn't want to risk it coming off again so I bought a 2mm countersunk drill bit and some m2 countersunk screws, and set at it with my weedy bench drill.
Here's a comparison of the thread on the old and new fill-port:
With 6 screws attaching the fillport to the 1mm thick copper wall it should be able to resist being screwed in.
So that's where it's up to at the moment.
Separate names with a comma.