1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: Hush!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Monkey Puzzle, 17 Jul 2009.

1. Monkey Puzzle

Monkey Puzzle Minimodder

The psu will sit behind the motherboard tray - probably fan facing down sat on a shroud covering around 14-15cm square with some neoprene dampening. It's a seasonic x750 so the fan only comes on under heavy load, but wound be nice to isolate any noise it does make. Plus, a shroud would mean at high heatloads some fins get active ventilation. There'll also be a SSD and a quiet 5400rpm 1.5tb hdd for storage. There's also going to be a slot-loading laptop drive soft-mounted to a vertical slit in the wallside front upright aluminium leg with a separate vandal switch wired up to operate it, and a front usb panel somewhere.

2. Monkey Puzzle

Monkey Puzzle Minimodder

The psu will sit behind the motherboard tray - probably fan facing down sat on a shroud covering around 14-15cm square with some neoprene dampening. It's a seasonic x750 so the fan only comes on under heavy load, but wound be nice to isolate any noise it does make. Plus, a shroud would mean at high heatloads some fins get active ventilation. There'll also be a SSD and a quiet 5400rpm 1.5tb hdd for storage. There's also going to be a slot-loading laptop drive soft-mounted to a vertical slit in the wallside front upright aluminium leg with a separate vandal switch wired up to operate it, and a front usb panel somewhere.

3. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

That looks really good mate. I like it silver (goes really well with the copper colour of the fin array. If you do go for a powder coating of black you need to keep the indenting in the 'Hush' prints silver, it would look awesome.

4. oliverw92

oliverw92 What's a Dremel?

You should powdercoat the aluminium frame black, then the 'hush' letters cut out of some aluminium and polish/plate them like bitspower fittings. Then embed them in the cut-outs you have already in the aluminium :)

5. vils

vils What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 12 Apr 2010
  6. Skorchio

Skorchio What's a Dremel?

Amazing buddy, really fantastic.

7. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I missed the frame assembly.:( Looks great!
    You MEANT to put the logo on upside down. ;) -and the name is hsnh-hush.:D

8. Monkey Puzzle

Monkey Puzzle Minimodder

Cheers dude!

Heh. Still have a few ideas about the lettering - considering polished and lacquered copper letters CNCed to sit flush where the lettering is at the moment on the front. Think I may leave the back lettering as it is and try not to draw too much attention to it - keep it very hsnh hush. ;)

Exciting times ahoy!

I was getting recurrent leaks with the end boxes/plenums where all the tubes feed into at each end. The problem was that the inner boxes had warped and had slight gaps around where the inlet and outlet holes were, and I hadn't used enough epoxy to glue the outer copper strips on. Consequently there were small escape routes for water to get through. I had tried using araldite epoxy around the edges to fix the leaks, but unless I kept big ugly araldite dribbles around the edges (as you can see in the most recent pics) it would spring tiny leaks. :(

So I decided on a better solution; I spent the past few days sanding down the copper end boxes/plenums and making a mould for the end boxes... I have just finished clear resin casting around the end boxes - the stuff used for clear keyrings with things suspended in them and the like. Much much prettier, and 3-5mm of a resin block encapsulating the seal points should make it reassuringly water-tight. If it isn't I think I may cry. :(

I've also done some further drilling and tapping - 22 m4 hex button head screws holding the aluminium front and back to the back wall, and it can now stand on its own four feet. :)

No pictures for now - I use my brothers camera and he's in a bad mood with me.... Not much of an update without pictures I know... Hopefully tomorrow!

9. ToB1

ToB1 What's a Dremel?

Looks awesome! Literally "cool" idea! ;)

10. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

OW! I didn't know you were still having leak issues.

11. Frido

Frido Minimodder

Argh, leaks - we hate leaks, don't we? :(

But fortunately, you pinpointed them, that's the most important thing, so you are able to cope with them now with your suggested method of sealing. Gotta look exciting!!

You better get on better terms with your brother, we can't live without pictures of your wonderful build! Tell him it's a question of life or death! ;)

12. devilxc

devilxc Biding my time...

This is one of my favourite builds. I love the idea behind it and the execution is looking great. Is there no way you can cool the PSU with the radiator - making sure everything is kept hushed?

13. Monkey Puzzle

Monkey Puzzle Minimodder

Oh, I forgot - I also wired up and soldered a molex to the cool white LED strip lighting and got some 1/2" aluminium square bar to use for structural mobo cross struts.

I'm away from the project but should be able to get back to work on it and photo it this weekend or the next...

14. Monkey Puzzle

Monkey Puzzle Minimodder

I'm having issues with leakproofing. There's no way I'm wtaercooling the PSU! I'm not that stupid. Besides, it barely ever turns the fan on, and even when it does it spins at about 500rpm or something silly. Pretty much inaudible anyway.

15. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

16. merple

merple What's a Dremel?

wow

that is completely insane

17. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Wow never seen this before this is no small task :eek:

18. Fabou

Fabou What's a Dremel?

That is the biggest radiator I've seen.

19. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

This is an incredible project. Don't give up. Get those leaks fixed and keep it coming.

20. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

I love this mod and I can't wait to see more of it. Good luck getting on better terms with your brother :thumb: