1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: HYPERCUBE² 21/03/2005 PICTURES FROM CEBIT

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Joungne, 18 Jul 2004.

1. tmod

tmod What's a Dremel?

The build quality in this mod is second to none, and the attention to detail is astounding. Excellent work. :cooldude:

BTW, I like those sites Joungne.

Oh, and nice post Righteous-Tek. Good to see a thorough explanation, your first two posts were worth more than most people's first twenty. :D

2. theflinger

theflinger What's a Dremel?

great job with the LED strips...prepare to see it mass produced within a year, methinks :).

Keep it up, totally sweet project.

3. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Thanks, theres some interesting buildings there. Very nice work on the website too. :clap:

4. Gedron

Gedron What's a Dremel?

I just wanted to add my voice to the fan list. This is an awesome project. :thumb:

Subscribed.

5. Grunt

Grunt What's a Dremel?

OMG.. a senior computer engineer at an university who's telling you rubbish like that. He should be fired and then hung by his b*lls..

Because that's what it is, total and absolute nonsense.

There is no speed difference between a 'high quality' ATA-133 cable and a 'low-quality' ATA-133 cable. ATA has no 'bandwith throtteling mechanism' as you describe it.

If your computer sais it's at ATA-133 then it's at ATA-133. Nothing more and nothing less.

For more information about the cable, see here:
    http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/conf_Cable80.htm

and for more information about ATA/ATAPI, see here:
    http://www.t13.org/#Standards (these are the people that write the standards).

Anyways, enough offtopic.. :p..

The new lightening Idea is cool, as is the whole case :p

6. Righteous-Tek

Righteous-Tek What's a Dremel?

WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM GRUNT! There is so much stupidity in this post I hardly know where to begin.

You are the worst reader I have ever seen! Try this link on.

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/modes_UDMA.htm

If you didn't catch that, it's from your own reference!

On this page it describes the "CRC' data transmission error checking I talked about, it then states that if too many transmission errors are occurring that the IDE controller will switch to a slower Ultra DMA Mode (YES, BANDWIDTH THROTTLELING), it then lists all of the modes up to ATA100 speed (page is too old to include the ATA133 mode) and there cycle times. It even goes as far as to say, "The cycle time shows the speed of the interface clock; the clock's frequency is the reciprocal of this number" <=THAT'S THE BUS SPEED ON THE CABLE!!!

Gee this is sounding a lot like my other post.

As for there being a difference between one ATA133 cable and another ATA133 cable, I DIDN"T EVEN MENTION THAT so I have no idea where that came from. I was talking about the differences between ATA 66, 100, and 133 certified cables.

But OK, The Software Engineer that lived next to me when I was living in the dorms worked for a company that made computer cables. And if you would like me to embarrass you further I can call him up and get the link to his company page witch outlines the different quality ATA133 cables they sell (the higher the price, the higher the cable’s frequency response). You’ll pay US$200 for the cable but that is hardly the point.

As for the comment you made concerning my CE friend, I don't know what kind of place you come from but where I'm from that kind of unwarranted crap isn't tolerated!

Now, if you have anything more to say on this topic I suggest you start a new thread and stop mucking this one up.

Sorry Joungne, I don't mean to disrespect your project log with all of this. I didn't expect some jerk to explode over IDE cables. By the way, I visited your architectural pages. ABSOLUTELY AWSOME!!!! Your architectural firm produces some great designs. MOD on.

7. Joungne

Joungne What's a Dremel?

Well all this is a little above my small knowledge on electronics.
    So I cant say who's right and who's wrong. I cant even be bothered to look it up ... But maybe this would be a great thread at the electronics forum to see what someone else has to say about it.

Anyway, tnx for the link for the 80pins cabel. I ordered it right from the states along with some other cool stufff. Yet another site that went right into my favourites :)

When I get it, the problem of ATA133 will be gone, along with these offtopic posts :D

greetz,

Joungne

8. theagent

theagent What's a Dremel?

Joungne Rocks, W0000000000!

9. Chiron

Chiron What's a Dremel?

OMG dude I hate you.. :hehe: now all the plans I had making a new casemod just vanished as I saw the box you're working on, it just surpasses everything else that has been made until now.. how can someone ever make something better :D

My compliments, this is next-level case building..

For the sake of case-modding and building community, I hope you finish this one as I am really eager to see it finished.. it's so damn cool !! :rock:

Ever thought of a next project making a second cube, based on the first Cube movie? Imagine what you could do with full colour leds instead of white ones :naughty:

10. Joungne

Joungne What's a Dremel?

I have considered it, and there are already plans for it... but first there will be another mod, one I'm thinking of for 3 months already.
    But first I have to wrestle me through this one. But its coming along

greetz,

Joungne

11. Grunt

Grunt What's a Dremel?

Ok maybe I was harsh.. but I'm not the bad reader here.. you are..

Read that sentence again. Then read my post again:

If your computer sais 'ATA-133' then it's NOT at a 'slower Ultra DMA mode'.

So, if you have an ATA 133-cable that makes your computer say it's operating at ATA 133, then that's that. Withing a single UDMA mode there is no speed throtteling mode.

You suggested I should benchmark different ATA cables, thus suggesting there would be a difference between them. There isn't.

Yeah.. there are also companies that make speaker cables up to $1000. Same BS. The difference in speed of electrons in varius metal alloys is neglible for the speeds we're talking about. You act like if we're talking about Ghz signals here, we aren't. You suggested there HAD to be another difference between ATA-33 cables and ATA-133 cables other than the one being 40 pins and the other 80 pins (actually not pins, they both have the same amount of pins, but don't know the word for a single wire in a flatcable, i'm dutch remember). I responded to that telling you that is nonsense, which it is.

Letting someone pay $200 for a simple ATA133 cable is nothing more than running a scam in which you take advantage of your buyers ignorance. Unless you make the connectors of solid gold with diamond inlays or something like that, but I don't see how that would increase signal ratings.

It wasn't ment that seriously. Since you're taking it real serieous, I apologise.

I suggest you do the same, thank you.

That review doesn't prove anything, actually it proves my point. The difference in benches you see is nothing more than the standard deviation in a bench. If you bench a setup 20 times, you'll get 20 different results. The difference in results shown on those two screenshots don't prove that there's a difference in the cables. Stop believing marketeers. Read the results, don't look at the drive index, look at the actual measured values.

Besides that, anyone who uses Sandra for drive benchmarking shouldn't be taken serious anyways.

Last edited: 3 Sep 2004
  12. f U z ! o N

f U z ! o N What's a Dremel?

OWNED!
    sorry im just kinda hyper today

13. Redd_Herring_1974

Redd_Herring_1974 What's a Dremel?

just my 2 cents but in my expirence useing a single ata drive of any kind in an htpc just isnt fast enough to cope with the read/write demands placed uppon it especially if you would like to do any sort of time shift recording (ie pauseing live tv of watching while recording) i got best results from useing a raid 0 array for this sorta application with a singlr drive set up i had problems with the video skipping and stutering but when i changed to raid all was well after :thumb: BTW your project if definatly looking great keep up the good work

14. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

Grunt

There is a difference between IDE cables...
    (and I mean between 1 brand of an ATA-100 and another brand of ATA-100)

There are loads of reviews on the web that prove this with benchmarks.

Here's a link to a review between standard flat ribbon cables and rounded cables from Akasa - the review is on TechAngel

Back on topic:

Excellent work Joungne, what else can I say, everytime I read a new update it just gets better and better, even when I think it can't possibly be any more amazing!

Can't wait to see this complete, and I'll be looking out for your next mod ;)

Hope the cables work out ok speed wise and you don't have to redo them
    :sigh:

15. f U z ! o N

f U z ! o N What's a Dremel?

ok can we stop arguing about cable speeds? :blah: :sigh:

16. Righteous-Tek

Righteous-Tek What's a Dremel?

17. Maximilium

Maximilium What's a Dremel?

Amazing!

I Can wait to see the final result Dude, Exelent work.

:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

I have a sugestion for you with your problems with the hard drive cable, just a sugestion since i dont know exacltly if this will help.

I think S-ata Hard drives are best choice for your rig since the cables are so easy to work with, but no Sata suport on your Mobo :/

I dont know if you have the space nesesary to add an Sata controler card but i can give you a link here in the U.S where you can buy Extenders and Riser Cards .

Maybe using the Sata controler sideway may fit in your case giving you the option to go for faster Hardives. I hope this help.

J.C.

18. Joungne

Joungne What's a Dremel?

Tnx Righteous-Tek. I'm glad somebody listened to my proposal to start a thread for it. I think its the largest threadstart on Bit tech right now :D
    And what a way to join these forums...first post and see what happens. Anyway I think its gonna be a good discussion for al those who know something more then average about electronics. Count me out :eyebrow:

So we are back on track in this thread. Next update will be something for this weekend I hope. I got to go to a wedding on saturday and a computerfair on sunday so I hope I can get some work done by then.

Yesterday was a day to remember : the day I got my last compontents for the cube :) (CPY and Memory) Now I got everything to get it up and running.

greetz,

Joungne

19. Menthor

Menthor What's a Dremel?

Nice mod you got there :)
    Anyway i also wanted to say that maybe i'm stupid or something, but i can't understand about guys who are suggesting to get SATA drive. I had ATA before and now i got SATA ... it's doing much more noise than ATA drive did and has higher temperature (i have heard) and also they are slower... so pointless atleast for me and i already regret that i bought that drive :(

20. Hephaistus

Hephaistus What's a Dremel?

WOow that's a really nice project you have going there. Really congrats :rock:

Btw i'm a Gentenaar too. leuk te weten dat er goede modders in de buurt wonen