1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: HYPERCUBE² 21/03/2005 PICTURES FROM CEBIT

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Joungne, 18 Jul 2004.

1. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

thanks very much :thumb:

2. piloux

piloux What's a Dremel?

yes I do
    :)

3. Nath

and people say I don't pay attention.... :hehe:

4. Joungne

Joungne What's a Dremel?

Project HYPERCUBE² Day 7

19/07/2004

Today I made the second panel for the inside. This panel is where the DVDROM will sit on. Its the same cutout as the earlier panel I did, but this time I made pictures of every stage, so everybody can understand ;-) (Sorry if this sounds like I don't know what you guys are doing, I just want to explain every step)

[​IMG]
    Here you can see the different stages of getting the shapes on to the plexi.
    1: First mask off the plexi with some masking tape(both sides, to prevent scratches).
    2: Then I taped a printout on to the plexi (Its already cutout because I used the same print for the previous panel).
    3: Then trace over the print with a cutter and get the tape out.
    4: here the finished panel with all the shapes cut out.

[​IMG]
    a little detail

[​IMG]
    When the printout is removed the shapes are nicely cutout the maskingtape, time to make the holes

[​IMG]
    1: I'm making in every triangle a 10mm drillhole. I'm using a metal drillbit and drill it very, very slowly
    2: A very clean cut
    3: all the necessary holes drilled out of the panel, now the jigsaw comes on the workfloor.
    4: Very rough edges

[​IMG]
    speaks for itself i guess

Because some off you guys asked for some reference pictures so the scale of the case is a little better visible, here are some pictures with a dvd and a cigarettepack

[​IMG]
    frontside

[​IMG]
    backside, notice the second panel in the cube, you can also see a bit of the inside where the psu is gonna be. I was testfitting and again its fits like a glove :)

Thats it for today, i'll be back tomorrow :)

Last edited: 29 Jul 2004
  5. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

whooo nice, I like the inner structure :thumb:

6. KAMIKAZE-FREAK

KAMIKAZE-FREAK What's a Dremel?

DAMN that looks very very nicely done
    thanks for the step by step reference
    hope to see the final result soon

7. broots

broots What's a Dremel?

Looks totally awesome! :D
    Can't wait to see more!

8. Flymo

Flymo What's a Dremel?

Actually, I think the effect given by the (laser)burnt plastic is friggin awesom.
    Would make a great looking (and unusual) finish.........

Veeerry nice case.

Flymo

9. Vazzini42

Vazzini42 What's a Dremel?

looks very very nice

good craftsmanship

i was wondering what are your plans for color?
    would it be possible to encorporate LEDs in the sides sectioned off so they can light up and do chaser effects all over the case?

from what i remember about the movie, the cubes were all inside a large cube room then they all moved around, that sound right?

Vazz

10. H2O-G33K

H2O-G33K What's a Dremel?

I wasn't all that impressed with the film, and dubiously looked at your first post... but my god that's going to looks sweet :) Nice one! I actually really like the way it looks with the paper on - the burning from the laser gives a really nice look the the thing. If I were you, I'd be tempted to leave the protective cover on! :D

11. broots

broots What's a Dremel?

I was thinking the same, - something similar, but maybe a bit more "professional" would look awesome and original. :D

12. Joungne

Joungne What's a Dremel?

plastic

You guys made me really think here...
    It actually do looks nice, but why did I pay all these $$ for the INOX panels If I'm not even gonna show them?

I think I'm just gonna stick to my original idea for now, maybe I have to make a poll for this :eyebrow: (But I'm in love with INOX, its such a nice material)

@Vazzini42

My plans for lights are fairly simple, just 1 color : WHITE
    Every panel will be lit by a range of white leds, they are gonna be build into the plexi and also in the frame. Then there are the white led fans that will brighten it up a bit. Because there will be lots of leds in there I made such a big rheobus on the front... But letting them blink or something like that :confused: , thats not my kind of coffee... wouldnt know how to even begin on a thing like that

greetz,

Joungne

13. broots

broots What's a Dremel?

{deleted post}

Just realized I hadn't paid attention.. :wallbash:

14. ¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ?

¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ? What's a Dremel?

ha ha ha don't worry we all screw up sometime (me it's spelling) but ya case/cube is soming along nicely, looks very sexy if i may say

15. Nath

It looks stunning joungne, good progress. Thanks for the size reference pics, I thought it was huge but it's really a manageable size for everyday use which is good. :)

16. ¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ?

¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ? What's a Dremel?

ha ha ha seconds after eachother

17. Ducarii

Ducarii What's a Dremel?

Thats awesome man, cube was a cool movie, so was hypercube 2 lol, nice job, looks just like it. :D

18. Joungne

Joungne What's a Dremel?

Project HYPERCUBE² Day 8

20/07/2004

Time to continue on the inside of the cube. I'm gonna start making the harddisk racks. they are gonna be vertical in the case, so they need a little bit of attention.

[​IMG]
    First I'm starting on the sides of the box the HD's will sit in. Because they will fit tightly. I'm drilling 10mm holes in it, to get the hot air out of the box.

[​IMG]
    With all the four sides together it is very easy to drill the holes. Make sure you have a wooden underground so you can drill straight through the plexi. Also the bottom one will have a straight hole.

[​IMG]
    These are the front panels of the box (right) and the finished sides. The HD's will come through in the middle of the front panels. The holes at the sides are for screwing in some bolts later. (a screwdriver fits nicely through)

[​IMG]
    My glue setup ;-), the sides need to be glued to the front panels. Already seeing where this is going? No? keep on reading then.

[​IMG]
    1. I got some special glue with the plexi, but I dont really know what it is. It smells a little chemical and seems to melt the plexi a little.
    2. Getting the glue on the edges with a big needle. Pretty handy stuff (got it this way :)
    3. Putting the piece in the correct place. You have to be very quick with the glue because otherwise it wont glue anymore. (I guess about 10-15 seconds)
    4. All the pieces in place so it can rest and dry. I did this for every sidepanel. (took about 2 hours)

[​IMG]
    Another setup, everything has to be straight.

[​IMG]
    The baseplate for the HD. This is where the HD will be screwed on. I'm using this moboscrews so I can attach the HD from behind.

[​IMG]
    ittle detail of the screws in the baseplate. There has to come another plate against this one, so the screws had to be flat with the surface. I used a 3mm drillbit and a 8mm to get the top out so the screw can sink into the plexi.

Now I got some company so thats it for today. Didnt do that much :s

19. Joungne

Joungne What's a Dremel?

Project HYPERCUBE² Day 9

22/07/2004 DAY 9

Today I finished the HD racks and some other things for the inside (the core for the cube)

[​IMG]
    The two racks for the HD's ready to be glued. First I have to make the second plate under the baseplate.

[​IMG]
    1. Same size as baseplate, drilled 4 holes on the sides and tapered them out a little to fit the bolts in them.
    2. The bolts glued in place
    3. detail with the bolts in place
    4. Hd with double baseplate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Setting the HD's racks up for fitting.
    4. Glued piece

[​IMG]
    Finished HD rack.

[​IMG]
    Time to make something else...
    1. Gonna make the frontplate of the inside core of the cube. Printout and plexiplate ready.
    2. Taped them togheter
    3. Drilling the first holes
    4. It gets quite messy, but underneath it should be ok, I guess
    5. All the holes are drilled
    6. Drilling in some more holes to fit the 3.5mm jacks in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is where the 3.5mm jacks are coming in there place. The idea is that i can remove every outsidepanel of the cube. Every panel has something with a cable attached to it (toggle switches, fans, powerbuttons, LCD,...) and with these Stereo jacks I can hook them up and detach them when I want to remove a panel. And its gonna be a little nicer then the most cable messes you see inside an average case.
    The holes in the plate are for ventilation purposes. The psu and the rheobus are gonna be behind it.

[​IMG]
    Added some rubber rings

[​IMG]
    The inside is getting a little bit into shape. The frontside with all the jacks for the toggleswitches and leds.

[​IMG]
    The backside with a hole for a white ledfan and also 6 3.5mm jacks on top (still to come). They are gonna be for the 4 fans on the back and the 2 fans on the left and right side.

[​IMG]
    to finish off, a little teaser :)

thats it for today, enjoy

greetz,

Joungne

20. kill_me_quick

kill_me_quick Big and Blue

This is one awsome build, cant believe that i havnt already seen this........ive been missing out.