1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: IDEpod, Disaster: HELP! Modder in Distress!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Warrior_Rocker, 6 Oct 2006.

1. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

I think sata would be better smaller cord less wires...COol but need a PS with 5 volts and 12 volts lines.

2. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

IIRC No iPod that I am aware of runs Sata, though I guess it could be possible to run a ide > sata conversion board but that could also be met with limited success as the iPod is designed to only understand rudementary ide signals.

I do not get what you are saying hydro. If you had a laptop based Sata drive it would still only require the 5v line.

3. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

Very nice job on that, in the end it came out great. If you can get it totally working fine you'll put that original iPod hard drive mod to shame.

4. GrimReefer

GrimReefer What's a Dremel?

Ipod Mods rock

This Mod is so cool. Can I make a suggestion ? well ok but here goes. Carry on with this mod then buy ourself a IPOD to CH changer (many makes available for Kenwood, Pioneer sony etc) and put it in a box, instant 20-300Gb Cd Changer. I have just repaired my ipods otherwise i would donate one (4g version) if you need help with the partitions and firmware give me a shout , got a lot of experience there, You can even run Rockbox firmware on it. You don't need the CD adapter as you can just jack in the sound to your head unit and power the drive off 12V+ from the car (there is a simple circuit to do it , i made one from parts i found in a UPS and oly switching mode power supply) I will try and dig out the circuit. Does any one know the max lenght of IDE? could we put the HD in the glove box and the IPOD on the dash board ? how about getting another ipod and doing the same mod , then install Rockbox firmware on both (Rockbox allows you to control the pitch like the Technics SL record decks) then stick then in a brief case with a mini mixing station and a 240(110VAC for US) to 12v power pack and you have a instant mixing station with GIGS and GIGS of tracks. I currently own two 20gb ipod (just repaired ) and six Gb i got while the others were broke and I am think that the next time my ipods decides apple is getting poor this is the mod for me.

5. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

Hi there and welcome to the forums!

That is an excellent idea you have there to create a cd changer style control for the iPod. I need an iPod 3g to finish this project. The IDE jack is already on a backplate. I found out I cannot do this with a 4g though... just due to the way the componets are placed on the board.

The only obstacles really to overcome is to get your car's headunit to see the iPod as a cd changer. I was looking at some technical info on the info-link for my sony headunit. If I was better at PIC's I could probably whip something up in that department. Though they may make a premade one for the sony headunit. The second obstacle is that the ipod is designed to be able to shut it's hdd on and off. When using an HDD that both draws more amperage and also then requires 12v you have to design a circuit that senses the +5v drive voltage from the iPod's internal HDD interface that will kick the powersupply on to power the larger HDD

That is a pretty nifty idea. Actually you could build a real small case for all of this probably about the size of an optical drive. Also good call on using the rockbox firmware. I tried that out with a buddy of mines iPod Video, it was to say the least really really cool. I am an open source kinda guy so being able to get into the source and config for everything was really cool.