1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Idle Hands (caseless computer) No linux, but new reset switch!!!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Malvolio, 6 Jan 2004.

1. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Hey, thats a good idea, how do you overclock a 486 DX2? :D I wanna pump this baby all the way up to an astounding 75mhz :lol:

But seriously, how would you overclock this thing? :worried:

2. Chrizzle

Chrizzle What's a Dremel?

Um, I was just kidding; I don't know if it's possible. Today's chips and motherboards are partly designed with OC enthusiast in mind (just look at the 2500-M). You could try some crafty volt-modding. It'd be redundant though...wait a second, this whole mod is - which I mean in a nice way.

~Chrizzle

3. Tech-Daddy

Tech-Daddy What's a Dremel?

Uhm... what do you think the "Turbo" button was back in tha day???!?!
    Almost a legalized form of OC'ing.

However, fundamentally, you are right. Though I do remember some of the 486 boards having jumpers/DIP switches that allowed for frequency manipulation. Albeit very large jumps and not very grainular in choice.... :sigh:

You can give it a shot!!!

4. Chrizzle

Heh, good point about Turbo. That was a little before my time TBH, but i do remember a 266 MHz comp we had in our office with a "turbo" button. I pressed it a lot but had no idea what it did. OT: Where in Plano do you live? East or West? Just curious because I live in Plano too.

~Chrizzle

5. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

I had a 486Dx4 that I played around with for a litle while and i manged to jump its frequency from 90mhz to 150mhz and it worked with windows 98 with only 24mb of ram. But it did run hot.

I do remember seeing someone at metku.net talking about how they hard wired some pins on their dx4 and got it running at 300mhz. They said it ran at 4.5V or something. And they used primitive homemade water cooling.

BTW dont flame me for this. I am only repeating what they said. It sounded like bs to me. But then again stranger things have hapened. BTW my chip oc didnt need a vcore jump. I just set the jumpers on the mb to 66fsb from 50 and the multiplyer to 2.5 or something.

I did manage to fry that mb tho. I droped a screwdriver in an isa slot and fire came up in the mb. LOL :D :hip: :duh:

6. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

The turbo button just made the PC run at full rated speed... having it non-pressed (..) actually underclocked the system. I think it was to stop programs running too quickly on the newer processors (lol).

7. Xipher

Xipher What's a Dremel?

what was the error it gave before it paniced?

8. Malvolio

Malvolio .

I hit enter on the keyboard when it prompted me to insert the install.1 disk when I was trying to redo lilio... And from there it just gave me a keystroke error (as if I hit a key it didn't recignise), and the kernal paniced... I think it hates me :waah: Ah well, I've dl'ed RedHat 9.1 as I'm told it's easier to install than slackware :lol: If even that doesn't work, I'll just give up I guess :grr:

9. Tompa_

Tompa_ What's a Dremel?

Hello there, I installed Slackware 9.1 on my webserver about a week ago and I got those evil 99's too! I reinstalled Slackware but in the menu about lilo I chose MBR then it worked fine. Very nice project by the way :)

10. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Welp, linux refuses to take, so I'm just going to go back to 95b :waah: Will throw redhat onto my actual server rig though (old dell). Anyway, I got to moddin a bit, and made a very small reset switch (don't ask). Here's the guide and final pictures of it:

:mATERIALS
    • very small push button, momentary, spst, normaly open, switch. (I used one from the eject button of a cd-rom)
    • double pin female header thingy (just look in the damn picture, ok?)

:tOOLS
    • solder iron
    • glue gun (optional)
    • wire stripper/cutter

:tHE gUIDE
    Allright, once you have all the piece's set out as pictured below, we can begin:
    [​IMG]
    note, you MUST have them as pictured, otherwise your goldfish will die

From here, just shorten the wire to the length shown:
    [​IMG]
    length is optional, but shorter the better

Then strip the wire ends as shown:
    [​IMG]
    make the striped bit the same length as the contacts on the switch, it'll help things

Just simply solder the two wires to the switch:
    [​IMG]
    remember kiddies, excessive solder is not a bad thing

Then, use an ample amout of hot glue, and insert it onto your board as shown:
    [​IMG]
    and yes, you have to have it looking exactly like that, otherwise it will not work, period

11. Isuo

Isuo What's a Dremel?

Wow, that looks kewl, seriously.

12. Morphious

Morphious What's a Dremel?

:rolleyes: Wow, maybe you could post in recent topics! Oh wait nevermind, that'd be too logical. :duh: :rolleyes:

13. Tech-Daddy

Tech-Daddy What's a Dremel?

Parker and Independance, so I guess that would be *west* Plano (West of 75 at least...)

PS: SOrry it tooks so long on the reply, I had somehow lost this thread... :confused: )

14. GigantoR

GigantoR What's a Dremel?

Hooray for Texas, Mansfield and Denton for college here.

15. Chrizzle

UNT? or TWU?