1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project IndustriaTek RIP: 01 Oct 06 Project closed.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Th3Maverick, 23 Aug 2006.

1. Th3Maverick

Th3Maverick New Member

Hey, thanks guys. Yeah, I love the primer. I very seriously considered re-doing the entire case in it and just using a matte sealant over it, but then what would I do with my awesome flat-on-gloss plexiglass side?! Heh...it does look a lot like the grey plastic they use to make the G.I. Joe vehicles out of, doesn't it?

2. Th3Maverick

Th3Maverick New Member

TONS of new pics coming tomorrow. It's turning out fantastic! I'll post first thing when I get up.

3. Th3Maverick

Th3Maverick New Member

Okay, so here are the pictures I promised.

i got the grills in the other day, and the're much more chrome in real life than they looked in the stock photos. I've already got something in the works to fix that.
    [​IMG]

Here's a pic of the handle where I puttied over the old power button section.
    [​IMG]

Here's the final pic of the front before it starts to get the paint treatment:
    [​IMG]

And now for the top, more or less done...All I've got left to do is sand it and seal it.
    [​IMG]

Here's a top down view with them together, painted.
    [​IMG]

And here's a 3/4 view with the handle in place for a reference.
    [​IMG]

So I've got one question...should I leave that top grill chrome, or should I stealth it like I am the others?

4. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

If it's the only chrome stealth it (chrome+glossy black=good, chrome+flat colour= :confused: ). The gray & black look great together but that's changing isn't it?

Nice job on the front :thumb:

5. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

stealth that thing. This case is looking pretty sweet. nicem and stealthy and industrial like you planned, good job. I hope you carry the stealthiness into the insides even if you can't see them.

6. Th3Maverick

Th3Maverick New Member

Hey thanks a ton guys. More info and pics up tonight.

Tyinsar: I'm glossing one of the two 8cm grilles and stealthing the other...see which one I like best. Thanks for the idea, and the compliment on the front...that's the part I was and still am most worried about coming out correctly. :sigh: And yeah, the theme for this case is flat black, but like I said earlier: I still haven't ruled out the option of doing a second one later in primer grey. :D

greensabbath: Actually, I am. Drives and all, but my wife uses the computer, too, so i can't do all that until it's almost ready to be put back together. Thanks a ton for the compliment, and I loved Sangaku...something very similar was going to be my second project, but I very seriously doubt I can top Sangaku...So i've got some other ideas in the works. :D

Stay tuned!

7. LuitvD

LuitvD New Member

nice work mate :rock:
    I'm anxious to see the result of the final coat of paint on that :)

Nice puttying :p

8. SuthernKumfort

SuthernKumfort New Member

FIRST MOD?

I dont knowwhat kind of rinky dink mod you call this, but shouldnt you be posting this crap over at www.tonkatoy.com I have seen better mods completed in kindergarten on valentines day. Please, post pics of this crap somewhere where the people actually........
    Oh, wait, hey Maverick. Long time no see. Nice mod. Looking good man...

LOL Just wanted to stop by and let you know that the mod is looking quite nicely, and looking forward to that finished product. Maybe in a month or so, ill have some funds to let you mod my case for me, or better yet, let you guide me through the process. That should be alot of fun.. LOL

Just wanted to stop by and show my support bro. Lookin good. Keep it up....

SoKo

9. LuitvD

LuitvD New Member

lolz, in my head I was already preparing an angry response after those first two lines :blush:

Good to see that post wasn't all about trolling at all :D you've got me :blush:

Anyways, still very anxious to see the next update :)

10. Th3Maverick

Th3Maverick New Member

Hahaha...screw you, SoKo! :p I was like...:( I knew it was going to happen...hehehe. I'll get payback, don't worry. :D

LuitvD, thanks for being ready to defend me (or at least the forum's integrity). :D I'll do an update in a few minutes, then another big one--hopefully a finished product (yea right)--tomorrow!

11. Tyinsar

@SuthernKumfort: one post & you're spouting crap... I'm getting out the pichfork to hunt me some troll then... oh well :hehe:

/me starts hitting refresh on this page every few seconds...

12. Th3Maverick

Th3Maverick New Member

Okay, so here's the gargatuan update I was promising. As you can see from the pics, it's actually coming together very nicely. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have some completed pics for you. We'll see. :thumb:

First off, i told you guys I was gonna take into thought glossing one of the fans or painting them flat black. Well, I did each with the 80mm fans, and I decided to keep'em both. The top didn't have enough gloss on it, so I put the gloss up there, but the side panel looked ridiculous with the gloss grille over it. It won't really show through in pics, but believe me, I could tell in person. Even my wife noticed. Here are the fans, photoshopped to accentuate the gloss vs flat:
    [​IMG]

And here's a pic of the top with the gloss grille in place:
    [​IMG]

And one of the side with the flat grille in place:
    [​IMG]

Luit, here's what I did about stealthing all the internal stuff:
    Hard drives:
    [​IMG]

DVD drives and two fans:
    [​IMG]

DVD drive again:
    [​IMG]

Bottom of the top handle:
    [​IMG]

Back of the front:
    [​IMG]

Today I began the reassembly process. I didn't really encounter any problems yet...I drilled out the holes in the top and the back so I can use the hex-cap bolts with them that I've been using with the rest of the case.

Here's the back with just the fans installed:
    [​IMG]

A close-up of the bolts I'm using. Came out surprisingly clear. So clear, in fact, that you can see my shoddy painting and dremel work. :wallbash: I'll be pulling that fan to cover it in another coat of black tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

Another shot of the exhaust fans:
    [​IMG]

A side shot of the frame with the top installed during test fitting:
    [​IMG]

Here's a rear shot with the whole top, including the handle, installed. I'm sorry...i think I forgot to take an overhead shot of the top full assembled.
    [​IMG]

Okay, so I know you've been at least moderately curious about how the front turned out. I'm going to bless you all with some completed pics of the front, mostly assembled (I don't have the switches installed yet), and a few pictures of the front attached to the frame for my test fitment.

Here's the front with the knobs and the power/HDD leds installed. They may look a little crooked in these pics, but it's just funky camera angles. Also, you can see how bad my putty job really is in this light, but you can't tell it at all in person. Check out the pics later on to get a better idea of how it looks in person. Close up of the top half of it:
    [​IMG]

Here's the front attached to the frame, a top-down view of it and the top part. You can see the fully assembled top pretty well in this pic.
    [​IMG]

And (drumrollllll pleeeease...) The top, frame, and front. This is a head on picture, and I think it looks pretty damn good. :D The 120mm fan only has two bolts holding it in place...I ran out. :duh: The DVD drive is in there, too, for a test fitting...but I scraped the crap out of the paint when I put it in--it's a VERY tight fit. I think I'm going to just screw it in place and leave it there...install everything else around it. That grille is flat-black as well. :)
    [​IMG]

Oh! I almost forgot! Here's my solution to the cold cathode being too bright. I think it might be too dim with this solution, so I'm going to sand down the paint a little thinner.
    [​IMG]

More pictures tomorrow.

Last edited: 28 Aug 2006
  13. Th3Maverick

Th3Maverick New Member

Hahahaha...flattery...Thanks a lot. :D Enjoy!

14. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

I like where this one it heading. Wholsale modification of the design of a bezel can be a good thing. The only problem is that it still needs more surface prep work. You can see where the holes in the panels were previously. I would suggest a good coat of stop putty (I think that's what you were using in the tube) and after you sand that back lightly spray putty the entire thing. Any imperfections you can see at the primer stage are magnified when you paint them black (as I'm sure you found out).

I had a very similar problem in my mod and have only just beaten it. I swear I redid it at least a dozen times. Actually your bezel was looking a lot like mine at one stage (see link in my sig).

15. Th3Maverick

Th3Maverick New Member

Yeah, I know...but despite my rampant perfectionism, I'm quickly losing patience for this mod while the spare parts for my next case are also lying around my living room. My wife's kind of annoyed with all of my parts strewn about, too, so I think I"m going to leave it be for now. When I watercool it sometime in the next month I'm going to go back and fix the smaller imperfections with the front fascia and the rear blowholes. It looks great from a distance and when it's not subjected directly to the light of a camera flash, and that's all I'm really looking for in this particular mod anyway. My next one is going to be far more involved, including building a case from the ground up. This particular mod just started out as me trying to make it less bright and provide more airflow, and kind of transformed into what you see here.

Thanks a ton for the tips though...Like I said, when I get the money to watercool, I'm definitely going to take those into account and retouch the front fascia.

16. Th3Maverick

Th3Maverick New Member

Well...it's done, but I can't find where the freak my wife put all the pictures I took today. It looks amazing. I'll post them as soon as she gets home...

17. cire9753

cire9753 New Member

im jealous of your case, give to me plxz!

18. Th3Maverick

Th3Maverick New Member

Hahahaha...I'll be happy to build you one!

19. Th3Maverick

Th3Maverick New Member

Okay, so it's really late, so I'm just going to post the pictures and give you guys some commentary tomorrow. Here goes.

Here's a close up of the finished control panel.
    [​IMG]

Here's how badly I messed up the paint on the dvd drive.
    [​IMG]

Here are pics of the front and the rear when the pc was mostly empty.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's a pic of the side with the mobo in. I'm investing in some cable management stuff from AC Ryan's next month. :)
    [​IMG]

And here are some pics of the final product.

Right side all closed up.
    [​IMG]

Left side all closed up.
    [​IMG]

Here she is in her final resting place.
    [​IMG]

And a half-way decent pic of her at night with the lights on. With them off, you can't see it at all, except the power led.
    [​IMG]

Of course, this project is not done. I've still got to do some cable management, fix a few things wrong with the hardware setup, and some other bits and pieces.

Overall, I'm very happy and excited with the way she turned out. It looks EXACTLY the way I was hoping it would, and I really couldn't be happier. Anyway, I'm tired, so I'm out. More updates tomorrow. :D :rock: :rock:

20. Tyinsar

:thumb: looks (& probably works) much better than what you started with. - but, there's two things I would change (my personal preferences but it's your case so...):

1) Paint bare metal on the switches and at least the face of those chrome knobs (maybe leave the sides so you can find them when you are next to it -though they reflect a lot of light on to the case) - for me that chrome is just way too bright on such a stealth case.
    :idea: Another option would be to paint them then black then put on a UV reactive coating. That adds the need for a UV light but think how great it would look (especially if you add an otherwise invisible graphic somewhere)

2) It could just be me or the fact that black is hard to photograph but it looks to me like you didn't finish the cutouts for the back fans. (maybe too late now but ... better & quieter airflow could be had)

BUT, those are minor things. That front 120mm fan kicks the butt of whatever that thing on the front originally was. :clap: