1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project IndustriaTek RIP: 01 Oct 06 Project closed.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Th3Maverick, 23 Aug 2006.

1. Th3Maverick

Th3Maverick New Member

Thanks, Tyinsar. I've thought about redoing the knobs, and maybe even the switches, but they really don't look as chrome in person as they do in the pics. It also kind of adds to the look I was going for...I wanted it to be industrial, not necessarily stealth. I wanted the front fascia to give the impression of a control panel--and if I could take a picture of my inspiration, I'd post it and show you how very similar the two look (can't take cameras on the jet). Just trust me when I say (again): It looks waaaay better in person. :D

2) Yeah, like I said, when this started, it was just going to be to open up some airflow. I should have gone back and redone the exhaust fan mount, but I didn't even think about it until I was done mounting the exhaust fans. I'm going to pick up a small liquid cooling system for this case in a couple weeks along with the cable sleeving stuff, and when I do that's going to be where the radiator goes...so I'm going to finish opening up that hole. Just not going to take the rest of the case apart again to do it!

Yah, I love my loud-ass 120 vs that horrendous bull/fox/whatever. :D Thanks a ton, bro, and keep watching this space. I'll also be starting my next project next week!

2. dream caster

dream caster just lurking from out there

A simple mod; as you say some details to solve, but all in all really nice; five stars to you!

3. ex421

ex421 New Member

looks awesome man, good job

4. Th3Maverick

Th3Maverick New Member

Thanks a lot, guys.

5. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Are the drive air holes OK with that paint on them?

6. Th3Maverick

Th3Maverick New Member

Yah. I was very careful to spray at least ~12" away (usually farther than that) to ensure that I didn't fill or seal any holes. I checked after I got done to make sure, too. :D Nor did I spray the bottoms of any of the drives 'cept the DVD drive, and it's running great.

7. Th3Maverick

Th3Maverick New Member

Okay, so it's not done after all. Today I "acquired" an old MicronPC ClientPro and I plan on parting everything in it right now out (some PC133 SDRAM, an old P4 2.0Ghz, and Intel mobo) on ebay, and porting everything that's inside Industriatek over to the shell. Then I'm going to pick up a silent 120mm (the Sunon is nice, but just too damn loud) and start on the liquid cooling system for my new rig. :) I'll give you guys some pics of the MicronPC case when I get home. It's actually got some potential, and I may see what I can do with it once I get done with my new system.

8. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

LOL That's why most of my mods Stay "ghetto" ... I know that for me there's always one more mod, one more upgrade, one more refinement, one more ... :sigh:
    Have fun & happy modding :dremel:

9. Th3Maverick

Th3Maverick New Member

Okay, so here are my first two "refinements." Let me know what you guys think of them, if you've had any experiences with the brands, whatever.

Okay, so I need to replace the power supply because A) painting the wires was ghetto as hell, and I'm too lazy to sleeve them; B) The el cheapo POWMAX that came with my case doesn't have SATA or PCI-E connectors, and wouldn't power a newer video card anyway.
    Power Supply

The Sunon, while it does push a downright ridiculous amount of air, is really starting to get on my nerves. The fan controller I purchased won't work with it because it needs all four wires, and the fan controller only has 2...so I decided to go ahead and buy another one, since it's only $6 USD anyway.
    120mm Fan

If the Arctic Cooling 120mm fan is as impressive as I keep hearing, I may end up going through and replacing all the fans in the case with them. They're not terribly expensive, and I particularly like the way the exhaust fans look/work.

10. LuitvD

LuitvD New Member

strange, that the USD prices are almost double the EUR prices... At least, the EUR prices of these products in the Netherlands...
    That AF12025 (arctic fan 12cm) is like €3,50 here

11. Th3Maverick

Th3Maverick New Member

12. Th3Maverick

Th3Maverick New Member

Luit: That is weird. It's even more expensive elsewhere...17.99 at tigerdirect.com and >$9 average on ebay.com.

13. Th3Maverick

Th3Maverick New Member

Okay, so I finally got around to getting my new parts for the computer. It fixed the vast majority of the ghetto wiring issues. I also found a spot to wedge in the cathode. I will post some pics when I get home.

The only real problem is that the top exhaust fan won't fit with the new power supply due to the large modular connectors. Chalk one up to foresight. I'll be cutting up one of the fans to fix that issue tonight.

Next paycheck I'm getting the connectors and wirelooms for the fans, and I'll be buying a bunch of Arctic Cooling fans to replace my current fans...hopefully my living room won't sound like a server room anymore. I'll also be getting some standard chrome grills. Though I really like the way the flat grills look, the matte protectorant I used on them collects dust...you'll see it when I take pics tonight. It's ridiculous.

While I have the front off I plan on moving the momentary switch to the left to be the new power switch...Due to the way mobos work, it's expecting a momentary switch, so I have to flip it a couple of times to get it to turn on. It's ghetto. I'll also be getting rid of the knobs completely. Not sure yet whether I'm going to replace them with something else (move the HDD/Power lights there, add another for the DVD drive, maybe?) or just fill in the holes. I like the idea of moving the lights, because when you're looking down at the case from where I sit, you can't see them due to the positioning of the switches. Chalk another up to foresight.

14. 1e8o

1e8o New Member

hmmm...kinda black:D

15. Evil-Inc-UK

Evil-Inc-UK New Member

cool case mod maybe a little overboard with the spray paint how many cans u go through anyway out of intrest? notice the black paint method of cable stealthing in use dont see much of that nowadays lol maybe black braiding for cable management at some point but a good unique looking mod :hip:

hope to see more pics coming up soon if u do anymore work on it :thumb:

16. Th3Maverick

Th3Maverick New Member

Evil: Thanks. Actually, I only went through about 5 cans of black and about the same of primer. I think I spent about $30 USD on the paint for the project. I did do a lot of cable management stuff (sleeved all the cables, replaced the connectors, got a new modular power supply...actually, the same power supply you have :D...etc.) and I was going to post pictures of it, but my father-in-law needed a new case with better airflow so I traded cases with him yesterday. So...this weekend a new project begins. :D

Sadly, as of today Project Industriatek is closed. Happily, this Friday--or whenever my fans get in--Project Dark Reign begins.

17. JAxen

JAxen New Member

Looking forward to see your next project :)

18. Th3Maverick

Th3Maverick New Member

Thanks! I'm looking forward to starting it. If I have time today, I'll post pictures of the case in it's current form...I'm pretty much out of ideas for it. I've got a general idea of where I want to take it, but I still need some feedback.

19. Dracula

Dracula New Member

Nice Paint Job Man

20. Evil-Inc-UK

Evil-Inc-UK New Member

Well done with the mod nice one however i do think you should show it off a bit more and give us one or two final completion pictures.