1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project King Kong- Silverstone TJ07 mod

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ianho, 1 Apr 2007.

1. FR34K

FR34K What's a Dremel?

technicaly, that's still standard ATX(just flipped), but who really cares?

keep it up :thumb:

2. elbarto241

elbarto241 What's a Dremel?

i love the SLI stickers!

"OMFGBBQSAUCE"!

lol

3. itsjustacompaq

itsjustacompaq Minimodder

i am really looking forward to seeing this mod seen through to completion. it just quiety says "high-class that can kick your ass". you are obviously a guy that likes very nice things and knows what those things are. i love the new workstation, i imagine it is already very neat and organized.

4. ianho

ianho Silverstone Modder

Thanks for watching n also the comments guys. Here's a minor update.

Here's sum stuff I just did for King Kong. It's a fan intake filter. With the amount of fans I'm using to cool King Kong, lotsa dust is gonna get in if I dont do sumthin bout the intake air.

So I made sum fan filters for the intake fans. Here's what I did.

I bought sum normal plastic fan grills like these.

[​IMG]

Next up, I had to cut sum nice thin sponge pieces to fit.

[​IMG]

The fan grills looked kinda restrictive to me coz it has so many fins. No worries. Here we go with the choppity chop chop again. I trimmed off every alternate fin like this.

[​IMG]

Time to put the sponge between the 2 grills n sandwich them together. I also took the time to clean off the nubs left behind from teh cutting to make the fins look nice n clean without the nubs like the picture above.

[​IMG]

b4 fan filters.

[​IMG]

Voila! With fan filters.

[​IMG]

Here's how it looks like with the fan grills on.

[​IMG]

I'm pretty happy with with how it turned out. A nice cheap mod which only costs a few dollars for nice clean intake air. I'll be making 2 more filters for my lower compartment where the HDD cages too.

5. ianho

ianho Silverstone Modder

Here's what I did today.

I attached a MagLite Solitaire to the side of the ROM cage so that I can use the flashlight while working on the rig at night. This is so I can shine the light inside to reset my CMOS and all that. This was the MagLite mod.

[​IMG]

I found that the light from the MagLite was not bright enuf. It's really bright for such a small flashlight but not enuf for working on the rig at night. So I got myself a nice fat blue aluminum LED flashlight n put it in the rig. 1st thing I had to do was to get a bigger holder for it coz the holder for the MagLite was too small. Here's what I used.

[​IMG]

N here it is with the flashlight in it.

[​IMG]

Now comes the bad news. The flashlight is just a teeny weenie bit too fat n the snowflake window scrapes on it when I put the side panel back on. So, I removed the bracket n flashlight. Relocated it onto the motherboard tray like this. I now haf a really bright white light when I hafta work on the internals at night. :thumb:

[​IMG]

6. Koradhil

Koradhil What's a Dremel?

Very nice! I like what you did to the front and the bays, I might steal your idea with the placing of the fans (and do it even better :D).

7. ianho

ianho Silverstone Modder

What r ur plans on the intake fan placement? I initially thought of putting the fans right behind the intake grill but I squashed that idea coz it'll leave a big gaping hole behind the 6 Optical slots n also will be more difficult to remove the fans for cleaning. Putting the fans further in like I did also reduces the intake noise n fan noise.

How's ur TJ07 comin along dude? I thought u were a CoolerMaster sponsored modder. How come the sudden change to Silverstone?

8. Koradhil

Well I haven't received the case yet. I phoned the distributor today and they sent it out immediately so I'll get tomorrow hopefully. Also they sent me a Recom 600w modular PSU and the necessary fans.
    I'm planning to place the fans back the way you did, because of the reasons you described. Also it will be better with the placing of the radiator.
    One of my first big projects was a SilverStone TJ03 (Nimex, which was at CeBIT in 2006 but never really finished). Cooler Master started sponsoring me after that so I'm just going back to my roots. My new project will be the successor of Nimex (only 10 times better :D ).

9. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

Nice work looks very neat :)

10. ianho

ianho Silverstone Modder

@Koradhil Cool, I will be sure to check in on ur TJ07 project. Then I can take sum ideas from u too. :D

@Gordy thanks, glad u like it.

11. ianho

ianho Silverstone Modder

OK. After going tru weeks of mods n the OS transition to Windows Vista. I finally got down to sorting out the pix. Here's the rest of the pix I have of King Kong as it appeared at the Silverstone LANparty.

Silverstone sent me a SG03 case a couple of weeks ago. I'll be building my 2nd rig with it. I can then use the SG03 rig for my daily work while I strip down the TJ07 n do even more mods on it. Right now it's kinda difficult as I already have all the hardware in it.

Here comes the pix.

King Kong sitting on my new workstation which I renovated a few days after the LANparty.

[​IMG]

Front view. This is the front faceplate mod + super 2x120mm fan intake mod. This is so that the 2x8800GTX n super OCed X2 gets lotsa cool fresh air.

[​IMG]

Night shot of the rig.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The top window mod.

[​IMG]

Front 3/4 view.

[​IMG]

More pix coming right up.

12. ianho

ianho Silverstone Modder

Oh ya. Sum1 PMed me about the size of my pix being slightly oversized at 800x600. I'm really sry about that guys. I cant do anything bout these pix though coz I uploaded them a while ago, all in 800x600 to Photobucket n as u all know Photobucket doesn't allow batch resizing. It'll take 10 years to resize them individually. Once my new Silverstone SG03 is up n running, I'll start modding the TJ07 again n this time all pix will b in 640x480.

13. Koradhil

Looks slick, nice job :) Check out my plans with the TJ07.
    Did you do anything to the powerbutton to make it light up, or is that just some excess light from one of the fans/ccfls ?

14. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

You got cool workstation, with CS:S ;) Looks much what I would want my own workplace look like. I would like to see your entire workplace in one pic (consisting those cool monitors! :D)...

Also, nice mods, waiting to see more! :thumb:

Last edited: 12 May 2007
  15. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

I like the project but I am confused why is it called Project King Kong, I dont see anything so far that relates to king kong unless your not done yet, you might have explained this in the thread already and I probably overlooked it but ya I was just curious.

16. ianho

ianho Silverstone Modder

@Koradhil, U'll c the button thingy in the next batch of updates. I'm picking out the pic from photobucket. Should be up soon.

@Evenge, OK, I''l post a pic of the complete workstation in the next update just for u. :thumb:

@HourBeforeDawn, I haven't got to the King Kong part of the mod. I had 4 weeks to get it ready for the Silverstone LANparty which was a bit of a rush. I did sum of the major parts, installed the hardware n brought it to the LANparty like that.

Part of the reason y it's called King Kong will b up in the next update. The major reason y it's called King Kong? That'll hafta wait till I get the new SG03 project up n running. I can then empty out the TJ07 n get down to it.

17. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

Just for me! :eek:

Thanks! :)

18. Koradhil

Wow somehow I missed the desktop update. Those monitors are awesome, I thought my 22" wide Samsung 226BW was big :hehe:
    By the way, why did you use wood for the fan mounting, instead of (anodized) aluminum?

19. ianho

ianho Silverstone Modder

Wood? What wood? I didn't use any wood in my mod.

20. Koradhil

Oops I thought this was wood, but I guess it's acrylic with protective paper ?

Last edited: 14 May 2007
Tags: