1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Klingon 900, July 18th 2010

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Deadpunkdave, 18 Jul 2010.

1. Deadpunkdave

Deadpunkdave ...why you need a 20-sided die

Project Klingon: Introduction and Stage 1

Hi there, this is the first mod I've attempted and I thought I would log here to gain some tips and feedback from your very knowledgeable selves. My all purpose PC is housed in an antec 900. Great case, but with a few problems which I hope to rectify along the way:

1) Noisy. Never got round to replacing the fans.
    2) Blue LEDs. Which are fine, but after 3 years, you want to be able to turn them off and for them to be less blue.
    3) Isn't Klingon enough. This is the one which so many case manufacturers just can't get right, it makes you wonder if they're even trying...

I imagine much of what I do won't be terribly (or at all) original or professional, but I've never done any of it before, so really this is a learning experience for me rather than anything else.

At the moment I have plans for the first 4 stages of this mod, but rather than bore you, I'll put up some pics of the first stage, which I just finished.

Stage 1: Engraving - Adding a Bat'leth

For non-trekkies, the bat'leth is the Klingon blade you've probably seen even if you don't remember it. It happens to fill the side window of an antec 900 quite nicely. Google images and the GIMP provided a rough reference, though the engraving was done pretty much free hand.

Setup for engraving:
    [​IMG]

Engraving finished (for now):
    [​IMG]

Back on the case and running:

[​IMG]

Not a terrible job for my first time I hope you agree. I may decide to do a whole custom side panel at a later date, but only if the rest of my plans go well. Oh, and yes I will sort out cable management. This machine has bits swapped in and out so often thats its never been worth doing but for the finished thing I'll make the effort. Thanks for stopping by and for any advice/criticism you might have along the way. Stage 2 coming soon :cooldude:

2. Deadpunkdave

Deadpunkdave ...why you need a 20-sided die

Stage 2: Adventures in acrylic

Yay for Saturday afternoons. Again, acrylic is not a material I've worked with before, and the dremel did get away from me on a couple of occasions but I'm much happier with this than my attempt at engraving. Here's prep, the pieces cut and the finished symbol of the Klingon empire attached to my case:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Obviously it means I can't put a side fan on so anymore, but this should look good once I have employed my goodies from phenoptix. Just noticed a little glue squished out, so I'll clear that up as well. The engraving looks like such a poor job now. I'm going to use the rest of the translucent acrylic I bought to make a replacement side panel, and leave that one without any amateur doodles. Hopefully I can fit that in tomorrow, otherwise, roll on next Saturday :lol: