Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ARTbyTROY, 24 Feb 2005.
wow this is turning out to become one of the coolest mods i have seen! hurry up with the updates!!
I just had to pitch in... I've not visited these forums for about 8 months... too much in RL and I'm not that great at modding... I did one nice job but after seeing Orac, I was seriously outclassed.
I couldn't keep quiet on this one though...
UTTERLY AMAZING.... can't wait for the final product.
(have fun sleeping at night tho )
I took the two right hands and made one of them a left hand by cutting off the thumb and pinky and duct taping them on their opposing side. I also removed the lining and cut down the pair of leather gloves.
I connected together and then soldered a fan power cable onto each of the two side by side 12 LED brake light assemblies, heat shrinking all the connections as I went. I used door edge molding to line the strips up to each other and then wrapped them with electrical tape in the center and on the ends.
Below are the spikes for the backs of the arms being assembled, I made the spikes out of scrap plexi from the local hardware and each consists of four layers of plexi. The middle two layers are the spikes, the zig-zag spike layer was sanded for a frosted effect and the inside edge was heat polished, the outer two layers are there only to provide a channel for the rows of LEDs. I glued the layers together and when dry I placed the LED strip inside the channel and wrapped it with duct tape for good measure.
Here they are all lit up (with flash on)...
Below, no flash... much bling.
We recently replaced our hot water heater and didn't use all the foam for the pipes because they were short, the leftover piece (top of below pic) will be formed into the flesh of the arms. I also bought a long length of a smaller diameter thinner foam to fill in the musculature of the arms. Everything I used to make the arms is shown in the picture below.
Below shows the upper arm assembly roughed out and ready for some foam detailing. The insulating foam tubing cuts easily with a serrated edge steak knife. I also plugged in all the cables for the speakers before I started filling it in.
And below you can see why... it is all held together by good old black duct tape.
Here they are almost finished, I added a little more foam to the left forearm since the below picture was taken and it no longer looks deformed (though for something like this deformity wouldn't really matter). The arms are very light weight (around 5 lbs. each), which is a good thing.
The picture below shows the arms fleshed out (minus what I added to the left forearm) and installed. The arms go on and come off really easily, which was one of my big goals for this mod and necessary for the removal of the abdomen and chest sections. Now I have to wrap them in leather, that's not as easy as it sounds due to the spikes and speakers... but I have a plan.
Very original, good job.
Awensome work. Really diferent PC.
WTF this is new, and Cool, but strange.....
Nice Work on the Everything
I ve seen it befor in a naked woman.. but this is more modding then that one.. keep on going!!!
those hand look very realistic .....nice one !
This thing is awesome! I love it, and its scary as hell looking. You'll own everybody at LANs with your case, and they won't want to mess with you lol.
Here are the arms all wrapped up and installed, they came out better than I could have hoped and things are moving right along.
ACRyan sent one of their smoked Acrylpanels for me to use as a base for this mod, I have nothing but good things to say about this product... it is thick as hell and very easy to work with. I masked the entire sheet off both front and back and marked it with a sharpie for cutting.
Now that it is cut to shape I will mark and drill the holes that will hold the mannequin to the base. While I was at it I also drilled holes for the puzzle box and wiring to go through.
I had decided right after I got the Acrylpanel that even though it was plenty sharp looking as is that it would look better if I vinyl dyed a section from the puzzle box onto the bottom of it.
So I re-masked the whole thing, drew my pattern onto it and attacked it with an X-Acto knife. Below is the masked section all cut out and awaiting a coat of black vinyl dye.
And in the next picture you can see it after I removed the mask, next I sprayed it with a very pale yellow coat and topped it off with a final coating of black.
And the finished back painted Acrylpanel base is below.
Since there will be wiring for the power button below the base I decided to use some case feet from a Lian-Li and two that I snagged from my daughters PC on the bottom of the base. I vinyl dyed all of the feet black and installed them.
Next I test installed the puzzle box, it will be held in place two screws inside it.
I have already installed the power switch into the box, but haven't taken a picture of it yet. Below is the finished base, all that is left now are wiring mods and final assembly... not far now.
WOW... Just... WOW...
Holy Cow that thing is sick!!!
D A M N !
*this rocks so hard it makes me want to *
Dude! That rocks!
holy heck!! amazing mod so far - keep it up! it's great to see a change from the "normal mods" (cases with windows and lights)... seeing something completely original is great...
wow it looks out of this world
I like this more and more wich each pic.
omg this thing is soooo cool
Nice work fellow modder
Unholy Sh** !! That is one cool mod
Separate names with a comma.