1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: LAN Truck (My First Mod)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Ant, 6 Jul 2004.

1. Ant

Ant What's a Dremel?

Thanks, got a few of the pics of the casing from the tft to now protect the main board as i reckon something damaged it when i packed all the cables into the pc!
    [​IMG]
    Mounted on to the panel

[​IMG]
    in the truck, might have possible been the inverters for the cold cathodes that caused the problem, as they where just jammed inside, possible touching the board. I have now stuck them on the psu as you can see in the pic! Surprising when something goes wrong you then fixit, this was the only part of the truck that i had not cleaned up!

Ant

2. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

Good grief this is a hilarious project. I especially love the consideration for cable carraige as many LAN PCs seem to leave that out of their plans. Excellent toolwork as well.

If you need a smaller, more portable keyboard I recommend this one...
    Fellowes USB Stowaway Keyboard
    [​IMG]

I have a spare one if you want to buy one at a cheap price.

3. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Looking very nice, how fast can it go?

<A88>

4. Wossack

Wossack What's a Dremel?

Problem with Tamiya models (imo) is that theyre more display pieces rather then racing models (built for comfort not for speed, as they say). What he could do, is get a decent motor/speed controller (this'll free up internal space) and machine some new drivetrain pieces out of alu with his cnc machine to take the higher stresses. Though, Id be really worried of rolling it with 500 quids worth (rough guess) of pc gear in it ;)

Anyways, I just had to fire in my 2p

Awesome work Ant ;)

5. Ant

Ant What's a Dremel?

Thanks, The truck can go actually quite fast, but I would never open it up again, Did it the excel center in october, just to see how fast it would go! Had no problems but did lock up the rear wheels when I hit the brakes as the floor is quite slippery! :D Would not want to take corners fast thou. The rig weighs close on 10kg, so there is alot of weight when rolling!! Here is a pic of going down a ramp outside the center!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The motor in the truck is a 80x1 so is very strong! can pull off in 3rd but it does struggle better when in 1st!

Ant

6. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

Or if you dont have the 60 bucks to spend you can allways get this one.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2282,CONTENTID=6636
    [​IMG]
    i know i hotlinked it, when my picture surver gets my ftp fixed i will host it myself

I have it and its tiny and easy to use. I know it says its ment for a PS2 but i use it with my computer and it works flawlessly. All of the keys work, even the windows key even though it has the logitech logo on it. Its aprox 10.5"w x 5.5"l x .5"h and dosen"t weight alot. i love i. Its like a laptop keyboard for a regular computer but all the keys are full size exept for the F1-12 keys and the number keys. Its also pretty silent unlike some big keyboards. One thing you must do befor you use it is, plug it into the computer you want to use it on (with the other keybord still pluged in) while it is on. Then wiat for it to find it as a keyboard. Next just shutdown, unplug the old keyboard and bott back up. Now enjoy you slick new small black keyboard. Hope this helps Ant.

7. Ant

Ant What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the suggestions on the keyboard. I am however using the Logitech DiNovo keyboard,
    [​IMG]
    it fits into to the trailer a treat and also matchs the colour of the truck. Also being bluetooth makes it great for lans, as i wanted a wireless set for it! :D

Ant

8. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

that keyboard set owns :rock:
    did you say the truck has a 80turn motor? :duh:

9. Ant

Ant What's a Dremel?

yep its a 80 turn motor so very strong for pulling all the weight! and it works very nice with the gearbox in the truck! :D

Ant

10. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

good god, lol
    I use a 27turn motor and a 19turn quad :baby:

11. Isuo

Isuo What's a Dremel?

That case is a piece of art. It looks really sweet. And it even looks realistic. :clap:

12. Ant

Ant What's a Dremel?

Thanks Isuo. Keir I have a 12turn quad in one of my 4WD buggies, now that shifts!! :D Got to love RC's. Oh my new TFT has arrived so will be fitting that in tonight taking care not to damage the controller board as that failed on my last touchsceen. Least i have the rest for spares thou!

Ant

13. Isuo

Isuo What's a Dremel?

Hey, this just came into my mind. I hope someone of you understand what I mean. Well anyways. As you hace all kinds of stuff coming out from the 'sides', eg. usb ports. I suggest you to do one of those plastic-fabric covers that most of the trucks have.

14. Ant

Ant What's a Dremel?

I did actully think about doing that but just did not have enough room to fit within the rear body! Tft is alive again, after months of nothing, i finally bought a new screen, tested my orignal on the new board and it worked so it was defintly a faulty main board. Made a few tweeks to make it more protected, also made a piece that clamps the monitor cable on the back.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Next task to put it all back together! :D
    Ant

15. Enak

Enak Also known as Kane

Mmmmm Bleuu :dremel:

16. Ant

Ant What's a Dremel?

Finally got it all back together :D Below inside shot of the pc,
    [​IMG]
    and of the truck up and working!
    [​IMG]

Its nice to have it working again, and i can now continue with some more mods to it! Going to put some extras fan to pull some cool air above the screen. And during xmas i will do a new video of it driving,with sounds and all!

Ant

17. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

mmm, cant wait!

18. Ant

Ant What's a Dremel?

Just took a nice pic of the truck in the dark thought I would post it up :D

[​IMG]

Ant

19. Zero_Distortion

Zero_Distortion What's a Dremel?

old I know but I just saw it, Im in the middle of pretty much the same mod, Im getting out of my current occupation and going to give my Uncle a hand in his trucking company, I was going to make him a machine like this as a gift. Man you beat me to it, but GREAT job. I myself will probably use some kind of full sized rig model hopefully all metal and thick and heavy.

20. Zero_Distortion

Zero_Distortion What's a Dremel?

If the air breaker on the roof is removable, consider mounting the optical there coming forward if you like the truck on your desk facing you.