1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Project Leviathon start date 06-05-06

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Oclocker, 6 May 2006.

1. Oclocker

Oclocker What's a Dremel?

OK am just posting as a record of the strat date of my Project will list my intention for her and any idea/ridicule feel free to comment on appropriate forum :).

OK aim a small PC the levitates up from surface when powered up - and must be ALL wireless no hardwires at all self contained + be ALL wireless I/O etc no battery power involved..

I think its doable wife thinks I'm nuts etc - time will tell..

End date this year (possibly..)

Post comments here :)

Last edited: 6 May 2006
  2. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

Neat idea but the wife might be onto something, erm power cables, monitor, etc?

3. Oclocker

wireless power?
    monitor part of case..

4. Oclocker

OH not neccesarily using RF wireless for all needs..

5. crazydeep74

crazydeep74 What's a Dremel?

Why dont you post this log when you actually start the project?

6. Oclocker

Project has started - pics when my gicam gets returned - from initial tests I should manage 1.5kg weight easily - at what point does a project start? when jigsaw bites metal or when the idea happens in the brain. My project started last night in my head. Just interested if maybe best to post elsewhere until project of a more physical existence - but too late for that now..

Right I have some research to do ..

7. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

Your mad!

8. Oclocker

raving probably! :) But isn't that a prerequsite to be a hardcore modder :)

but I am confident!

9. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

Your link is broken. LoL, I think the mods have spoken.

I'm still interested as to what the heck you're talking about!

10. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

This sounds like a great idea, Oclocker. But you know the rules. :) Project logs when project is visibly started with pictures. Until then, it will be moved to modding ;) When pics come, PM a mod and we'll move it back!

Also, Project logs are now returning to their old way...no seperate discussion. Therefore, I have merged these threads.

11. Oclocker

Abs not a problem - actually I didn't know the rules as not a regular in these Modding log forums for many a year - NOT an excuse of course more an expalnation that I didnae realise. I think I'd best get my hiper dvd player size one finished then start this and I will be back with pictures even if they are of my abject failure..cheers

12. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

No worries, mate. Can't wait to see what you'll be bringing us!

13. roadkiller

roadkiller What's a Dremel?

Wireless power? Since when is that possible? :eyebrow:
    I'm interested though in which way you're gonna try to levitate it.
    Magnetic field (whatch your hardware), hovercraft-method (I doubt it can handle the weight)...?

14. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

you can do it with an inductance loop...not sure what the rest of the computer components (Hdd?) would make of it though :(

look in the electronics forum, ConfusedFishcake make a mouse charger like it.

15. gideon

gideon What's a Dremel?

charging a mouse with inductance is something else than throwing 500watt or something through the air, i don't think your pc is going to like all the magnetic fields etc. make a movie when you power it up could be fun :naughty: . how are you going to let it levitate? magnetic, air, alien technologies :D . whatever you do if this is going to work it's so damn cool :D

16. elctroJunky

elctroJunky What's a Dremel?

Well, wireless power was possible 100 years ago, when Tesla build his first energy transmitter. There's no problem with that except strong electromagnetic interference. Ever tried to have a plasma ball near your computer? They're running on small solid state Tesla coils. These things produce enough interference to trigger the keys on your keyboard ^^

So you would need a very good shielding against RF for your components. As of now I know only two ways to do that without a wire coming going from the computer case to an earth ground. Both methods are unavailible to normal humans. (First would be some special metal that shields this kind of radiation, used in CRT monitors, hard to work with and very expensive. The second one would include superconductors...)

But even if you can shield the hardware, the interference would render normal RF interfaces (such as wireless keyboard/LAN/VGA etc.) useless.
    So the only safe way of communication between the computer and the rest of the equipment would be to modulate the RF field of your power source (like RFID tags do it with the powering RF signal from the RFID reader circuit).
    Problem is, there's no availible solution for that, so you have to develop your own, which requires high skills in HF circuits and digital/analog signal processing. Of course a 500W RF signal would travel a few miles, that fact may get you into trouble with your local laws.

Well, this project is not impossible, but requests very high skills and a lot of time. And if you can get this working you sure as hell become a very bright star in the modding scene.

17. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

Now reading the initial post, I'm going to say that such a mod is in fact impossible.

The power requirements will be astronomical. I assume that you want to completely levitate the entire case such that an object can pass through completely underneath. Correct? Well, to do that, you have to take three dimensions into account. There is no way you'll be able to even model such a device that is balanced in 3 dimensions, let alone build it. If you're thinking "if maglevs work, why can't this"., think about the differences.

I don't mean to be too discouraging, it's just that I cannot see any way that this could work. Every option I can think of is astronomically implausible.

18. Oclocker

Yes induction was thought of and disposed of milliseconds later for the reasons people have said. I had a toothbrush while back it was induction charged - never was much cop TBH.

Oh and Impossible isn't in my vocabulary.. Nothing is impossible - just not achievable with current technology (so get inventive or patient :)

my specs are pc must levitate and have NO internal power source & no hardwired connection. Oh and wireless isn't just RF p one example of that is infra red vcr controllers etc & for the really old modders I could mention audio remote controllers for the TV :)

I assure people that the technology exists - enough power CAN be sent wireless - main problem is getting it to scale to the size I need!

Will be researchin etc for a while and doing two overdue mods (Hiper HTPC (will be on projects as started & pics exist) plus promised Mrs I will automate her DVD/CD storage system (£70 for 2 @ misco bargain!)

19. elctroJunky

elctroJunky What's a Dremel?

There are several ways for magnetic levitation.
    One could use a method where a metal case is attracted by a strong electro magnet above it, constantly switching on/off the magnet can result in a stable levitation(there are in fact some small sculptures, that use this method to levitate a mirror ball...)
    One could also try to use two electromagnets (more likely you would need multiple electromagnets to keep the case stable in 3 dimensions) one magnet at the case and one at the base station that repel each other.
    With the proper alignment of the magnets (I would try at least four at the base station) the case would have no other choice but go upwards. And with a proper adjustment of the power of the magnets the case won't lift too high.

20. Oclocker

Mate your adding 2+3 and totalling 8.

To clarify here I said levitated case Though to clarify the case will levitate once powered up but it won't do the levitation itself (though will control its levitation as it powers up and down. So without the power requirements of levitation then sums get a lot easier .. The levitation part is the simplest IMHO :)

Oh and Marty McFly on Back to the Future when someone calls him chicken - thats me when someone says impossible :)

Last edited: 7 May 2006