1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: LEXA

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by The boy 4rm oz, 10 Apr 2008.

1. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

I can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve rigormortem.

2. Montspy

Montspy New Member

Awesome job !
    Your mod is sooooo beautiful !
    I hope I'll make a mod as beautiful as your's one.

Montspy.

3. The boy 4rm oz

Thanks very much Montspy.

However sadly after 2.5months of use she is in pieces thanks to a blown motherboard lol.

4. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

Nicely done..
    The blue/green lighting looks great.. You also shot some VERY NICE pictures of the interior of the machine..
    Congrats on the FIN.. get that new MB installed..
    MS

5. The boy 4rm oz

Thanks MS, I think the pics turned out pretty well. Yeah I am still waiting for DFI to return my mobo then I am back in business.

Also I replaced the Thermaltake Extreme Spirit II NB cooler with the stock DFI one. The stock cooler cools better passively than the Tt cooler does with its 40mm fan. I have a 60mm fan ready to go on the cooler when the mobo comes back.

6. Attila

Attila still thinking....

2.5 Months?......Bah! time to start a new mod. :hehe:
    Glad your mobo's getting sorted. :thumb:

7. The boy 4rm oz

Yeah it is about time I start a new mod, I have a few planned, don't worry ;).

8. Mino

Mino Ganzerli Mino

LOL
    It's the modder damnation, lot of ideas and so little time to develop every project :)

9. UltraModder

UltraModder Play Hard!

Really nice mod. Have you ever though instead of doing the engraving do sandblasting on the plexy? It would make the plexy react to the UV light very well and no deep cutting into the plexy. Im thinking of doing something like that on my build I'm currently on.

I also found a fan that you might really be interested in. A bit pricey though. They are Nanoxia fans and come in 120 and 92mm and come with a fan controller.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. The boy 4rm oz

I never thought of sand blasting cos around here it is a bit pricey, plus I only wanted the plexi to have a slight glow, the water cooling is the main feature, not the covers ;).

Yeah I looked at the Nanoxia fans but yeah they are a bit expensive plus you can't get them in Australia and I didn't want to order from outside Australia. Plus I still wanted to have a blue glow from my fans, the Nanoxia ones can't give me that as they are UV lit instead of blue lit.

Thanks for your comment though ;).

11. The boy 4rm oz

Almost forgot.

I should have my mobo back just after easter. DFI think I damaged the NB when removing the heatsink, that's what was causing my board not to boot. Costing me $100AUD to fix it :(.

12. UltraModder

UltraModder Play Hard!

Very understandable, either way you did a good job on everything. Keep up the great ideas!

13. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

It came out fantastic. It seems like the prettier the system, the longer it stays up on blocks.:(

14. The boy 4rm oz

@UltraModder - thanks a lot mate.

@ Cheaps - I wouldn't call it exactly pretty, it isn't now lol, in pieces everywhere with it's guts of wires everywhere lol. And to think I was actually a little disappointed with my plexi work in the end, I miss-calculated somethings and had neither the time, resources or cash to set them right, still turned out pretty well IMO, there's always next time ;).

I am going to be completely redoing the loop once I get my mobo back. The design will be almost exactly the same but I will be relieving some tension in a few of the bends and I am upgrading all the clamps to screw tighten stainless steel clamps. I needed 16 of them so that was another $32.00AUD I had to spend. I was also thinking of upgrading my Q6600 to a Q8200 as it is only $250AUD, my Q6600 was $330 when I first got it. Another thing I am going to do is add a 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1 to the rig and eventually ditch the WD 320GB drive for an SSD. Of course this means re-moddeling the HDD cover.

I am still hanging out for my mobo and by the looks of things I wont be getting it before Easter.

15. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I finally got down to reading this and I have to say, great job TB4O :)
    You'd get a rep from me but I have to spread some around. :clap:

16. The boy 4rm oz

Thanks a lot stoned.

While my PC has been in pieces I have been doing a bit of work on the case, stuff I should have done before installation. I have cut out the rear stock fan grill as it was ugly and impeding airflow slightly to the radiator. I also trimmed down my HDD bay cover to make it easier to remove and install and to make it easier to modify for when i get my second HDD.

On the motherboard sides of things DFI are still screwing me around. I am trying to get them to upgrade my busted 680i board to an X48 board. If or when my replacement mobo gets here I will do another photo shoot to get some better up to date pics.

I will keep you all posted.

17. ModaRobby

ModaRobby New Member

it seemed like at first you were gonna have one of those cases that would look like a toy with too much UV stuff but this case came out clean and amazing. If it was mine i would look at it everytime i left my room. Great idea with the plexi and mesh combo, one-of-a-kind.

18. The boy 4rm oz

Thanks ModaRobby. Yea I was a bit worried it was gonna look a bit fake and childish but the lighting and the pieces came almost exactly as I wanted. Lol, sometimes I catch myself staring into the neon glow goodness of the water cooling. Check out my LEXA Revival thread in my sig to have a look at the few things I have changed, I will be uploading the final photo shoot tomorrow :D.

19. Sushi Warrior

Sushi Warrior New Member

Gelid makes the exact same fans (called Gelid Wing 12) for much less money.

20. JBZG

JBZG I don't knoww....I have a PARKSIDE.

another 'go to guy' ...I know it's old...but I appreciate the pain and learning that this mod/modder has gone thru...+rep500 (if I could...BOI!!!!)

Last edited: 7 Dec 2009
Tags: