1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Lian Dragon - Small update March 22nd, 2005

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by adamjones01101, 3 Sep 2004.

?

What paint scheme should I use? (Don't worry 'bout lighting, now)

Poll closed 30 Nov 2004.
  1. Rust/Industrial (like Piloux's HL2 mod, stripes and all)

3 vote(s)
    3.6%
  2. Really sleek, smooth, powdercoated, dark candy-red from Sumax

81 vote(s)
    96.4%
  1. adamjones01101

adamjones01101 Minimodder

Alrighty then! Let me begin by saying that Bit-Tech is by far one of the best modding sites out there, not only because of the projects and things going on, but also because of the amount of cool stuff that is on the site, like all of the user-submitted guides.

I am relatively new to modding, but have been wanting to do it for years. Thanks in advance to anyone who helps me achieve my dream PC. At my school, in order to graduate, you have to complete a senior project, consisting of a research paper (in my case on a classical artist) and a product that can be whatever you want (the idea is that it's passion-based). I chose to build and mod a computer for my product, because I thought it would be an awesome time and a great learning experience.

Now, I'd like to present my victim, ahem, my project:

Newegg.com has presented me with the best prices around; thus, I have taken advantage of this. I picked up a Lian-Li PC-60 case for 112.49 (this includes shipping) because I had heard that these are great cases, that offer themselves well to case modding and the like. I knew I would be drawing a lot of power with some of my components, so after a lot of thinking, I decided on an Antec True550 PSU. I have researched long and hard, thought about future upgrades, and decided that an Athlon 64 3000+ was going to be my processor, and an Asus K8V SE Deluxe was going to be my mobo. So, to the pictures!

My Case (packaged):
    [​IMG]

My Case (slightly packaged):
    [​IMG]

My Case (unwrapped):
    [​IMG]

My PSU (packaged):
    [​IMG]

My PSU (retail-boxed):
    [​IMG]

My PSU (unwrapped):
    [​IMG]

My PSU (installed in case):
    [​IMG]

My Case (with PSU installed):
    [​IMG]

My Mobo (retail-boxed):
    [​IMG]

My Mobo (the contents):
    [​IMG]

My Mobo (installed):
    [​IMG]

My Mobo (installed, close-view):
    [​IMG]

My processor (OEM):
    [​IMG]

Now that's what I call fast delivery! (look at my speedometer, we were going 75, and it was passing us!):
    [​IMG]

The side window cutout picture:
    [​IMG]

The front bezel slide decal picture:
    [​IMG]

I am planning on making the case mainly red-lighted, instead of blue or green or UV like many other cases out there. I am also planning on doing some PSU cable management similar to ORAC3 (with the metal conduit). I also have a PSone LCD screen that I am planning on mounting in the top drive bay of the case, like my58vw's. However, mine will be motorized. Let me know what you think! Also, I live down the street from a body shop. I'm going to see if they'll paint my case for me for free, primer, clearcoat, everything. Thanks for any replies you have!

Last edited: 23 Mar 2005
  2. -Enforcer-5716M4

-Enforcer-5716M4 What's a Dremel?

I think it's great that you are going for red lightning instead of blue or green, since they are so conventional. Maybe you should buy red "neon" instead of "cold catode", since it looks much better :D And I simply love the thought of using shower hoses for the wiring, I also thought about doing that for a future mod. The only thing that's bad with that is that you will have to pull out every pin of the cables, since the plastic cover won't fit through it....

What sort of GPU (graphics processing unit) will you be using?

Last edited: 3 Sep 2004
  3. DrPepper

DrPepper What's a Dremel?

What about Lian Dragon? :p

4. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

Looking sweet. And that UPS truck looks so gheto with the flames. Be careful when picking out red ccfls. Most turn out to be pink :eeek:

5. crash32953295@msn.

crash32953295@msn. What's a Dremel?

Ha i agree a lot of cold caffodes that say red turn out pink, btw anyone want 2 pink cathodes hehe.

But yea looking nice keep posting pics :rock:

6. Tech-Daddy

Tech-Daddy What's a Dremel?

That truck is a source of competition amogst the UPS drivers. If memory serves me, it is awarded to the driver who is most efficient in the completion of their route. Dont know if it is weekly, or monthly, but I think it is kinda like a inner form of "who can be the best" in the region.

... I "think"...
    Nice components, and lovely dragons! (duh-rhuul!) :thumb:

I look forward to seeing how these cuts and dragon theme are implemented!

7. -Enforcer-5716M4

-Enforcer-5716M4 What's a Dremel?

"Most turn out to be pink"

I know!!! This happened to me to! Buy neon not ccfl :D

8. adamjones01101

Here is the rest of my shopping list (damn Internet Explorer kicked me off), so give it a think and tell me what you feel.

(in the order I'm buying them)

ATI Radeon 9800Pro 256 DDR:
    [​IMG]

Corsair XMS 512MBx2 Memory:
    [​IMG]

2x Western Digital 250GB SATA HDD in RAID 0 array:
    [​IMG]

Watercooling/peltier setup consisting of, but not limited to:
    1) Eheim 1250 Waterpump
    2) 72-watt peltier
    3) Heater core from car, preferably bought on eBay
    4) Reservoir, still TBD
    5) Waterblocks, TBD

ASUS 16x16 Dual Layer DVD+/-RW drive:
    [​IMG]

Logitech Z-680 5.1 Channel speakers (Muuuuuuuuch farther down the road, seeing as they're $225 USD :sigh: ):
    [​IMG]

I will probably be using mainly high power Luxeon LEDs to light the case, but again, if anyone has any better ideas, give it a whirl. Thanks for all of your replies! It was awesome coming home after only 5 hours of work, seeing the rapidness of the replies coming in. Thanks again! Lastly, I probably don't need a sound card just yet, seeing as my mobo has integrated 6-channel sound, but if any of you have any ideas for a good sound card for under $100, let me know this too. We'll have to see how the PSone screen hack goes. :thumb:

9. JF04

JF04 What's a Dremel?

to get rid of the pink all you have to do is get a red sharpie and color the whole outside of the tube red, it worked if for a pink one i had, changed it to a nice red.

10. Autobot

Autobot What's a Dremel?

OR you can simply purchase a true red CCFL kit. I have 2 red PCToys dual 12-inch CCFL kits and they are a nice deep red and are really quite bright. Good thing is that Pchcables.com has them for only $6.45. I pop over to there retail store in Hillsboro, Oregon from time to time to see whats new. If your stuck on getting Luxeon LEDs, take a gander at moreleds.com. They are based in the same business complex as pchcables, literally a stones throw away, and are really friendly and knowledgable. I went over and talked to a guy that works there and he is just cool as hell. He will talk your ears off about whats new in LEDs. Plus they have some damned good prices. Just givin ya some options and tryin to help a fellow modder out. :D

11. KAMIKAZE-FREAK

KAMIKAZE-FREAK What's a Dremel?

right
    your idea's are great
    and you hardware looks cool too

12. adamjones01101

Thanks again for all of the replies! Also, thanks for the sites, autobot! moreleds.com has way better prices on luxeons than some other websites I've seen. I think I may go with the 1 watt ones, because A) I can't afford $41.71 for little lights, and B) I will probably end up looking into my case, and don't wish to go blind in the process. I also plan on mounting the LCD in the drive bay in a visor mounting kit, so does anyone know where I can find one of those? Thanks again!

Edit: I also have a Pioneer Slot-Loading DVD drive, but I'm not sure if I want to keep it or not, in favor of a more graceful drive, where you don't have to push the disc in halfway before it proceeds to chomp it. If anyone knows of a slot-loading DVD drive that is more like a car's, let me know, because the drive is LOUD! :grr: My birthday is coming up, and I asked my parents for a Dremel Multipro Variable speed w/flex-shaft attachment, so we'll have to see how that goes. If I get it (on the 10th), then the modding shall commence quite soon. If not, then I'll have to save up some more money first. Peace!

Last edited: 5 Sep 2004
  13. adamjones01101

Oh...Wish me a happy birthday! :D

14. Twitch

Twitch What's a Dremel?

What are you cooling with a 72 watt peltier? If its your processor then I would deff. recommend a 226watt peltier, and if its your video card i would recommend an 80watt pelt. Also, what do you plan on powering the pelt. with? Cause i wouldn't suggest running it off the same power supply as your computer.

15. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

wow, nice rig.... Got some pretty cool gear there. :).

16. ¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ?

¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ? What's a Dremel?

2 qeustions. what 64 bit is that, and where in Canada do you live?

17. paradigmqc

paradigmqc What's a Dremel?

DON'T buy logitech **** !!! :duh:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    full fidelity 2.1 monitoring with subwoofer and two satellites

LX4 Surround Expansion Satellites adds 3 satellites for complete 5.1 surround system

60 watts for sub, 27 watts per channel for satellites

8” subwoofer with 6 power amps

satellites feature 4” polypropylene drivers and 1” mylar drivers

small enough to fit anywhere (no AC routing)

satellite power supplied by subwoofer

ported enclosures for optimal fidelity

six 1/4” TRS balanced inputs

[​IMG]
    dynamic range (satellites and sub): 100dB (A-weighted)

frequency response (satellites and sub): 40Hz–20kHz; +1dB, -3dB

mid-range/ tweeter crossover frequency: 2.9kHz

RMS SPL @ 1 meter: 102.5dB (satellites); 105dB (sub)

signal-to-noise ratio: 82dB @ 1 watt (typical, A-weighted)

crossover frequency: 140Hz

low frequency -3 dB cutoff: 40Hz with 6th order alignment

satellite size/weight: 8.5” (h) x 5.75” (w) x 6.25” (d); 4.4 lbs. each

subwoofer size/weight: 15.6” (h) x 10.63” (w) x 12” (d); 30.86 lbs.

WEBPAGE
    http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/LX421System-main.html

18. adamjones01101

You're totally right...I wasn't really paying attention to what I was writing down. The 72W was going to be for my GPU. Also, even though I have a 550W PSU, you don't think it can handle a 226W peltier, or is it just that it's not a good idea to run them on the same circuit? I'm not too familiar with the differences in power requirements for different components. I need to be educated in this! :duh: Actually, when I get a chance to meet with my senior project mentor, I'll ask him some more about it (he's an electrical engineer). I also may exclude the peltier from the GPU and just run straight watercooling to it. Thanks for the info, though. It actually helps me a lot, as I haven't built a peltier or watercooled system before.

It's the Athlon 64 3000+, and I live in upstate NY, not Canada.

Only problem with that is, I don't have $550 to spend on speakers. For the meantime, that's pretty much the main reason I was going to go with a cheap(er) Logitech 5.1 set.

Thanks!

Last edited: 5 Sep 2004
  19. CYRiX

CYRiX What's a Dremel?

Name Ideas:
    Dragitron
    Dragitation
    Dragonination

20. ¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ?

¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ? What's a Dremel?

the Z-680's are a great set of speakers @"paradigmqc" Logitech speakers kick @ss, best on the market, and even if they od manage to break they send you a whole new set, no qeustions asked, best warrenty service i have ever seen