1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Lian Dragon - Small update March 22nd, 2005

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by adamjones01101, 3 Sep 2004.

?

What paint scheme should I use? (Don't worry 'bout lighting, now)

Poll closed 30 Nov 2004.
  1. Rust/Industrial (like Piloux's HL2 mod, stripes and all)

3 vote(s)
    3.6%
  2. Really sleek, smooth, powdercoated, dark candy-red from Sumax

81 vote(s)
    96.4%
  1. adamjones01101

adamjones01101 What's a Dremel?

lol! Again, everyone seems to think I have all of this cash! I really don't! I'm just resourceful in how I spend the money (most of the time). If you people want money, you have to work for it just like me (not saying you don't work hard, though).

2. adamjones01101

Damn...I believe I possibly killed my PSone screen. It was all wired up, and I set it on my desk next to my computer. As it was turned on, but not showing any images, I checked all the connections and set it down again. But this time, one of the wires from the 12-pin connector on it touched a transistor or something on the back. No smoke, one spark, and now my screen won't turn on. :duh: Guess I'll have to concentrate on my cooling system now.

3. adamjones01101

Just thought I should make a small update...
    [​IMG]
    ^ The computer up and running (without the cooling system, yet)

[​IMG]
    ^ And the internals (bad wire management)

4. Franklin

Franklin What's a Dremel?

That cable management makes me wonna :waah:

5. Oo_Scotty_oO

Oo_Scotty_oO What's a Dremel?

cable management ? :eyebrow:

6. adamjones01101

I know, I know...I already said in the caption that it was bad wire management! lol...Anyway, this is just this way until I can get the time to work on my cooling system. When that's finished, then I have to have better cable management.

7. adamjones01101

Small update, I have the computer in fully working order at the moment, but I have a question. My harware is listed in my sig, so you can check there, but has anyone had any problems overclocking the same CPU as me? This is my problem: I overclocked a little at a time, all the way up to a 224 MHz increase in the FSB, and when I went to another increase in the FSB (to 225 MHz), the computer wouldn't boot.

So I figured to just restart it and clock it back down to the stable 224 MHz. I rebooted, did this, and let it go through the POST. It went up until the hard drive is supposed to load the OS, and then it told me that the file "System.ini" was corrupted. I know that this is part of the master boot record, so this forced me to reinstall Windows. This was a few weeks ago, and I've done it a few times since, changing a few factors each time, with the same results, and I've reinstalled Windows XP Pro about 6 times, and I've had to call in twice to reactivate it.

Anywho, the question basically is, has anyone had the same problems with overclocking this CPU, or any of the other hardware that I have? (except for the video card, that will be flashed to an XT later) I have since decided to use my second hard drive (the Maxtor) as a backup drive for all of my saved files and such. I'm just kind of annoyed, because the cooling was fine, even with an increased voltage, and it keeps corrupting the master boot record of my main boot drive.

8. Rh1n0x

Rh1n0x What's a Dremel?

Perhaps quite offtopic for a project log but and I have absolutely no experience with 64'ers.

You've corrupted your harddrive, so you don't lock your pci? I would :eyebrow: , Maxtors don't like high rates.

Why reinstall? Windows XP ha(s)d a R (Repair) option. Just make a boot floppy etc.
    Used it al the time in my Elitegroup k7s5a nonpro@pro @150/150 and some crappy hdd. Saves lots of time.

Maybe you have to add a little more V. for your core? perhaps the stepping sucks?

Ontopic: Get on with your dragon cut man! :naughty:

9. adamjones01101

Thanks for the reply. I've already tried most everything except creating a recovery disk. My PCI isn't lockable, as it is an ASUS board, and my boot drive is my SATA Western Digital, not the Maxtor. I actually even tried increasing the voltage, but not too much as there is no extra cooling yet (I'm actually designing the phase-change block right at this moment). Thanks alot, though. It's nice to know that people will actually take the time to respond when I have a problem.

Oh, for the dragon panel, I don't know if I will be able to finish in time for my deadline, as I have many other things going on at the moment. I am thinking of sending it over to the guys at Custom Watercuts to get it cut very cleanly.

Last edited: 3 Jan 2005
  10. adamjones01101

Very soon, I will be attempting to slow down my busy life to work on the case panel. I realized that because I'm going to college after this schoolyear, I don't have the money to spend on getting a case panel watercut. I'm going to have to finish it myself.

Also, I am currently working on designing the cooling block for the phase-change system, which I will end up having CNC cut for free, considering the president of the company ( http://www.heatsink.com ), is the father of one of the kids on my robotics team. It's all CAD-based, so I won't need to do anything but draw it up and buy the copper. I'm going to buy a 1.5" X 6" by 4" block to CNC the heatsink out of. In the next few days, you should see a drawing of my concept for the block.

Any input would be awesome! Thanks!

~Jones

11. ModKid

ModKid What's a Dremel?

made by a friend of mine, he's very skilled in phase change and chillers.

[​IMG]

If you think away the tubing and image it's a suction tube with an evaporator than you'll get the idea :).

more on haegkoeling.nl

12. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

About the HDD thing: Every time this has happened to me, cranking the overclock back down solved it.

However, a mobo with a lockable PCI/AGP bus would solve this. Poor me, I have nearly the same mobo as you (the non deluxey version) :(.

13. adamjones01101

Small update: I did a little bit more on the Dragon's head for the window, and decided to cut off the little whisker thing that comes off the top of the nose, because it was just too flimsy. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

I also started actually sketching up the design for the cooling block, and once I'm done, I'm going to draw it up in AutoCAD, then give it to my friend's dad to CNC out of a block of copper for me. Secondly, concerning the cooling system, I started grinding the black powdercoating off of the compressor, and I'm going to paint paint it either gold, or the same color as the case, a deep crimson.

Oh, speaking of colors, I probably won't get the case powdercoated, because I'm guessing that Sumax is going to charge me for it (even though they know it's for a school project). Sooooo...I actually found that the widest selection of colors I have found for paint yet actually comes from Testors, the model paint. They have a HUGE selection, as well as a good selection of primers too. There's also a few new thoughts I have had. I also like the magenta/gold Mirage paint from Duplicolor, and may opt for this instead. Any thoughts?

I also managed to get my hands on a few MONSTER Papst fans, and will use one to draw air through the condensor, and another to suck air out from under the compressor to cool it.

I bought a new motherboard, the DFI Lanparty UT nF3 250GB, and should be recieving it either tomorrow or Tuesday. I picked this one, mainly because not only does it have a PCI/AGP lock, it also looks uber-sweet and has everything else I want, too.

Oh, lastly, I have another part to my project that should be beginning soon. I bought a 12V 20-Pin ATX socket. Can anyone (besides Tulatin) guess what I'm going to do with it?

14. Neo4

Neo4 What's a Dremel?

godd work :dremel:

15. adamjones01101

Ok, small update time, piece by piece:

DFI LanParty UT nF3 250Gb - Installed everything (physically) correctly, but the board does not run my video card for some reason. I'm still trying to get Newegg to let me RMA it, because I want to purchase a different brand. DFI is willing to RMA it and replace it for me, but I don't want another of the same board if it is just a compatibility issue with the card (which I honestly don't think it is, but I don't want to take the chance, or the time that it may be a compatibility issue).

Dragon Case Panel - On hold for the moment, because the workable part of the project needs to be finished very soon, and the cooling sytstem really can't wait. Don't worry, though! Over the summer I plan to finish it, and then paint the whole thing (still trying to decide what color) and I also have future mod plans.

PSone Screen - I've been attempting to find one at any of the Toys 'R Us stores around my area, because I know that many people have had luck finding them, because the stores never sold out of them, they just stopped stocking their shelves with them.

Phase-Change Cooling System - This is the real icing on this post. I finished designing the cooling block that will sit on top of the CPU to cool it. It's a maze design, similar to a waterblock, but has a two stage cooling effect (don't confuse this with cascade - cascade would not fit in the case). The pictures pretty much explain themselves, and you can see how the block works. The radiator still needs to have the elbows brazed on, because I haven't had time or effort to do that. After that's done, I should be able to really get rockin' on putting this whole thing together!

Bottom Maze Block:
    [​IMG]

Top Maze Block (exactly the same design as the bottom):
    [​IMG]

Top Maze Block (Shows how the top fits into the bottom):
    [​IMG]
    Basically, the stem in the center of the top block fits into the center space in the bottom block, but does not reach down to the base, as it is only to guide the capillary tube to spray into the center space. The two holes on either side are the escape holes from the bottom block to the top block so the coolant can circulate the oppostie direction in the top block. In other words, the coolant in the bottom block circulates from center--->outside, and the coolant in the top circulates from outside--->center, and out of the return tube. Let me know what you think!

Soundproofing - Because this thing will probably be a beast of sorts (in terms of decibels), I needed some way to quiet it. I looked around online for quite some time before I stopped on Silent Source, a recording studio supplies seller. On their front page, I thought, "ugh, this is what I've been looking at for the past three hours!" But it wasn't, as soon as I delved slightly deeper. I found that you could order individual sheets of their large variety of soundproofing materials, and I called them up and ordered 16 sq ft (2 sheets) of this stuff:
    [​IMG]
    So not only should it be quite functional, it should also look freakin' sweet!

Hmm....I think that's it, I know I haven't updated in a while, so I thought you guys were way past overdue (like my library books, which I need to pay off).

Last edited: 23 Mar 2005
  16. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

i've got a stripped one from interac and a still in box one from them too. the in box one needs an adaptor to be used with compsite tho - it's a rca -> 1/8" jack adapter it's like $7 at ratshack. Want?

17. adamjones01101

[offtopic]

I've been working on this for the past few weeks in my Engineering class, and I just thought I'd share it with you. It's a ballista, which is basically the predecessor to the modern crossbow. The only difference is that the one I built (or am building, whichever) and a real one is that mine is about 12 inches tall, and a real one is about 12-20 feet tall. The real ones can launch boulders and bolts hundreds of feet.
    [​IMG]
    Tell me what you think.

[/offtopic]

I ordered the ASUS K8N-E Deluxe mobo as a replacement for the DFI board I think is defective. Newegg normally charges a 15% restocking fee, but one of their representatives emailed me saying that they would waive the fee if I send the new order number (which I did). I read a lot of reviews about the ASUS board, and I'm thinking it was a good buy. Can't wait to get it! I need to still contact my friend's dad about CNCing the block, but it shouldn't be too much longer before you see some tangible product.

I also installed some of the soundproofing material that I bought. The only problem is that they sent me the 1.5" stuff instead of the 1", which is what I actually needed! Eh, it doesn't really matter, as all I had to do was cut some of it down to fit. The case is dramatically quieter with a solid side panel and soundproofing. Once I get the phase-change system together, I'll install the soundproofing in the rest of the case, to make it really quiet (although, now that I think about it, those Papst fans I got are pretty loud, and with two of them, the case noise may be about where it is now when I'm finished with it).

Last edited: 28 Mar 2005
  18. scifi3018

scifi3018 Minimodder

Where is the energy coming from?

19. adamjones01101

For what? The cooling system, or the ballista?

If it's the ballista, then there are going to be rubber bands for power (four on each side), and then there will be a harness in the center with a bottle cap for something to hold the projectile. Then thereis going to be a ratcheting system in the rear, with a string attached to the bottle cap to pull it back. Then, hit the ratchet, and ZING! There it goes.

If, however, you are talking about the cooling system, then I suggest you read the project log.

20. Rh1n0x

Rh1n0x What's a Dremel?

You should watch the beginning scenes of 'The Gladiator' lots of Roman Ballista /w flame arrows action there..

I'm still wondering what happened to that window of your, I believe it was a lot of dremelwork? :confused: Is it finished? will it be?