1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Lian Leaks - Big update 2 8th Jan 2007

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by steelyglint, 10 Nov 2006.

1. steelyglint

steelyglint What's a Dremel?

Felt the urge to get modding again, hence a new project log begins.

A little background perhaps. Unlike my previous project this one started with me actually spending money. An offer of a Lian Li V2000 that had been subject to an abandoned mod, and at a price that was just short of extortionate.

I originally was going to do a quick build using some existing components and basic aircooling....however, I then found the triple 120mm rad from my previous project hiding in a box and was offered a waterblock for an ATI X1900 so plans had to change :sigh:

Best post some pics to keep you all interested. I'm going to use thumbnails to keep the threads short...give them a click to see the full size pic.

The case as delivered by UnkleRosco (also a poster here..see his Project Log )
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please note window holes already cut and nicely modded fan controller. Also very neat sleaving job done on all the fan cables that have been neatly routed. This is all going to be stripped out...Sorry UnkleRosco :waah:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few sundry items also came with the case. Fan shrouds and PCI card holders.

[​IMG]

Precut plexi for the window cutouts plus some random mesh. None of this will be used.

[​IMG]

More soon :D

Last edited: 8 Jan 2007
  2. steelyglint

A few more thoughts on the layout and just where on earth I'm going to fit that triple rad. It cannot go in the top of the case as it will foul half of the mainboard.

Brainwave :dremel:

PSU plate spun 180

[​IMG]

Rad should now fit in the lower section

[​IMG]

Just enough room!

[​IMG]

So it looks like all those lovely drive bays in the lower section are going to have to come out! Several million rivets later...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next question was which way to mount the rad. After a moments thought I decided that if both lower windows had mesh instead of plexi I could mount the rad on it's side...should get plenty of airflow!
    You have to imagine the roll of masking tape is the pump!

[​IMG]

Traditional shot of modders pet :thumb:

[​IMG]

Also found one of the reservoirs from previous project. Thank you to Mrs steelyglint for the loan of her hand in test positioning res.

[​IMG]

That's about it for today. I'm waiting on delivery of some parts...pump, cpu block, tubing, fittings so I can accurately position and measure everything.

Comments are very much welcome :D

3. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

nice cat...

4. steelyglint

He is indeed a very nice cat...he says thanks for the compliment.

5. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

ya nice cat, I love pure black cats so sleek and elegant

6. Ultimate Gamer

Ultimate Gamer What's a Dremel?

Very Nice work i will have to subscribe to this one :D

7. UnkleRosco

UnkleRosco What's a Dremel?

That cat is evil, evil i tells ye... Where'd u get that drill??? Please tell me its somewhere on the northside!! Looking forward to seeing what u do with this.. Off home tomorrow to work on my own rig.. If u need anything polishing.... dont ask me ;-)

8. Ultimate Gamer

Ultimate Gamer What's a Dremel?

that looks like a dremel to me not made by dremel but another company

9. steelyglint

Tis a Minicraft tool. Fifth one down on THIS page. I also have their mini-jigsaw

Much smaller and lighter than a Dremel...although I have one of those too.

10. elliod

elliod What's a Dremel?

good work man cant wait to see the final result.
    keep up the good work.

11. steelyglint

Never trust websites to give you accurate specs on gear.
    I had searched long and hard for a decent PSU that was SHORT. Several places listed the Tagan Dual Engine 500w as 16cm long so that is what I ordered.
    It (along with various other bits..more later) arrived today.
    Oh ::insert expletive here:: it's 18cm long so my plan to have the rad on it's side has to be binned. All part of the modding experience I guess :eyebrow:

Much staring, tea and smokes later we have a new plan.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Have to rotate the psu backplate round to its original position and I think we have a solution.

[​IMG]

Not a lot of room between rad and psu!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In fact virtually none! But it will work.

[​IMG]

Not much room at the other end of the rad either.

[​IMG]

Laing pump also arrived today so started playing with locations for that and the res.

[​IMG]

X1900 waterblock as bought from unklerosco

[​IMG]

And after a little polishing session

[​IMG]

And finally a shot of various goodies that arrived. CPU block and mounting, cooling fluid and black tubing.

[​IMG]

All I have time for today. Best clear the kitchen of modding evidence before Mrs Steelyglint gets home :D

12. UnkleRosco

Noice...

I've that 5.25" to 3.5" converter here n 4 mounts for that res ur using if u want them... pm me if ur about this week

13. steelyglint

I want!
    PM on its way

14. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

I really think you should mount the reservoir on the top of the case with the tubes coming down on the far right side of the case. that res is so beautiful it would make a sweet accent piece. Although I can understand if you want to keep it all internal. It might also be cool if you slot the right or left side panel and mount it vertically to the drive bays so that it's half in and half out making it less obtrusive and more viewable.

15. steelyglint

Now that's a good idea. Curse you....going to have to rethink again! :dremel:

16. steelyglint

Another day...another update :D

Have spent many hours over the past few days on how to mount the res and pump, and the routing of the water loop. I do now think I have a final(ish) solution.
    I'm going to mount the existing res externally at the back of the case. I tried to imagine other options but all involved either spending money or cutting even more holes in this case.

Reservoir mounted on the cover that originally covered the front fan. Holes drilled through the 80mm fan mounts for the tubing. I may cut out both fan mounts and replace with some 8mm plexi I just aquired....might be neater.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pump mounted on silicone washers to stop any vibration and test tubing fitted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One polished dual hard drive cooler...not done by me...thanks Unklerosco :)

[​IMG]

Wider view. The vertical pipe will go direct to CPU block and then to GPU before being routed to HD cooler.

[​IMG]

I'm thinking to leave the polished HD cooler exposed at the front as a nice shiney accent to all the brushed aluminium.

[​IMG]

Here it is again but with a polished filler strip in place.

[​IMG]

As always all feedback and ideas very much appreciated...so get posting! :clap:

17. UnkleRosco

I'd get "lian leaks" engraved onto the front of the HD cooler... that'd be cool... N polish the rest of the case :)

18. steelyglint

I like that idea...I wonder how steady my hand is with a dremel :dremel:

Not sure if polishing the whole case is on the cards though...I think just a few polished accents.

Just got the mainboard that's going into it so can get that fitted temporarily over the weekend and iron out any problems with the pipe and cable routing. Want to get as many cables hid as possible.

Apologies for lack of pictures but just finished a hard 14 hours at work so off to bed...another 14 hours to do tomorrow :sigh:

19. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Don't polish the whole case... would be too much of a re-do of one of Coolermeister's cases IMO. Some accents standing out would be a nice addition though I have to agree.
    And get that engraving done... awesome idea.

~subscribed.

20. steelyglint

I just got hold of a big sheet of thin zinc sheet that polishes up lovely.
    I think this may well come in handy for hiding horrid cables etc :D

Going to practice my engraving skills over the weekend but I think I may find a pro to do this.