1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Lil' Monster

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Sparky1987, 25 Jun 2011.

1. Sparky1987

Sparky1987 What's a Dremel?

Hi Bit Tech Fans,:read:

This is my third build since i got into the bussiness of pc's, tech and what not...
    But this will be the first ive taken pictures of to show you guys.:D

As you all well know theres been alot of builds and mods in the not so distant past so i thought id get in on the action and try one for myself.

When i originally started thinking about what i wanted from this build, i soon found it difficult to descide what to go for.
    So really it has been a ongoing progress of ideas, and basically trial and error senario.

The main aspects of the build was to have something alot smaller as a desktop but still have the guts to do all the things a standard desktop can do.
    To have somthing fun and different from my other builds.
    And to have a quite pc, this i found was the most difficult.:grr:

To start i suppose ill tell you what gear i decided to go for.

Here it is:

CASE: LIAN LI PC-Q08B
    PSU: CORSAIR AX750
    M/B: GIGABYTE GA-H55N-USB3
    CPU: INTEL i7 870 @ 2.93GHz
    RAM: CRUCIAL BALLISTIX TRACER BLUE 4GB DDR3
    GPU: GIGABYTE GTX 560 TI SOC 1G
    HDD: VELOCIRAPTOR 300GB 3GB/S 16MB CACHE
    DRIVE: SAMSUNG BLU RAY COMBO SH-B123L/RSBP
    FANS: ENERMAX APOLLISH VEGAS BLUE 120MM AND 140MM

I descided the best thing to do was the buy all the parts i wanted and then see exactly what i needed to mod to make it suit me.:)

Here is some pics of the build first put together.

Side View. As you can see the PSU covers up all the pretty hardware, so this was a major problem that needed to be sorted.
    [​IMG]

This is the original layout of the rear panel.
    [​IMG]

After seeing what i didnt like about the build i went to work on some concept sketch up drawings.

Here they are.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking at my options i soon realised that this wasnt going to be easy, and that i had limited tools to get the job done.

with the past experience of my other builds i already knew that getting perfect cuts and bends was almost impossible without the right equipment.
    So i descided to get the rear panel made for me.

It took a long time to make, and many emails to get it right but i was very pleased with the outcome. :)

Here is the pics of the panels made for me by Chilled pc.

This is the M/B Tray and the PSU Housing Bracket.
    [​IMG]
    This is the rear panel to hold the I/0 shield, PSU and GPU.
    [​IMG]
    This is how its ment to go together.
    [​IMG]

Ill have another update later on today or tomorrow.
    Thanks for checking it out.

Let me know what you think so far. :D

2. Sparky1987

:DHi heres the extra update i promised,

Hope you like it :)

First off i positioned the bracket roughly to give me an idea of the space i had to play with, in a mini itx case not alot.

[​IMG]

I then went on to drill and tap the M/B stand-offs.

[​IMG]

I did have a bit of messing about trying to work out the exact position of the M/B on the tray but all was well in the end.

[​IMG]

I did however need to put two lots of 6mm stand-offs together to get the required height, so the I/O shield fitted correctly.

I was originally going to rivet the plates together but decided on screws instead, so i could take it apart if need be.

[​IMG]

I used a 2.5mm hss drill but and then a 3m 0.5 thread tap to create the hole.

[​IMG]

With both plates screwed together the mod was finally starting to come together. :)

[​IMG]

At this point i was really pleased with myself as the measurements i gave chilled pc were from a ruler, so not what id call acurate.

I then went on to mask up the entire rear panel of the case ready for cutting. As i said before my limited tool selection ment that i had to use a jigsaw with a metal blade to cut the back out.

This turned out to be very straight forward :)

[​IMG]

As you can see i needed to adjust the cuts slightly to match the ally back panel.

And heres the after pic.

[​IMG]

I aligned the edges of the back plate with the case squarely and drilled and taped a number of holes around the edge of the case to fasten the plate.

Here is the pics of the rear panel in place.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The next update due this week hope you like the mod so far, opinions welcome :D

3. leslie

leslie Just me!

Like you, I liked that case, but thought the layout was terrible. Not just from a visual perspective, but from a practical standpoint. They ruined hopes of a good quiet heat sink, something a box like this craves.

Even though I wanted a more "cube" shape, had they given it the layout you have chosen, I would probably have bought rather than make my cube.

Have you sourced your pci-e cable yet? I fear you may end up in trouble there due to length. Otherwise, I like it!

4. Sparky1987

Hi thanks for the input 'yes' is the answer to your question I managed to source one from the US I bought 2 for good measure. :) I'll put another update this week when I'm not working all night and all day lol.

5. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

You go boiii!!! Must see more:dremel:

6. Sparky1987

Right then update 2.

After a really hectic week at work, ive finally got a spare moment to post this for you guys.

Here we go!!

As from before i got the rear panel fixed in place with 3mm screws, heres a pic of the plate mounted to the base of the case.
    With both side panels removed the case had a real strenght isssue so putting this bracket in made it alot more sturdy. :)

[​IMG]

I then started to put the rest of the hardware in the case to be fixed to the rear panel.

Here is the psu in place using the same method as before taping and screwing.

[​IMG]

Here is a side view of the psu in place. You can see that mounting the hardware this way is much more space saving for a case so small. Gold Star for me! :D

[​IMG]

If some of you were wondering how the gpu was to be mounted, then heres your answer, i deliberately got the plate made with a return at the top of the pci slot so as to fix the gpu bracket to it.

You might be able to make it out in the picture, but it does work honest :)

[​IMG]

Here is also a side view of the gpu in place. it looks like its floating in mid air lol.

[​IMG]

The major problem with this design was getting the gpu to work in the position its now in. After many hours scanning the web, i finally found the cable i was after, its a Flexible PCIe x16 cable 15cm long. i Bought 2 for good measure they were fairly pricey but they work perfectly. Wahoo! Thank god for that.

Heres how i done it.

As you might be able to see in the pic, the flexible riser slots into the pcie x16 slot and then runs behind the gpu to the base of gpu.From the picture you can see that the gpu is close to the M/B but all is ok, i might make a piece of perspex to fit between them, so they dont sort out, im not worrried as yet though.

[​IMG]

Here at the bottom of the card i then slotted the gpu card into the riser socket.

[​IMG]

After fitting the pcie riser i found that the card had a lot of play in it as it was seated like i normal gpu would.
    So i made up a ally bracket to hold the female part of the pcie riser.

[​IMG]

So thats all for now ill have another update soon for you lot, with wiring etc, theres still loads to do on this project its knowing what to do next thats the tricky part.

Heres some more angles of my build so far.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I hope you like my progress, let me know what you think, its always nice to get some replys with ideas and opinions.

Cheers.

7. shomann

shomann Minimodder

SFF modding at its finest!

Very good ideas, and the case will keep its look. Airflow will be improved immensely for the big heat generator. I don't see anything I would do different!

Are you going to go all black, or custom paint scheme?

8. Sparky1987

Hi thanks for that i had thought about going matte black and blue on the inside, and have a custom job on the outside i know someone that can print vinyl in any design which is really making me think about what i want it to look like.

I think the design is the most dificult part to get right.

9. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

I loved how the card floated. Could you not get the support bracket mounted to the bottom of the motherboard tray so it still looks like its floating or will the bracket server another purpose?

10. Sparky1987

Thats not a bad idea.:) I did have in mind to make up a boxing section to go underneath the card from left to right so all the cabling is hidden as well as that bracket.

11. Sparky1987

Hi Guys,

A little update this one but just to keep the ball rolling :)

From this picture you can see that ive got pretty much all the cabling in position. I wanted to get it up and running so i knew if it all worked properly and so i had a better idea of the cable managment required to make this build look good. :)

[​IMG]

Here is a few other angles of the build so far.
    Remember this is only a rough put together.

The power and reset button cables im gonna have a go at sleeving with black braid and heatsrink as they are rather ugly. Im also going to have individually sleeved cables throughout the case ive bought extention cables from aquatuning to save doing to much braid myself as ive never done it before, but what id really like to do is detach the special corsair psu connectors and fit them to the new extention cables.

All the slack cabling will be stored in that space infront of the psu.

[​IMG]

Im going to have a cover made to go underneath the gpu to hide the pcie slot and bracket and also give me extra cable ways.
    All the ally you see at the moment will be matte black.

[​IMG]

I havnt installed the top 120mm fan as yet due to limited fan headers on the M/B, this handily gave me the chance to place the HDD on the top of the case for now.
    The HDD is a WD Velociraptor 300GB but im not happy with it due to the noise it makes, so im gonna swap it for 1 or maybe 2 SSD's at the end of the build to quieten things down, the clicking noise is so annoying.:grr:

[​IMG]

Heres the rig up and running it looks nice but i cant wait to get it all done :D
    The outer design is still in concept phase and i havnt come up with anything solid to show you guys, this it seems will be a last minute choice to finish it all off.

Even the project name is subject to change.

As far as the front usb port holes are concerned, i think im gonna put something alittle more fun in its place, tba.....

[​IMG]

Hope you like it so far.

Cheers guys :)

12. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Nice and tidy so far, subbed :thumb: