1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project LilyPC by E.E.L. Ambiense - Abandoned!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by E.E.L. Ambiense, 12 Aug 2012.

1. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Just a quick little update letting you know that the situation with Cooler Master has been rectified. I also posted this in the BIO log too. The opening log post has been updated to reflect this change of events. I don't want any reader to think I'm some bitching lil' git or something because that's not how it was; I was angry and it was cathartic for me. I simply voiced in public (after exhaustive attempts at contact in private) about being wronged and it was fixed. Justice, if you will. I just hope CM uses it as a learning experience; you can't lose touch with your supporters, customers, partners, etc.

Deepest thanks and gratitude to Bill, Richard, Antony and Nic (CM US) for working on this. Your help is completely and sincerely appreciated. Raymen the STELLAR super-rep from CM Taiwan is a master of the craft. His reputation proceeded himself and I have nothing but nice things to say about him too. I've accepted the apology and accept the support by CM Taiwan going forward for my projects, so I can't ask for anything better. I just wanted an apology, TBH. Forgive, forget!

Don't you feel the love? :naughty: Yeahhhhh...that's right....come'ere...lemme give ya a big smooch!

Thanks BTW to whomever for the less-than-stellar star-rating on some of my logs. Someone alerted me to this and I found it funny considering how I pay my bills. :lol:

2. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

Good to hear things worked out well. Look forward to seeing this completed :)

3. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Awesome result at long last. :clap:

Hope MSI follow suit. :)

4. E.E.L. Ambiense

Log Update - 8/31

Update time! I don't have a lot to show as I'm still really busy, but here's something.

First off, I'd like to give a warm welcome to ADATA for the support! And on such short notice too. You guys really came through; I, as well as my step-daughter, really appreciate the help. And it wasn't a tall order either. This mobo takes DDR2 RAM, lol. Amazingly enough, they had it. And it even matches the color-scheme! Also sweetened the pot by getting rid of the spinning platter HDD and replacing it with a beautiful SSD. That will make things a lot easier on me finding a place to install her too. :hehe:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks, ADATA!

Alright, I needed to use up the rest of these scraps of modders' hex-mesh so I decided to use it for fan grills, etc. So I punched out some using an existing grill as a jig so I bend it to shape. It works well enough for what I need it for.

[​IMG]

I started cracking open the old PSU to take at look at things... Yeck. :hehe:

[​IMG]

Disclaimer: Be careful if you're going to mod a PSU and poke around inside them. Make sure the caps are completely drained if it's been used recently. Your life may depend on it! Seriously. No joke. ZAP! *body drops*

Now, since I'm modding this old Seasonic® PSU, I decided I wanted to make is slightly modular. But I also didn't want cables running everywhere. So I decided to punch a slot on the chassis frame just past the PSU up top and on the backside so I can run the cable through there (which will be shortened drastically) so I can attach it to a sleeved extension for ease-of-use and cable-management.

Right about here...

[​IMG]

Let's mark that out a bit...

[​IMG]

Quick use of a step-bit and some flat-filing, it's pretty much ready to go.

[​IMG]

Here's sneak at how the panels and mobo tray look now...

[​IMG]

Color-shifting sparkle clear over the top; hard to photograph.

[​IMG]

Close-up...

[​IMG]

And an in-progress impromptu spray-job on the PSU itself... Finally found a use for that Prodigy! Yeah, there's a case in there, untouched. :hehe:

[​IMG]

Alrighty, I'll have more to show soon. I'm working diligently on it. I just don't have much proof just yet. ;)

Thanks for tuning in and I'll see you soon!

[​IMG]

5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Yay! Something good finally happened to you.:lol: Do a victory lap!
    On the sparkly paint: Tape off your fingers when you paint, otherwise you might accidentally look fabulous. That's not a good thing.

6. E.E.L. Ambiense

Thanks, man!

Thanks, bro. I doubt I'll hear from MSI though; they are a new level of horrid. :grr:

LOL, thank bro. I doubt it's considered good considering the energy to do it, but I suppose justice would be a better term.

Nah, it's powder, so I just have to shower every time I touch the stuff because it looks like I was glitter-bombed every time I come in from the shop! :hehe:

7. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Lookin good! and nice to hear CM is working with you AND see ADATA now supporting your creations! :thumb:

The P-coat is excellent!

8. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

well now we ready to see completed project :p

9. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Progressing nicely & nice paint job. :)

10. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Looking good!

The PSU becoming slightly modular, how will you go on about that? I mean, you already spray painted the enclosure, so a little late for cutting in it in order to install modular connectors in it, no?

11. Slash88

Slash88 Just starting out

case looks great.

12. E.E.L. Ambiense

Log Update - 9/26

Quick lil' update for the lil' build.

Yeah, it's not done. :blush:

In all honesty, I was given a reprieve/extension to have more time to work on it (and finish up BIO's log), so I now have time to concentrate entirely on this. Which is good-- I have other projects brewing that I'm itching to work on. Plus I'm getting bored with this one. :hehe:

On to the lil' update.

Continuing with the modification of the frame to allow better cable-management and work with the "modular" PSU, I drilled some more holes...

[​IMG]

And another here...

[​IMG]

And a shot of the two on the backside specifically for the PSU leads. I'll go into more detail about that in a future update.

[​IMG]

Hm, wonder what's going to happen to these?

[​IMG]

And, of course, baby's got new shoes!

[​IMG]

No case mod should be without them. REAL case feet, dammit!

[​IMG]

I ran into a little snag though. I was going to use the stock hardware that came with them, but they're too big. ;) I didn't have enough room to fit in the stock holes on the case, so I merely bored out some smaller holes and dug around in the shop for a bit. I packrat everything, so I came across a bag of stock fascia screws from one of my fave cases (and Bill's too) of all-time; the AMS CF-1009 & 1006. These screws held on the stock acrylic fronts, which with any mods I ever did always required complete removal and tossing of the stock front in the o-file. :hehe:

I just happened to have kept a bag of like 30 of these screws. Perfect length and size to work with the feet and they look nice so win-win!

[​IMG]

Gorgeous feet by MNPCTech. Please do yourself a favor and get some for your case too, will ya?

[​IMG]

Also started some work on sponsor emblazonment.

[​IMG]

I'll be back soon(er) than I have been with more to show/share/threaten with.

Toodles!

[​IMG]

13. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Finish turned out beautiful!

Ohh yeah, the CF case bezel screws! :thumb:

14. skullen

skullen Minimodder

Nice one E.E.L :thumb:

15. E.E.L. Ambiense

Log Update - 10/12

Mini-update time!

I actually had some time to work a little on this project that is STILL rolling on that should've been finished Sept. 11. :( I have been diligently working on....things....but whether those things have anything to do with this project log remains to be seen.

Anyways, enough about my tardiness.

Not much was done, but I did get some shtuff done. I needed to clean up the CPU on the board and install the slightly-customized block onto it. Let's do that.

[​IMG]

Yeck. Yeah, let's take the frame off there so I can get at that proccie. That's just bloody disgusting. Is that...Arctic Silver? What is this, 2002?

[​IMG]

Alrighty, there we go.

[​IMG]

And after some Arctic Cleaning and wiping and installing later...

[​IMG]

Yeah, that's what I was looking for!

[​IMG]

This has been the low-caloric edition of this project log. Next entry will be a monster, so get ready to unbuckle that belt!
    (disclaimer: that is not to be misunderstood as a sexual advancement)

[​IMG]

16. KrunchR

KrunchR What's a Dremel?

Awesome as usual Jeremy!

17. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Admit it. You made this update so you could make a reference to the yardstick again, didn't you?

-Didn't know EK did blocks in custom colors...

18. ziza

ziza What's a Dremel?

Your acrylic work looks amazing, really like the idea behind the project. Nice paint work there and nice EK block.

A new excellent project is coming :D

19. E.E.L. Ambiense

Log Update - 10/19

Update time! And no, it's not much of a monster, I know. Some other things came up recently that took precedence over this stuff. Such is life, right? I need to friggin' wrap this thing up! I've taken way too much time dinking around with it. Stating the obvious!

On to the update.

First off, I finished up on some soldering and sleeving some switches so I can put those aside and forget about them until the time comes to install them. You know, some time next year at this rate. :hehe:

[​IMG]

I'm going to finish up on assembling the top panel acrylic; fillport is first. Easy work, as it was designed to be! Peel up some protective paper to see the purty colors. Pardon the nails, BTW... It's for Halloween. ;)

[​IMG]

Looks nice. Blue is one of her favorite colors, along with purple and some shades of red. You're already seeing some of these colors pop up, so that explains it.

[​IMG]

And the next layer to give it some lift, like a pushup bra! :hehe:

[​IMG]

And fillport installed in its final place.

[​IMG]

Moving on to the fan portion of the show, I'm going to add a guard on the bottom of the fan just in case. Not that these fans will really be able to do much damage, but still.

[​IMG]

Now for where the fan will reside...

[​IMG]

After dropping the modder's mesh in between the fan and acrylic...

[​IMG]

A few buttonheads and nuts installed...

[​IMG]

And the finishing touch. I'm probably going to cement the piece on for ease and strength.

[​IMG]

I think she'll like this! If I ever finish it before she's graduated highschool or perhaps married off, that is. :hehe:

Alright, that's all I have for tonight. Thanks for tuning in and see ya soon!

[​IMG]

20. Razarach

Razarach Minimodder

This is beautiful. Nice work.