1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: "Little Tyke" Start: March 13, 2003

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Crunchy_Frog, 13 Mar 2003.

1. Crunchy_Frog

Crunchy_Frog New Member

Hello,

I'd like to start by saying hello to everyone and thanks for sharing all the great ideas and mods that I have seen in this forum. I have been a long-time reader of these forums, but never actually took the step into full-case modding..... until now.

I am a father of an 18 month-old boy. As any father, it is my duty to see that he has the proper tools for starting life. So, I felt that it was time for him to have his first computer (well, probably not, but it gives me an excuse to buy some new parts without angering the wife).

My Idea:

Convert an old Macintosh SE II into a stand-alone PC. I am not sure if this has been done before, but I thought it would be an intersting start.

Initial setbacks/concerns:

1. Size: This is a fairly small case to work with (although I have seen smaller).

2. It's not a PC!: I will have to create custom mounting brackets for any hardware.

3. Screen: How am I going to get a monitor inside that tiny little case?

I did a LOT of research on this one. This really was the crux of the whole project. I had the idea to use an LCD. However, it was too expensive to find a 10" LCD to rip apart to use in this system.

Then I had the idea of using an old laptop screen. However, there are no easy solutions for hooking one up to a PC. A custom adaptor will run you in the $300 USD range...

Finally I found a keycorp 10" LCD on ebay. It has it's own PCI card (although limited, still functional). And, it runs of the power of that PCI card. Bingo!

4. Durability: This PC has to survive the rigors of child. I have to make sure this is not flimsy in any way.

Start:

I have my initial pictures here . The case will eventually be dyed to the liking of a child. It will also have sides that are blackboards/chalkboard (for a child to write on).

Of course, all comments, rants, ideas, flames, etc... are more than welcome and appreciated (except the flames).

CF

2. banished

banished Necromodder

Looks like a fun project. I was considering doing the same myself, but ended up throwing the old mac away when I moved. If it's goint to be for a child, you probably should mount 1/4" plexi in front of the lcd screen for protection.

3. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

man that's going to be cool... all I have seen people do with those is making aquariums out of them.. :hehe:

Good to see more Southerners in here (proper people :D ) I live about two hours from you in SC. Welcome to the boards! :rock:

Keep us updated with your progress

4. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit No longer the other Brett.

Welcome to the forums. :lol:

Got to say nice project , looking forward to updates.

5. Crunchy_Frog

Crunchy_Frog New Member

Banished: that's a good idea. I was actually tinkering with the idea of using poured polyester resin, but I think acrylic/plexi will be much easier to work with.

eddie_dane: Thanks for the welcome, but I'm not a true 'proper person.' :) I'm just a transplant from up north. The 'MACquariums' are actually what gave me the idea for this project.

I originally wanted to use this as a full-blown gaming rig. I wanted to water-cool and use the built-in LCD as a third display and/or system monitor (assuming I have a GF 4 in it with dual monitors for my first 2 displays)... Fortunately, reality grabbed hold and shook my brain, letting me know that there was no way all that stuff would fit in there.... I guess that's what planning is for.

CF

6. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit No longer the other Brett.

I dont know, once the CRT is removed and replaced with the LCD, im guessing the mobo will be on the bottom - that should leave a fair bit of room in there.

Definitely got lots of potential

7. the_secret

the_secret New Member

-> good luck with your project. :)
    -> what the model of the lcd your using?

8. jingersoll

jingersoll New Member

Crunchy_Frog: Great idea. I have a Mac of similar vintage sitting around at home. Have you measured the dimensions of the inside of that case? I wonder if i could fit a mini-itx board in there. It looks like you could fit one on the bottom and have the ports in the same location as the Mac did.

eddie_dane: Another South Carolinian here - I live in Aiken and attend Clemson.

9. eddie_dane

I live 3 minutes from you dood... Pendleton (aka Mayberry) :D WSBF rules :rock:

10. daydreamingknight

daydreamingknight New Member

Nice idea and welcome to the forums!!!

DDK

11. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

im about to start work on a box for my 3 year old nephew ... we won the custody battle with his speedfreak whore of a mother ... now me, my fiance, and my mother are doing all we can to accelerate his learning ....

im starting with an old gigabyte socket 7 board, a k62 500 ... and a 10 gb quantum fireball ... havent picked out my case yet, may build one from scratch eventually, time depending.

i definately want one of the old disney winnie the pooh keyboards for it though ... jonathan is on quite the pooh kick lately ...ive also found links for kiddie sized mice, although i might just get him a targus laptop mouse like i use at school ... i think it would fit him quite nicely ... my brother (his daddy) left 2 14" crt's laying over here ... and also a vga to tv scan converter box thingy ... want to hook it up to a 20" tv/vcr combo eventually .. with dvd in the puter ...

ok enuff rambling ... good luck etc. ...

12. Snood

Snood New Member

gr8 idea!! :D i cant wait to find out how it turns out

13. Lithium

Lithium super spunk

Welcome to the forums matie.

Nice thinking mate...me is trying to figure out a way how my 2 yr old daughter needs a new graphic card :idea:

14. eddie_dane

tripped over this and thought it might give you some ideas... :thumb:

15. Crunchy_Frog

Crunchy_Frog New Member

Psuedo Update

All,

No pictures at the moment (wife stole the camcorder with my pics), but I thought I would discuss a small design change.

Unfortunately, the Keycorp LCD is not going to cut it (look for it on eBay when I sell it :D). For one, it's just a little too big and, because of it's design, I could not mod it without damaging it. More importantly, the included video card does not do very well when playing DVDs (only 4MB RAM). Because of my son's addiction to Wiggles and Barney DVDs, this is a funtional requirement.

So, I am now hunting for a new LCD and I think I have found a few that will fit the bill on eBay.... I am now going through the joy of bid-induced stress right now. So, until/if I win, I am sans built-in monitor.

However, I have purchased some of the Krylon Fusion paint for use on this case (It is, after all, a kid's case and the Fusion paints are far brighter than any vinyl dye I've stumbled across). I will have pics up showing the glamorous results (hopefully by Saturday - when the wife returns).

Eddie_Dane: Thanks for the link. I guess I wasn't the first to think of this idea :D

CF

16. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

DOH! Why oh why did I trash that old dead Mac Plus!?!? :wallbash: :wallbash: Oh, and welcome! Us Yanks won't hold it against you that you're from the south. ;)

17. Crunchy_Frog

Crunchy_Frog New Member

I spent the first 18 years of my life in north NJ, so I wouldn't really consider myself a southerner (although I do prefer the weather here). Also, most Atlanta natives cringe when I tell them I'm a Yankees fan :D

CF

18. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Whoo hoo!! Go Yankees! Good thing you're not a Mets fan down there though... Imagine the looks you'd get then!

I really like your idea though. How would one of those tiny ITX motherboards would fit? This may be a thought for my next mod. It could make a pretty cool luggable pc...

19. eddie_dane

I was born in Newnan (45 minutes outside Atlanta) and moved away when I was six. Moved back to Atlanta to go to college. Have you actually met a navtive Atlantan? I met one, it's wierd, no one that lives in Atlanta was raised there... you are not alone... :hehe:

20. Crunchy_Frog

Crunchy_Frog New Member

I've also only met one.... He sits in the cube next to me here at work. Most "Atlantans" are imports :D