1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling Project Log - Galileo [including photos]

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CraigWatson, 22 May 2011.

1. CraigWatson

CraigWatson Level Chuck Norris

Hi all,
    Bit of an e-peen thread, but thought I'd show off my rig. Not really a "mod" as such so probably not worthy of a proper project log thread, but if I've put it in the wrong place, I apologise :D

Some of you may already have seen this over on WCUK but thought I'd post a bit of a picture-diary of the various changes and re-hashes over the last 3 years. I originally bought the parts for the rig in July 2008, and it's stayed largely the same since then, apart from several watercooling changes.

Hardware
    • Case - Coolermaster Cosmos S (Powercoated satin black internals)
    • CPU - Intel Q6600 @ 3.7GHz
    • RAM - 8GB (4x2GB) Corsair Dominator PC2-8500 (1066MHz)
    • Motherboard - ASUS P5Q-Pro
    • SSD - Crucial C300 128MB
    • SSD Controller - Highpoint Rocket 620
    • HDDs - 2 x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1 in RAID0
    • GPU - Sapphire ATI HD4870 512MB
    • PSU - BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro 650W
    • O/S - Windows 7 Professional 64bit + Fedora 14 Linux 64bit (Dual-boot)
    • Displays - 2 x Samsung Syncmasters (1 x 23" @ 1920x1080, 1 x 20" @ 1600x900)
    • Peripherals - Logitech Wave Keyboard + MX1100 Mouse

Watercooling
    • Pump - Laing DDC-1T Pro 12W
    • CPU Block - XSPC Delta v3
    • GPU, NB + MOSFET Blocks - EK
    • Reservoir - EK Multi-option
    • Radiator - XSPC R120-T
    • Fans - Xilence Red-wing 120mm x 6 (push-pull)
    • Tubing - Tygon R3603 1/2" ID (3/4" OD)
    • Coolant - Thermochill EC6 UV Neon Green
    • Fittings - Generic Feser Compressions

Original Build - July 2008
    [​IMG]

Watercooling Take 1 - October 2008
    This was my first attempt at watercooling - I joined the WCUK forums and asked for advice as well as read up on it all in CPC's first ever watercooling feature, and I was fairly happy with the result - I could overclock my Q6600 to 3.6GHz, a 50% overclock from 2.4GHz stock so definitely a result.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Watercooling Take 2 - May 2009

Take 1 worked and gave me the overclock I wanted, but I wasn't particularly happy with the visual result, I had chosen UV blue coolant, UV blue anti-kink coils and - yes - blue LED fans, so it ended up looking like one blue lump without any definition.

So, I embarked on a completely new colour scheme, using the good old "terminal" colours of green and black. Out went the blue Feser One and blue coils, replaced with green PrimoChill PC ICE and black coils I also had the internals powdercoated in a satin black finish, something which really does add to the effect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Watercooling Take 3 - January 2010

Now, after all that effort, I thought I'd finally cracked it - but oh no. The PrimoChill PC ICE coolant I had used was pretty dire - it was weak as anything and at first gave me some weird green/blue/turquoise shade that wasn't really what I was after but was relatively OK.

I ran the rig like this for about a month, until I noticed that the UV effect had worn off completely - my RAM labels were glowing more than the coolant. The ICE was actually sent as a clear bottle with one syringe of dye in the colour of your choice, so I sent some photos over to Rob at WCUK and he agreed to send me a couple more Dye Bomb syringes.

After that, I got the colour I wanted, and a nice UV effect. Perfect? No. A few months later, after moving to university for my last year, I discovered this on my tubing:

[​IMG]

Yep, the dye pigment had separated from the liquid coolant and caked itself all over the insides of my tubing. I was not happy, and took the opportunity to give the rig one more overhaul, but with a twist - I wanted to try and get a clean effect with no anti-kink coils.

After some cursing and some very tight tube-work, I ended up with this:

[​IMG]
    ^^ 6 months' worth of dust!

[​IMG]
    ^^ Clean radiator!

[​IMG]
    ^^ That should have been UV green coolant -.-

[​IMG]
    ^^ And that is what it did it my CPU block -.-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also invested in a new reservoir, as I liked the idea of a flow-indicator and thanks to the ICE, my previous reservoir had dried dye gunked inside it. I ended up choosing the EK-SPIN:

[​IMG]

Watercooling Take 4 - May 2011

After 15 months of happy PC usage with the new coolant and layout, I thought it would be a good idea to freshen the rig up, change the tubing and coolant. I had changed jobs a few weeks before, and my boss had very generously given me ~5m of Tygon R3603 1/2" ID tubing, as well as an EK multi-option reservoir and Matrix Orbital GX LCD display that he salvaged from a friend's PC he was lumbered with and had to disassemble.

Again I went for a coil-less look, with the only change being rotating the radiator 180 degrees to face the rear of the case to allow for a much tighter loop (and boy did I curse this decision when it came to designing the loop - the air was bluer than the Mediterranean when I'd finished!).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And so it ends. Feel free to ask any questions or post any (constructive!) comments :)

Cheers,
    Craig

2. Wira

Wira Spoderman

wait a sec

wrong board?

3. CraigWatson

CraigWatson Level Chuck Norris

As I said at the top of the post, I'm not entirely sure where the post fits best, it's not really a "mod", it's not really a "photography" thread, it's not really a single "project log" so I took a stab at the best category. If mods want to move it into wherever it should be, they can do and I apologise for posting in the wrong forum :)

4. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Nice log dude, and is fine in this section of the forums.

I think your a bit like me, Never happy with anything after 2/3 months of owning it, haha.

Sam