1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project : Lupine **CPU Mad Reader Mod Dec. 05**

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Tech-Daddy, 3 Jun 2005.

1. hobbs

hobbs What's a Dremel?

awsome...just awsome.

2. :thumb:

3. DR_K13

DR_K13 What's a Dremel?

Jawsome

4. Tech-Daddy

Tech-Daddy What's a Dremel?

HEhehe... you guys are a funny group of posts!
    ;)
    Thanks for the comments!

5. Tech-Daddy

Ok, I'm officially exhausted... my allergies are kicking up, headache hitting... and I still need to shower!
    ;)

..but this was STILL a fun and productive evening.
    I dont have the energy to post up all of the pics (I'll resize, compress and upload tomorrow) so I'll post up some good samples pics of what I did tonight! Effectively, the blank space under the DVD drive was just wide open, and I wanted something there...
    so, I built "something"...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More tomorrow....

Last edited: 30 Aug 2008
  6. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Nice little addition... ;) I like it!

7. Tech-Daddy

Ok, one of the final things getting done on Lupine, the front bay howler...

1st I got an image to the proper dimensiondm width wise, and then printed it out, taping it to the back of the acrylic that I wanted to cut.
    [​IMG]

Removed the paper, so that I only had the outline...
    [​IMG]

Then I started methodically cutting away material to whittle the acrylic down to the shape I wanted. 1st pass was done using a cut off wheel:
    [​IMG]

Next, I gave the flexi shaft a try using a multi-bit:
    [​IMG]

Here we see it taking shape...
    [​IMG]

Then I took the barrel drum sanding attachment and put it on the flexishaft, and ran it to my vice like so:
    [​IMG]

And, man o man... I wish I had figured that out a lod sooner in my life!!! That one step made the work SO much easier to manage!!! The shot below was taken after I had sanded both sides of the acrylic with an orbital sander using 160 grit paper.

[​IMG]

8. Tech-Daddy

Playing with paper...
    I got to thinking... "All I need is something that will block the light from the acrylic... I dont "need" to cut the wolf out of metal for the front layer..." Then it hit me, "Use the posterboard dummy!!!" *headsmack*

So, using a smaller wolf as a template, I cut the profile out of posterboard:
    [​IMG]

Attached it to some scrap paper using low tack painters tape, and then used vinyl dye to make it black:
    [​IMG]

Then attached it to the front of the acrylic:
    [​IMG]

HOOOWWWWWWLL!!
    [​IMG]

Back lighting testing, 1st with a white LED:
    [​IMG]

Then I was like... "How can I Make the LED purple? Not UV, but purple?" *ding* I had bought some purple cellophane as an experiment earlier in the mod... wrap the LED in 1 or 2 layers of the cellophane... see if htat gives the color I wanted...
    Yep... sho'nuff did!
    [​IMG]

Cellophane wrapped LED:
    [​IMG]

Front panel from about 5 feet:
    [​IMG]

9. Tech-Daddy

Various internal shots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is one of my favorite shots...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

First and formost, I want to thank my wife for putting up with my modding on this rig for the last few months. Even though it was hers, she still had to corral the kiddos and keep them out of the garage while I worked. This mod could not have been done witout her tireless assistance and understanding, thank you honey!

Next come persons that helped in some form or fashion.

Nick Deligaris - Artist extraordinaire
    http://www.deligaris.com/art/color30.jpg
    He was the inspirational picture that I used for the wolf spirit. His work is exceptional, and I can speak from a personal note, he is a gentleman and a scholar! Nick, thank you for the use of your image in my rig, I hope that I have put it to good use and kept your artistic impresson in tact! It is a beautiful work! As a matter of fact, I'd highly recommend that if you are into fantasy artwork, or even just a fan of beautiful pictures... go check out his site at http://www.deligaris.com Thanks again Nick.

Sheldog and Zapwizard - Acrylic wizadry, *poof* "it's beautiful!" ;)

http://www.lizard-tree.com for having such an awesome product and a wilingness to help a Texan from all the way up in Canada! I appreciate your assistance and support, and I hope that maybe through some action of mine, that I can drive some business your way! You can count on the fact that I will be in touch again later! These things were so damn easy to use! And the effect was so nice.... Thanks again!

To all of the forum members from the various spots where I posted this log... you are all too many to list! Helping, suggesting, diagraming, or sometimes just dropping a supportive comment. It was very appreciated. I love doing these mods, and they succeed due to the interactions that I have with everyone in the forums. From the bottom of my heart, thank you.

There will be some on going tweaking over the next month, during the CoolerMaster competition, to try and make this rig competitive to get me into the 3rd round, so expect a few visual tweaks to make this thing *pop*. Nothing drastic though... wolves are solitary creatures. They don't like the lime light... so that will influence the overall vision of this case.

Hehehee... it won't be a bling! ;)

10. MiLwOrkZ

MiLwOrkZ What's a Dremel?

Cant wait to see if you win i love the etch! I am not a big fan of painting but you made it look even and it sounds like you have a history of perecting it! BEAUTIFUL!

11. MonkeySpank

MonkeySpank Banned

Looks really really nice. The etch is just...... :jawdrop:

12. Tech-Daddy

Hehehe, thanks guys!
    Well, the CM Round2 contest is coming up, the PC Club contest is completed.

blingGreen won 4th, and Lupine came in 7th. Not sure why it was so low, I thought it was a bit better than 7th... but then I guess I should have done a better job writing up my mods on the machine. I'm pretty sure that directly affected my placement.

Oh well, live and learn.

Lupine is getting a few more tweaks this weekend, just wrapped up a LED lighting set that will add more to the front wolf, and add in 2 more lights to accent the motherboard so that it will not be so dark.

I'm also looking for a little trick to accent the metal window wolf siholette. So, as few tweaks, and a minor update *hopefully* by Sunday, and we should be good to go!
    ;)

13. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

This rawks :rock: Look forward to seeing the 'tweaks' :naughty:

14. Tech-Daddy

Well, this is likely the last entry that I'll be making on Lupine. I made it through to the final round in the CoolerMaster Case Mod competition, using Lupine for the Rounds one and two. Now that I'm into the 3rd round, I'll be building a completely new case, with different components. That log will be posted, but not until after submission into the competition (don't want to leak my designs before the private judging starts...)

So, just a note to say, "Thanks!" and "I'll be back around in a few weeks with a full project log on the build of the next rig!"

Take care!

PS: Lupine is entered into some other contests as well, and should those pan out and I win somethng, I'll post up here!
    ;)

:naughty:

15. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Good luck with your contests. :)

16. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

quite possibly THE cleanest aircooled rig ever :D it just looks all so sexy, everything flow's

and that wolf in the front looks amazing :D

17. Tech-Daddy

18. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Gratz man! You deserved it. ;)