1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Maplin Box

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dtmpower, 28 Jan 2003.

1. dtmpower

dtmpower What's a Dremel?

I am joining the band wagon, and making a project box form the good old maplin pc26. Can anyone sugget the best mobo, is the Asus A7N266 the best way to go, or are the epia better, or any other board like the bn860t , but they only take p3's. Also what cpu would be ok in the Asus for use as a file server and cable modem connection...

Thanks

John
    :lol:

2. GT3_GOD

GT3_GOD What's a Dremel?

A7N266 and a XP1700 for £40 if you can afford that :) if not a £25 duron will do :lol:

3. gurdas

gurdas What's a Dremel?

you will want a small mobo, i used a gigabyte 7vkml for £55 from www.watford.co.uk

agp, ata133, support up to 2600+ xp and probably higher with a bios flash.

4. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

I am using an Epia C3 800Mhz in my box so that I can fit a CD-ROM in. A flex ATX or Micro ATX board will also fit if you want the ability to change the CPU. Gigabyte boards rule and they have quite a few SFF boards.

The only problem I have had with the box is mounting the fans. I've had to get smaller standoffs for everything and remove the standard CPU fan to allow an 80mm exhaust directly above it.

5. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

if you were to take a standard psu apart eg out oF casing but make sure a fan is above it wouls it fit in these cases

6. dtmpower

I am finally round to getting the parts..so before I go for it , is there a better mobo than the A7N266 or the epia board ? I want it to run super quieter , and I also need a power supply to fit in the Maplin box..please can I have a reply , as the finger is hovering over the order button.

John :lol:

7. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

Way better performance with the Asus board ....

But this post should be in the hardware section, not in project logs ... I am sure someone will come along and move it shortly.

8. dtmpower

So is the Asus board the one to get , or are there any new micro-atx or similar size flex-atx boards.......for the newest cpus.

John

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

This isnt a project log, this is a modding and hardware discussion.

10. dtmpower

Can a mod move this to the small form factor or the modding forum , so my question can be answered.

11. Sid

Sid Banned

Much better boards than those two.
    Intel D865GLC for one...
    Supports latest 800MHz FSB P4s. Dual channel memory.