1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Metal Slug - [Hardware @ Dec. 1st]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Captain Slug, 5 Jan 2007.

1. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

Well, it's more that any of the recessed handles that come in a non-metallic finish are the wrong dimensions. Space up-top is at a severe premium. That AND I simply don't like the way they look.
    The original intent was to make this case look very similar to (only different color-wise) the ammo pickups in Metal Slug. This computer looks more like an unlabeled prototype weapon.

2. Soulmage

Soulmage Minimodder

Are you going to end up putting a window in the side of the case since you put the lighting in?

3. RonaldoR9

RonaldoR9 What's a Dremel?

hey would u mind telling me where u got that t line peice or w/e it is called that can be ussed to fill your loop or drain it

thanks

4. Captain Slug

Nope. This machine won't have a window. The light inside let me know that the machine is on, without having a blinding light on the front of the case.
    I used
    mcmaster part#
    4596K321 - PVC Threaded Tee Pipe Fitting 1/4" NPT (drilled out the inner diameter a bit)
    48335K171 - Nylon Threaded Hex Nipple Pipe Fitting 1/4" NPT Pipe Size
    4912K87 - Miniature Chrome-Plated Brass Ball Valve Tee Handle, 1/4" NPT Male X 1/4" NPT Female

The miniature ball valve is the best part. If you want to add one to a length of tubing simply buy a thread x barbed tube tee instead of having to use a threaded tee.
    [​IMG]

I then made a fill cup funnel using a length of polyester tube and a polycarbonate sheet base. I can screw the cup onto the valve with an o-ring between the two for a quick seal. Once the loop is bled I simply close the valve and empty the excess coolant from the cup before removing it.

5. malccy72

malccy72 Minimodder

Apart from loving all of it I particularly like the motherboard cover with the slim gaps for the memory to pop through.

Are you planning on any cooling for the memory as would like to know your take on it?

6. Captain Slug

The memory and motherboard are getting direct airflow from the louvered fan in the rear of the case.
    RAM really doesn't need much in the way of cooling.

7. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

Some corsair dominator would be nice, because you could incorporate the 3x40mm cooling fan they have for it into the motherboard cover.

8. SnOof ^^

SnOof ^^ What's a Dremel?

the dominators are great, wish i would have a few of those ^^

9. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

10. Captain Slug

No thanks. I don't need it or want it. And I hate tiny fans.

11. Burnout21

Burnout21 Is the daddy!

memory has been in computers without cooling for many years, only the crazy people who push high volts and speeds on there memory need additional cooling.

I would be seriously surprised if are friend the captain actually overclocked this rig.

Nice mod chap!

12. Captain Slug

Tiny update. I've been too sore to move around much. Last night I got the top piece of the case painted because I didn't want any naked steel visible. The only remaining patch will be above the optical drive.
    [​IMG]
    And I had to retool the hard drive bracket because it wasn't fitting the drivecage.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 24 Feb 2007
  13. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

What can I say..
    The speed-at-which you have built this kick-ass-machine.... :thumb:
    what can I say.. !!

14. Captain Slug

Haha, oops. I almost sliced off the end of my thumb with an X-acto knife (there was blood EVERYWHERE in the bathroom). Had I not run into my nail I would be in the emergency room getting stitches or even a skin graft. So thanks to my miraculously fast wound-closing abilities I probably won't even have a scar.
    [​IMG]
    This happened as I was finishing up the wiring, so the machine is 99.99% finished. Kind of hard to get the last few parts plugged in using only one hand. I'll probably have some more pics later tonight or tomorrow evening.

15. Captain Slug

16. Tale Gunner

Tale Gunner What's a Dremel?

Great Mod there Captain Slug. What type of water tubing is that. Its very impressive. :clap: Sorry about your thumb. Hope you're feeling better. Must be difficult to type too!

Last edited: 1 Mar 2007
  17. Sebbo

Sebbo What's a Dremel?

sorry, but i'm a bit curious as to how running into a nail kept you out of the ER...
    as for the case, looks great, tho it does seem a pity to hide the awesome job you've done inside the case

18. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

The nail stopped the knife from going any further.
    Great work captain. I love the look of this mod a big :thumb: from me :thumb:

19. Sebbo

Sebbo What's a Dremel?

ooh, right...i thought Captain himself ran into a nail, not the knife ^_^

20. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

Nice work! :thumb: