1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Metaversa: LCD goodness (small update 17/07/05)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Nexxo, 11 Apr 2003.

1. Arkangyl

Arkangyl What's a Dremel?

Thanks Nexxo

keep up the great work

2. The_Sub

The_Sub What's a Dremel?

Well.. I have been lurking in the shadows following this thread for a while now. I decided that I must come out and say that you have been doing an excellent job on this case. Keeping form and function woven together in a very nice pattern. :thumb: Keep up the great work!

3. auspex

auspex What's a Dremel?

bump :lol: nexxoooo

4. Gedron

Gedron What's a Dremel?

::Cough:: ::Cough:: :naughty:

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

OK, OK! I know I've been negligent... what can I say? Christmas family obligations really slow you down. :blah:

I have been working on the thing though, just haven't had time to post pics. I wanted some bits to be complete first. But I'll show you what I got so far tomorrow. If you're interested, that is. :D

6. Darv

Darv Bling!!

Ohh please :baby:

Been following this project since the beginning and its great :clap:
    Gave me the inspiration to go for water cooling.

7. The_Sub

The_Sub What's a Dremel?

count me in as "interested" :D

8. STellY

STellY What's a Dremel?

same.... :D

9. at_b

at_b What's a Dremel?

ditto ......

10. Nexxo

OK, I finally uploaded some pics. Sorry for the delay, but as I said, Christmas family stuff does slow things down. Moreover, in the Health Service, we tend to work over the Christmas period; no holiday for me... :(

But given the interest, I'll show you what I got so far. :dremel:

First, I braided the PSU. Red cables go to the Mobo (which is red, geddit?) and the rest is white. I was originally thinking chrome/silver braiding, but I feel it just doesn't look right... a bit tacky, like Christmas tree decoration.

[​IMG]

I also started drilling more holes in the front of my case...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and changed the power button screws for countersunk ones, to increase the flat area surrounding the button. Why all this? Here's why: a Shuttle PN21 USB module:

[​IMG]

Which is mounted hidden behind the (plastic) front bezel of the PC (and it has to be plastic, otherwise the signal doesn't get through!).

[​IMG]

You'll notice some holes below the module as well: this is where the Antec Truecontrol PCB goes, which is shown dismantled below:

[​IMG]

I would show you it mounted, but as I said, I haven't quite had the time. :(

As you can see below, I added more shiny chrome seperators to the main inlet tube. This will lead the 4-pin 12V Mobo cable, and the molex cable supplying the Radeon 9800 and the Firewire PCI card. It also gives it some structural rigidity to the inlet tube to prevent it from folding under the underpressure.

[​IMG]

Finally, I bought some of these:

[​IMG]

They are flexible plastic D-bus protective caps. You can get them for 9-pin (serial or VGA) 15-pin (Midi) or 25-pin (Parallel) ports, both male and female. A pack of five costs £2,-- tops. As I do not intend to use more than one serial port, and not use the VGA port (going with DVI instead) they will serve to protect the ports which are not in use:

Serial:

[​IMG]

VGA:

[​IMG]

... also handy to protect your laptop ports when in transit :D :

[​IMG]

So, that's what I've been doing over Christmas. That's not all, though. I found a chrome billet 3-hole seperator for the three rounded IDE cables (yeah, yeah, I'll post a picture soon). I am also slicing an extra line into the PSU for an always-on 5V supply (again braided). I'm doing the pump control electronics. And I got a bottle of Zerex Racing coolant additive, but I thought that didn't make as exciting a photo. :p

Sorry for the wait, people...

Last edited: 27 Jan 2004
  11. Darv

Darv Bling!!

Nice work :clap:

Did you vinyl dye the PSU connectors or did they come like that. And those port covers are a damn good idea.

12. Fyberwire

Fyberwire What's a Dremel?

Awesome work!

I would've never thought of using hose seperators as wire managers. Also, cool find with those rubber stoppers for the ports. I'm sure those will come in handy. And great work overall. I assume you'll be able to have bluetooth and PSU voltages front mounted on your case, so It'll be interesting to see how you do that. Great work m8, looking forward to more great things with this case!

13. bsodmike

bsodmike Banned

Damn Nexxo, I hope you don't go keeping ALL your PCBs on the carpet!

Looking nice, them covers :D

14. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Does that just plug into a normal USB header on the mobo?

15. Nexxo

@ Darv: all connectors of the Antec Truecontrol series come in black as standard! :clap:

@ Atomic: yup, it's a Bluetooth module that plugs in an ordinary mobo USB header (USB 2.0 or 1.0, although the latter suffices bandwidth-wise). Actually the module comes with a double USB header cable, which plugs into that teensy-weensy PCB you see in the picture, in which you plug the module. Which means that you can plug something else in besides --if you can find out what type the odd small white connector is. In my case the card reader will be plugged in there also.

@bsodmike: only those PCBs that don't have sensitive electronics on them! :D

16. Dragosoft

Dragosoft What's a Dremel?

Ah, Your project loking good...
    nice protective caps.. i have allmost same looking.. mine is chromed :D

17. Altron

Altron Minimodder

The third red plug (not the 12v aux or the atx) is that the AT power connector/ If so, why are you keeping it around?

18. The_Sub

The_Sub What's a Dremel?

I would assume that is a regular molex for the radeon card.. mo power!! for the gfx... at least that is what it looks like

19. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Could very well be, there is only a side view and it is hard to distinguiish the number of conductors.

20. Nexxo

The 6-pin connector is the AUX connector. Don't need it here, but I like to keep my options open (upgrade wise). Meanwhile another snag has hit:

Bugger, bugger, bugger!!! :miffed: :duh: