1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Metaversa: LCD goodness (small update 17/07/05)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Nexxo, 11 Apr 2003.

1. Tech-Daddy

Tech-Daddy What's a Dremel?

:eeek: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :eeek: :eeek:
    :hip: :hip: :hip:
    :thumb: :thumb:
    :dremel:

(I hope all that makes sense to you! ;) )

2. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

w00t :D A long awaited update and well worth it by the looks of things. Over the moon the project hasn't been abandoned :D Look forward to the next one :naughty: :p :)

3. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

looks great - love the cable tidyness - what are you routing them with?

keep it up!

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Self-adhesive cable clips:

[​IMG]

The black ones are sold by Maplins, in bags of 100. The white ones are sold by RS online (note the small ones come in pairs on the backing paper, but can be split), in bags of 50.

Buying such a large ammount seems pointless at first, but you always find you can use more of them than you thought, and not only inside your PC!

I find them better than self-adhesive cable tie anchors because you can unlock and re-lock them as many times as you want on your cable routing adventures. I do, of course, use cable ties but only to keep wires bundled together.

5. Shikamaru

Shikamaru What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: W000t....

Btw, Nexxo, what pump is that? sooo compact :D What are it's specs, 12v of course, but the rest.....

Can't wait to see more pics m8!

6. BadKarma

BadKarma What's a Dremel?

Nice work keeping th cables managed and looking neat

7. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

my tip for heat srink on ur cables, put thin cable ties on the cable then ut the heat srink over that :thumb:

8. Nexxo

The pump is a Davies Craig EBP. Specs can be found :here:. The curve graph on that page appears incorrect though. On ProCooling it has been established by Cathar that the pump is pretty much comparable to the MCP600. It is quite quiet and powerful, and has an MTBF of 50.000 hrs. I went with this one because physically it is exchangeable with the Johnson CM30P7 I had before, else an MCP600 would have done just as well.

NOW he tells me... :p In future I will do that, thanks. Meanwhile I will trim off those frayed bits, don't worry.

OK, another idea. I'm mentioning it now because I want the credit. :D

I was playing with a Motorola V600 today, and I really like the colour cycling ring on its cover. This made me think... What if we have an RGB led for the power light. What if we connect it to a colour fader with a temp sensor. The idea is that the colour of the power LED indicates (roughly) the temperature of the CPU(s). So it would start blue (cool) and as the CPU gets warmer, it cycles through cyan, green, yellow, orange to red (too hot!) at which point, of course, the PC might be shut down. It should be simple to add that to Divine Protection, which governs the pump. Of course, colour changing LEDs could be applied to any variable: GPU temp, case temps, fan speeds, coolant flow... It's just an idea...

9. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Wow, some technical stuff there nexxo, i'm sure you can pull it off :naughty: :D

10. mieleton

mieleton What's a Dremel?

Phew. I finished reading the whole worklog some days ago and checked the last update now. I must say, really really really good work Nexxo! :)

I like how everything seems to be thought of at least twice, and there isn't anything that looks like that it's just randomly stucked up somewhere. I hope that someday I would have the patience to accomplish something like that...

The idea with the color-changing LED sounds really interesting. I once thought of something like that, but for displaying CPU load. I got to the conclusion that it wouldn't look nice because the load changes so rapidly. But for values changing slowly (temperature in this case) it would be nice. I think that wouldn't bee to hard to implement and I'm looking forward to seeing something like that in Project Metaversa in future. :thumb:

11. Starbuck3733T

Starbuck3733T Look out sugar, here it comes

colour shifting LED thing would be very cool. I can think of how to do it in the backend, PWMing LEDs with a PIC... how would it interface to get its value? Software? Hardware?

Most versatile way I can think of is to have a small bit of software write a value from 0 to 255 (255 being too hot) as well as the transition values from the different colors. I need to get crackin on my PIC stuff!

12. Fyberwire

Fyberwire What's a Dremel?

Hey Nexxo, long time no see!

Good to see this project underway again, I was definately hoping all 33 pages didn't go to waste like many other projects I see around forums like these.

Anyway, keep up the good work man, once it's done you'll be able to reap the benefits!

13. Nexxo

Thanks dudes!

I would think hardware. May not even need a PIC; just some way of converting resistance (from a temp probe?) to a shift in colour.

Of course it would be nice to hook something like this to e.g. MBM, but I think that would get rather complicated --unless you can somehow relate the values through a USB port. That would, no doubt, require an MBM program add-on/applet and I for one don't have those sort of programming skills... :(

Still, if you think you can do it, that would be great!

14. EdHunTer

EdHunTer What's a Dremel?

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

Absolutely FCKING AMAZING! i'm really astounded one of the cleanest yet most efficient setups i've seen up to date.

i want mooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooore :D

keep it up :hip:

15. Nexxo

I know that everybody will be over at the Orac3 thread (and so am I! :D ), but I figure, what the heck. I have finally worked out a logo design I am relatively happy with, and I found a laser cutter/etcher for the mirror-polished stainless steel sheet that will be mounted on the mobo-side panel of the case. The design is sort of like this:

[​IMG]

Everything in black willbe cut out and backlit with white EL sheet. Everything in gray will be laser-etched in the mirror-polished panel.

It also will give you a rough impression of what I am planning to do with the window etch. :naughty:

Another hint: anyone can tell me what PF5080 means? And why would that be printed on this case? ;)

16. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Nice clean look. The lazer etching sounds the dogs :D Keep it up :dremel:

17. toyomatt84

toyomatt84 What's a Dremel?

I'm here, and I like it so far. :D

18. Omnipotence

Omnipotence What's a Dremel?

Don't worry Nexxo, your project log is still my favourite of them all.

19. Morpheon

Morpheon What's a Dremel?

PF5080 (50 quid from InertX/Armari). It's non conductive (I've seen pictures of people completely immersing a running PC in the stuff!!!) & algae etc won't grow in it + it can go cooler than water + it's inert so doesn't corrode/react with plastics etc. Superb stuff (albeit expensive). :rock: ARE YOU GOING TO USE IT!!!???!!!! AWESOME TO SEE THE UPDATES WORTH THE WAIT!!!

20. piloux

piloux What's a Dremel?

I like a lot the design you re going to give to the left panel, the wiring is perfect too , this is a top case :thumb: