1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Metaversa: LCD goodness (small update 17/07/05)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Nexxo, 11 Apr 2003.

1. mobius9

mobius9 Minimodder

wow... 3 posts above his.... :duh:

2. emj1s

emj1s What's a Dremel?

Any chance of gettin the samurize file? or some good download sites?

3. specofdust

specofdust Banned

They're on the samurize site....

4. Longtalltechsan

Longtalltechsan What's a Dremel?

What a jackass!!!

It's no wonder people in Europe and around the world don't like us Americans when you have some jackass like this making this comment.

Morpheon, I doubt you are still reading this, but if you are, this is one of the most detail-oriented computer mods this site has seen. Any great project takes planning and time. You can't build something according to what might come out or is supposed to come out whenever. You have to plan it with what you have or know. Even if this computer hardware is not considered to be the fastest around anymore, I have a feeling that it could surpass anything you have and will look a hell of a lot better while doing it. Chill out and read the thread and look at the pretty pictures and don't be a jackass and make the rest of us Americans look like a$$holes.

5. MiLwOrkZ

MiLwOrkZ What's a Dremel?

Touche!

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

No worries, I tend to ignore comments like Morpheon's... What he fails to consider is that I have, in fact, been using this PC for over a year now (read the thread, dude), and I still haven't reached its performance ceiling. Sure, it won't play F.E.A.R. at the highest settings, but then again which current PC does? Only an SLI'd nVidea 7800 rig will keep up. Anything else it runs so smoothly, that my P4 3Ghz PC at work seems annoyingly slow by comparison. Thanks to its dual processors I can happily play Eve Online at highest settings while running several other programs concurrently, like Winamp, IE, graphic programs, Word, all at the same time.

Many features of this rig are original inventions (I made a list in another thread and counted 12) and still have not been emulated in other rigs. Of course, I designed it to be upgradeable right from the start.

It's true that this project has been dormant for a while. But not everyone can spend all their time and money on just one thing. I have a wife, I have a life. They take priority. I have had an article to publish (which apparently is going to kick over some established notions in psychiatry: prepare for scientific flame wars), and a book chapter to put out by February. I have changed jobs and am trying to singlehandedly build up a cancer psychology service across two hospitals. My colleagues and I are trying to do some gorundbreaking in Deaf Mental Health at the same time. Things get busy. I hope to complete this project in Spring, but frankly, there is more to life than PCs (did I just say that?)...

This project is no ORAC, but it wasn't meant to be (G-gnome did tell me he wanted some of my input on the WC of his current Reactor project though. :D ). ORAC was very much an excersise in aesthetic possibilities, whereas Metaversa is an excersise in design functionality. But G-gnome, too, is taking his time because he has many adult responsibilities to be getting on with.

Last edited: 17 Dec 2005
  7. Zds

Zds What's a Dremel?

So true.

And I think most of us are doing this since the work itself is fun and helps to forget the duties of the "real life". So while the finished results are nice, the point of this whole thing is getting there, not being there.

I love your work and owe you a lot of inspiration and ideas. Take your time and keep up the good work!

8. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

"what we do" is not about having the fastest hardWare on the planet (although it is nice)..It's about innovation and perspiration..I am in the "same-boat" as Nexxo, I have been "tweaking" my project for a year+...
    These machines are NEVER really finished, there is always "a-few" more things to do..
    Gettting to the point where you have a working computer is the major-hurtle.
    Compare "what we do" with the world of HotRod cars (in my mind it is the same thing). I have heard of Guys spending 20 years changing/modifying there ROds.
    SO, look at the pictures of MetaVersa and save them to your "mental-cache" then implement some ideas and modify others to build the PC of your DreAms.
    Our hobby is about "innovation and perspiration"..not PC Hardware..
    MS :thumb:

9. Morpheon

Morpheon What's a Dremel?

Hmm.

Well first of all I am not being an A$$hole as the person above said. I have read this thread since it started. Those comments are OLD, and further my comments convey a lot of respect for what Nexxo and other modders do around here. I was just saying I, and many others here, would love to see this project finished. It is a work log after all and not a personal blog about what one has done with there system, at least to me it shouldnt not be but who knows I guess.

Nexxo
    Your right, I had no idea that you actually had been using the system. Thats great! At the time when I had made my comment, I believe your system was still not even fully watercooled yet. I am glad you got to use all that great hardware, but let it not be forgotten you had to upgrade from the two Athlon MPs before you even got to that point.

I too have a system that I have been modding and improving for over 3 years now. No project like this is ever trully done, but it would be nice to see some new pictures and you can take as long as you like to finish your side panels which are supposed to have some kind of new amazing ideas.
    It would just be nice to see them thats all and in years time I feel for you if you cant find a few days to tuck away for yourself to get your ideas into reality, it must be killing you.

Take care and good luck.

OH and one more thing

I am pretty sure, and this is just a wild guess, that I am not the reason Americans are not liked by the rest of the world. I am however fairly possitive it has something to do with our current president as evident by the riots and violent protests that occur whenever he travels abroad. But maybe they are just trying to tell him about me.... :rolleyes:

Last edited: 3 Jan 2006
  10. Nexxo

I didn't have to upgrade, it's just that the K7D mobo gave out during the BIOS flash and a new one wasn't available anymore. At the same time I could get some Opterons half price... :D The course of action was logical.

Sorry if we spoke harshly of you. It's all cool. :)

11. Morpheon

Morpheon What's a Dremel?

Thanks Nexxo :)

(give us new pics hahahha)

Seeya ;)

12. Mark3d

Mark3d What's a Dremel?

Sweet :jawdrop:

13. Claas M

Claas M What's a Dremel?

Yeah very cool.

How are you forcing your display only to show samurize?

14. Sherk

Sherk What's a Dremel?

Nice project, keep up the good work in everything you do. :clap:

15. Nexxo

I extended the desktop to the second display. A second, smaller desktop area then shows in the Samurize Editor. Just design/drag your Samurize config in that area. If you don't like a wallpaper on the second monitor, incorporate a rectangle of 640 x 480 pixels in size in your Samurize config (or an image of your choice). Pin to desktop with the Samurize Instance Manager if you want to make sure it stays fixed in position. :)

I know, I know, when do I start modding again?... well, nearly finished the book chapter, my finances are recovering, I hope to do some work soon.

Just that Coolermaster ATC-S4000 case that is sitting in the corner is quite distracting... I am already designing a watercooled dual dual-core Opteron system with SLI on a Tyan mobo around it --on paper, at least. Lots of interesting ideas involving CNC parts to modify the case internals. Invisibly integrated 3x120 rad, drive array that can be slid out the front in one piece (and, of course, same with the watercooling array)... and some really interesting ideas for system stats indication. :)

16. Dj Ovin

Dj Ovin What's a Dremel?

Wow, very nice! :D

But, thought it was a little bit high temps on the CPU's? I have around 30 with aircooler;p But, awesome project! What more todo?

17. Nexxo

You have around 30C on an aircooler because all it has to do is cool one CPU. My loop has to cool two CPUs and an GPU. The system originally made 35C on a K7D Master with dual Athlon MPs. However Opterons are a bit more toasty. I could put in a 2x120mm rad but that would involve more surgery --which would be rather pointless as Opterons are happy up to 75C. So no worries. :)

My next system will have a 3x120 rad. :D

What more to do? Clean up the wiring in the very front a bit, cut window in left panel, cut something for the right panel, a bit of windows etching... an extra LED here and there. That's it, really.

18. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

one of the best projects iv ever seen. I love all the custom fittings and creations.

19. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

mmmm.... very nice.

20. Arkantos

Arkantos What's a Dremel?

i must say, i have learned a lot for your mod.
    there are very many intricasies that i did not even stop to consider, but after reading your log (thrice, yikes!), i have gained a little wisdom.

kudos are in order!

though i am not telling you hurry up, i do hope this project gets finished by the end of the year.

Ark!