1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress [Project] :::Mil-Spec::: (SNiiPE's Optimal Enclosure) - 4/29 Bottom Chassis

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by SNiiPE_DoGG, 30 Mar 2011.

1. SNiiPE_DoGG

SNiiPE_DoGG Engineering The Extreme

I think I paid about 40 for the long two flute end mill and the six flute was only like 17 IIRC, not too bad considering the prices some end mills can get to. :thumb:

Thanks k.3nny!

Yeah, to be honest I wasn't even reading the forums anymore when the CM contest came out, which is fine. I'll be finished in time for my preferred competitions which is all good. Sorry to hear about your troubles, I wish you all the best!

Thanks, I hope I can deliver, today I am going to get finished with the main structural panel as far as filing goes, then to the bending brake :thumb:

Thanks StonieX, I love solidworks, the sketcher is just so much nicer than other CAD packages.

Thanks AnG3L :D
    Its just a standard 3 axis manual mill (it has 5 axis capabilities but I don't use them, on a manual mill they are a pain) Most of those shots where the mill is blurry its running ;)

2. SNiiPE_DoGG

Today I took what was supposed to be the main body panel to the shop to bend on the brake. Unfortunately I hit two snags today which left me with a need to redesign the case (panels) for manufacturability reasons, it will end up looking exactly the same, just... different :lol:. I wont have a final frame until the end of next week at the earliest unfortunately, but I will still be working on the other parts which haven't changed in the mean time.

3. SNiiPE_DoGG

Small update, Mobo tray done

Just need a little more work and it'll be done. Lots of other stuff done but I can't show you that yet ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still waiting on my countersuck 6-32 screws to attach the I/O

[​IMG]

4. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

Nice. Now you've just got to get the holes lined up right. I had a time with those buggers.

5. joseph_young

joseph_young What's a Dremel?

zOMgzz SniiiiiiPe_DOG, you rule!!! KING OF THE INTERNET!!!!!!

6. joseph_young

joseph_young What's a Dremel?

sniipe_dog, your case mod looks super sweet! get sum!!!!!!!!!!!

7. SNiiPE_DoGG

Bottom/sides structure complete. :) I made a hand made panel last week and as I noted before it was not feasible to be bent the way I wanted. Since I only have about a week left at school and to use the machine shop making another hand made panel was not an option.

Today I engaged option number 2: Waterjet, it took all of 5 minutes and $1.92 cost for this panel to be cut today. I then took it down to the bending brake and went to town, heres how it came out :thumb::thumb:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still working on some other parts, gonna make the top portion of the chassis tomorrow morning at open shop.

8. (FIH) The Don

(FIH) The Don What's a Dremel?

still alive? :p

9. SNiiPE_DoGG

Haha, Yup :) I have had finals the past week and apartment hunting/finishing up class projects the week before so I havent been doing anything with the build. The res is like 95% complete and all the chassis parts are complete and ready to be assembled. Once I get back to mass next week I will assemble the chassis with my tools at home and then take it from there... Expect a heavy group of updates coming then ;)

10. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

I like the separate separate cooling channel for the front radiator. It looks like a very efficient design.

11. mike_dowler

mike_dowler What's a Dremel?

Hi Ian, great work so far.

Could I ask a favour? That's a MountainMods rear I/O plate, right? Could you measure the slot separation across the full width for me? The distance shown here:
    [​IMG]

The separation is supposed to be exactly 0.8" per slot, so 5.6" for seven slots. On mine, though, it's about 0.1" too large (so 5.7"). MM are being useless and won't even consider that there might be a problem.

Thanks, Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. SNiiPE_DoGG

From the bottom edge of the bottom slot to the top edge of the top bar I read 5.74 on the calipers, but the hole to hole on the screw mounting holes for mine is only off by .01" (.810) so I wouldn't worry about it. Thats an absolutely tiny amount.

13. mike_dowler

mike_dowler What's a Dremel?

Thanks for that. It looks like there is a problem with MM's design, so I will need to find an alternative source. I agree that the variation for each individual slot is small; the problem is that the errors are cumulative. When the top slot is aligned to the motherboard, the bottom one is more than 0.1" out of alignment, which is fairly significant.

Anyway, don't want to hijack your thread - mod on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

mike_dowler: How about purchasing a Lian Li motherboard tray? Comes with PCI backplate, which can be removed and used with your own tray. Pretty cheap, too. And nice aluminum finish.

15. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

They're really hard to find though. Every time I tried to get one, nowhere had any in stock :(

16. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

:confused: Hm, they're pretty abundant here in Denmark :eyebrow:

17. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

PCI/IO pieces can be difficult to buy, whenever I didn't need 1 kustompc had stock, whenever I did need 1 no stock :lol: so decided to finally just measure a good quality Lian-Li one from a previous case, make a sketchup & have a solid plan to follow :D, quite easy really but time consuming unless you can get them cnc'd :D but that would bump the budget up.

But if you can get nice fabrication like that sweet bottom/sides piece made for anything like less than $2 then thats definitely the way to go :rock::D.

Wow I've not commented since it was in concept stage lol, very nice solid res, sweet mobo tray/back piece, sweet bottom/sides piece, nice project SNiiPE :thumb:.

18. SNiiPE_DoGG

Holy Necro Thread Batman!

The past 7 months have been pretty damn interesting, so I'll give you the short version.

- Found out that the EK Rad spec sheet was off by 6mm and basically meant my entire case body must now be scrapped because I refuse to do multi rad and refuse to go smaller than 140.3. I might have a fix for this but most likely not.

- Decided the case is too big, will use pieces for scrap and such.

- Went on a Co-Op as a mechanical engineer at Johnson & Johnson and worked in a rapid prototyping lab and designed medical devices (from May31 - present)

- Lived the entire time I was working in an apartment that had no feasible area for working on a scratch mod, too nice of a place to work in the living room.

- Going back to school in 2 weeks after I take a trip to CES 2012 (!!!) next week.

- Will go back to the drawing board on the case, this time something more portable and smaller (still with the 140.3!!)

- Note to use thinner material this time, was far too ambitious in that respect and resulted in an overly heavy body.

Soooo, I'll let you all know when I start working again ;)