1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project Mini Impossible (itx based)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by rchiileea, 11 Jan 2010.

1. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I wanna see this project but all I see is red x's :sigh:.

2. rchiileea

rchiileea Minimodder

eek ill fix that by the morning

3. ShadowHunter

ShadowHunter Lingrush!

dude! i tried to do almost the same thing! that didnt go so well, but i imagine its much harder to mod a current mitx case than custom design your own.

even so, i'll definitely be watching this closely!

4. rchiileea

rchiileea Minimodder

Well erm, yes and no, the advantage of designing your own M ITX is you can decide on the room needed.

The down side, well were do i begin, if i would of kept all my designs from the start i could probably have about 20-30 different design attempts to show you lot.... thank god i deleted them lol... some of them did look perfect, but airflow was not pratical really and temps would of gone sky high even with water..

hey it was fun and painful though the design part.. all part of modding though...

done a powerup today with windows in, I am going to get finsihed shots done tomorrow (including my fake carbon fibre feet) then ill post em up sometime during this week coming..

5. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Sorry in advance if this is a bit too much blah blah :D.

It's like you pulled the design out of your monitor :D :thumb:.

Nice case rchiileea, well designed & had to be if it was being left in the hands of a fabricator and it's opened my eyes with mini ITX, but did you have it built for you because of not having tools or workspace or both, I'd dread to know what it would cost to have a factory finalise a design and them make it for me, just curious was it more expensive than a high end ATX case like a thermaltake level 10, but if much less then it's actually a great thing for people who don't have tools & workspace but want to make their own :).

I started off with very few absolute basic tools and have a small workspace, since becoming a scratch builder I have got more like most dads and always wanting new tools lol at myself :hehe:, got a few more tools now and want more tools but still have the same workspace. So if I'd have known about getting a place to help design and build for an ok price 2 years ago I would have taken that route, but I'm too far in now and learned & gained some skill :dremel:.

I did contact a place a while ago asking them about making a batch of io/pci back pieces as that is THE most difficult bit to fabricate for me when making my own case, they never got back to me though, yorkshire laser I think it was, still yet to work out a good way to do my own (I'm working on it and will post an easy to follow guide how I did it when I perfect it) ;).

If I had not seen this mod I would have stayed on the fence about mini ITX, don't forget to post some gaming benchies :), I'm having a rush of ideas for a mini ITX case now I know good quad cpu's & full size gpu's can be used on them :).

This has got me excited to start designing a mini ITX project, I've done large, time for small :D.

6. rchiileea

rchiileea Minimodder

I did not get a price, but i presume it would of been very expenisve, as i know how much fabrication can be.... so probably out of most peoples reach and i would guess in the region of the level 10. (mmm next mod in planning)

On a plus note for you though Zotac have released a socket LGA1156 mini ITX so even better for you.

7. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Yeah I figured it would be a bit on the expensive side, does look great though :thumb:, and nice to hear of LGA1156 mini ITX.

8. rchiileea

rchiileea Minimodder

Just a little post, to show you what i ended up doing with the feet, I actually like the way they come out.

[​IMG]

Hopefully i will be able to upload the case shots today, but I am also fitting a new bathroom so i might be to busy, but ill defo get them uploaded in the next few days.

9. rchiileea

rchiileea Minimodder

Well me taps did not turn up, so I thought I would post some more :)

Finally the case was put together and lighting effects added, these are just some of the shots i took of the case, I plan to do some night shots as well to hopefully catch the etches and the lighting in full glory.

[​IMG]

As you can probably see from this shot i changed the DVD drive from slot loading, this is due to the slot loading ones front cover jamming in the gap, which caused the drive cover to pop off so i went with the tray one instead.

Anyway enough of the chatter here are some pics...

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I thought I would also include some powered up photos as well, I will add more shots when i get some shots done in the dark.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Overall I am really happy with how it turned out, the case is small neat and watercooled, and all in a small package, I would have to say I lurrrvvvve it!

Hopefully I will have some nice in the dark shots for you guys (and girls) soon..

10. Kareth

Kareth What's a Dremel?

And so, what about the temps in such small case? :confused:

11. rchiileea

rchiileea Minimodder

Temps are not an issue at all quad core is at 26c all cores idle and under load 35 max so room for overclocking :)

When i designed the case I made sure that the top section only had one fan going out, that way it would pull air from the only open part of the case the bottom, to ensure a good air feed.

it helps that the radiator is on the outside, at the bottom too :)

12. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

subbed

13. rchiileea

rchiileea Minimodder

Hi all back again, this time with some dark shots and how the rig looks in the dark, I will add some other shots after this but, day and semi night (a bit better as I should have my tripod back soon. So for now I will just leave you with plenty of photos.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next time I will post a couple of better shots as mentioned once I have the tripod back, and when I get back from break, Ill start tweaking away and post benchmark scores, temps ect...

Any questions will be answered, Until next time then.:)

14. Skorchio

Skorchio What's a Dremel?

Thats looks amazing mate truly a lovely little PC.

Did Custom Encloses do the laser cutting and etching?

15. rchiileea

rchiileea Minimodder

Custom laser cutting was done by protocase, the etching by my misses (lucky me) I can just about etch a outline, but she does all the dot work (which gives the detail)

16. hyperion

hyperion Minimodder

Really nice work. 5 stars from me.

17. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

Thats a cool little bit. Nice work man

18. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Bloody freggin hell awesome work in such confined space. Very very impressed

19. paz45

paz45 What's a Dremel?

That's really nice compact rig, great work.

20. chocolateeminem

chocolateeminem What's a Dremel?

How do u get so many sponsors I can never get ANY, all very nice btw