1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: MNU by Kylevdm - ENERMAX SPONSORSHIP!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Kylevdm, 30 Dec 2009.

1. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I'm liking this...

:thumb:

2. Kylevdm

Kylevdm The Mod Zoo Podcast Host

It was only a matter of time before someone pestered me, eh? I have been REALLY busy at the moment am working 5 days a week and I am the stage manager at school and we are putting on the biggest show of the year! 1050 tickets sold in under 3 days!!!! so that has been taking up ALL of my free time, however the last show is tonight so there will be some updates soon enough!

Cheers Mankz :)

3. Kylevdm

Hey all!

Well I know that I said I would have an update then disappeared from the face of the Earth... And sorry about that but you must all know what life can be like! I have just finished stage managing a show with 150 performers so that took over a fair bit of my spare time and the rest was taken up by work, you know the thing that is funding this mod :) haha.

Anyway I am going to be kicking out a few updates in the next few weeks the first being what I got done tonight!
    As I want to hold a PA120.3 in this case the drive bays went bye bye and therefore so can all the gubbins in the front bezel. Who wants 2 fans anyway! I WANT 3!!!!! So after bit of chopping and sanding I have a now slightly flimsy bezel :-/ but all is good I have lots of scraps of aluminium which will come in very handy in making a nice new inset both to make it look EPIC but also to give the bezel some extra strength. Any here are the pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see it still needs a little bit of cleaning up but nothing that a bit of filing, sanding and paint will not fix. Remember this case is going all white on the exterior so I am not too concerned by some of the scratches etc, they will all be sanded out and painted in a nice Toyota Hilux Pure White. I have the colour codes ready and will be ordering the exact colour that the truck is painted in!

Until next time why not take a look at the guys supporting this project!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 1 Sep 2010
  4. Kylevdm

:O look at this! Another update!!! Hehe. Well let me get on with it eh?
    I have had a little bit of time to crack on with the front bezel of MNU. After finding the wonderful template of the PA120.3 (original) which magically disappeared when thermochill got their new website. But I have re-uploaded it for anyone who needs it.
    http://digitalhotrods.net/other/PA120-3.pdf
    Due to the TINY amount of room I have to work with in getting the PA120.3 to fit I measured once, measured twice, measured three times, and then measured again! Finally once I was sure I had got the centre of each of the fan holes marked correctly I printed off 2 of the MNPCTech templates for the PA120.3 (available here and stuck them down on the aluminium piece which I chopped up to fit in the plastic bezel. I completely forgot to take pictures though! The football is distracting!
    [​IMG]
    SEE the footy is halting my modding! For all you in the UK and with iPhone’s or just want to watch TV online head over to www.catchuptv.com and you can watch most freeview channels for free over the mobile data network ;)
    [​IMG]
    all marked up and centre punched
    [​IMG]
    unfortunately the drill bit was blunt so it gave me some funky looking sharp burrs
    [​IMG]
    but no need to fear, a little bit of filing and sanding later and it looks just fine :)
    Until next time why not take a look at the guys supporting this project!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Kylevdm

I am getting good at this! Another update this week!!!! Hehe
    Well in the GLORIOUS weather that Scotland seems to be having albeit not quite as hot as I would like it to be but it is sunny so I will settle for that :). I took my modding out of the Mawd Shed and into the garden allowing me to soak up the much loved sun.

First off was preparing the front of the chassis for the PA120.3, this means some cutting was needed :) so I measured once, measured twice.
    [​IMG]

And finally got out my new favourite tool the Junior Hacksaw... I used it to cut the two smallest cuts at the bottom of the chassis which if I used the jigsaw on I know I would have messed it up haha.
    [​IMG]

After a few minutes with the jigsaw a few more with a file and finally some sandpaper, the front panel is done!
    [​IMG]

I am happy with it all except this little lip. You can hardly see it in the picture but it extends out by about 2mm. It is not ideal but the radiator is going to have foam on it anyway so it will not affect the mounting at all.
    [​IMG]

Next on the hit list was to start getting the chassis ready for a lick of paint. Unfortunately for me this means I needed to remove the anti-noise “stuff”.
    [​IMG]

This was not as hard as it first seemed! I grabbed a screwdriver and pried it off.
    [​IMG]

It was all going well and I thought I may be able to reuse it, but then DISASTER! Well not really, it ripped... So I carried on and removed the stuff!
    [​IMG]

As with ALL insulation it was stuck on with a horrible icky glue!
    [​IMG]

So out came the mentholated spirits and a Stanley blade.
    [​IMG]

Ten minutes later I have a nice cleanish surface to prep for paint
    [​IMG]

Until next time (which may not be that long away :)) why not take a look at the guys supporting this project!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Kylevdm

And once again it is time for another update!!
    Today as I am still waiting on some supplies and tools, I thought I would work on the new design for the front of the chassis. I say new as I decided it was not all that smart to just attach the radiator to the front panel, so I am going to be adding another plate to the front of the chassis. So I chopped up some more aluminium! But first I found my beloved Sharpie!
    [​IMG]

Then I got to the jigsaw out and was left with a rectangle which is slightly larger than the front of the case. Remember it is easier to remove material then get material to magically reappear!
    [​IMG]

To get to the front of the case off I needed to remove MORE rivets!!!! There are 11 holding just the front panel on! This thing is most definitely not going to fall apart!
    This includes 4 rivets which are in the side of the panel.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As the piece I cut out was slightly too big, I am going to have to file it down. However, I am going to wait for my new files to arrive.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So catch you lot later! And do me a favour and check out these guys!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Everything is coming along nicely Kyle. Glad to see you found a solution for removing the Bitumen insulation too :thumb:

Kylevdm likes this.
  8. Kylevdm

Cheers Bill! Just as well too! I have to remove it from the whole side panel, well most of it anyway. I will explain more in a future update :)

9. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Switch to the ulta-fine point sharpie.:D They do wonders for your level of precision. I use BBQ starter fluid and a rag to remove sticky glue.

...You don't smoke, do you?:worried:

10. Kylevdm

Haha, will look for 'em when I am next in Staples!! As for BBQ starter fluid I would be WAY to tempted to take a flame to it... hehe

and of course I don't! It is not even legal for me to smoke yet! :)

11. GooNeR

GooNeR World domination plans in phase 2!

Definitely taking an interest on this. Keep up the good work :D (subbed!)

12. Kylevdm

Cheers Dude :)

First and formost, I want to apologise for the lack of updates for the last wee while! I have been having a ton of problems with getting my watermarks onto the images… and I have been working stupidly long shifts at work.
    But with that out of the way it is now time to get on with showing you the little I have had the time to work on.

I filed down the new front chassis panel, however to get it to fit properly I needed to cut out some bits chunks and drill some holes :)
    Using an 8mm drill bit I drilled out the holes to make space for the clips on the plastic bezel to fit in!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

13. Kylevdm

Well, I should probably show may face here again eh? I apologise for the lack of updates! But as you all know life sometimes takes over, and over the last few months it really has!

I have been doing work when I can, unfortunately I have not documented it all so here is what I do have, one almost complete front panel!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Primer fuzz!:( I know that stuff is microscopic, but it drives me crazy. Lint is probably why I don't use paint much.
    It looks like a good job really. You see a lot of paint jobs here with the black showing through.

15. Kylevdm

I know... but I am in a little bit of a rush to get the project to the point where I am happy with progress before I move on Friday! Would love to be able to remove all the lint but it really will not all happen in time :(

16. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Slowly but surely

I wanna see the front and how its going to turn out

Btw: Happy Birthday! ...?

I saw it at the bottom so i assume its right... right?

17. Kylevdm

It was indeed, CHEERS!

18. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

awaiting the next install, we need updates dude!

19. Kylevdm

here you go :p

Well, it has been an interesting few months. University, stupid sleeping patterns, an excessive number of nights spent in clubs… Well it is time to get back on track don’t you think? I have been living in halls of residence at the University of Glasgow as of week after my last update. Hence, as much as I would love to be modding in my room that option was thrown out the window given the fact that I am not allowed to have a candle in my room due to “health and safety” and spraying deodorant has the potential to set off the fire alarm! I reckon they may have a few things to say if I broke out the dremel, jigsaw and paint cans.

But I am now home, where I was welcomed with horrible cold weather, snow and my dads efforts to kindly sorted out the shed (and hide all my stuff!). But that will not stop me from modding, it may hinder but it will not stop! Anyway on with what I have to show you eh?

Well I got to work on the windowed side panel, as you may recall I am going to be putting some armored panels on both sides. Originally it was going to be in 3mm aluminum but in order to finish this mod anytime soon I have decided to use a slightly easier to work with material MDF… I hate the stuff with a passion but given enough patience it is possible to cut out, file, sand and finish in a short space of time.

I have created 4 separate pieces for the windowed panel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The second image shows the reason why I hate MDF, it splits but it will be possible to fix that when I attach it to the panel :)

Until next time, catch!

20. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Those will give the panels a nice effect Kyle. I haven't worked with MDF yet, but it's very affordable and will have to someday!