1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Modular Jukebox - On Hold - Oct 9th

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Phat Ass, 8 Jun 2006.

1. Phat Ass

Phat Ass What's a Dremel?

This was basically a proof of copncept for the design of my desktop, but thats been pushed back now to probably christmas or after. The whurlitzer idea is interesting, might have a look into how feasible it would be to replicate to some extent perhaps in the future.

2. scifi3018

scifi3018 Minimodder

I didnt even know that was a wurlitzer, but i am a fan of wurlitzer organs ever since i saw the one at radio city music hall as a kid... ahhh good times

But i think that would seperate this from severama a bit, and generally make it stand out. But it would completly douse the sleek square looks of the alu taht you have going on...

3. Phat Ass

The alu curve wouldnt be too hard to make, just time consuming. Perhaps use some slightly thinner alu, make a mould from wood and then bend the metal round it and use a blow torch to heat it up to make it easier.

Done a little more work tonight.

[​IMG]
    The bolts holding the panel in place have been chopped down to fit with the optical drive inside.

[​IMG]
    The only thing left to do to make the case fit back together it to make a false bolt to glue in place with epoxy to make everything match.

[​IMG]
    Once i'd fastened the side back in place i wasn't sure if i'd left enough space for the HD to fit between the CD drive and modo shelf. luckily it does :)

4. scifi3018

scifi3018 Minimodder

Have you checked to see if you IDE cable is long enough to reach the drives now that there the other way around?
    It looks like you will have to run it under the mobo, i hope you dont have to twist it around or anything...

Just a thought.

5. Phat Ass

I checked the cable length and it should just about reach, but they do twist around a bit. Used them folded over before and it worked fine.

6. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

Could you post some dimensions, so we know how big/small the box is?
    Thanks and keep it up!

7. Phat Ass

Done a bit more work on the case today, started making preperations for mounting the front and back which i got a few days ago.

[​IMG]
    Wasnt sure wether or not to make the brackets the fullwidth from edge to edge or just between the other brackets.

[​IMG]
    Decided to go with a full width bracket, purely to make it look better, which as its not going to be seen seems excessive, but what the hell :).

[​IMG]
    Three brackets give four mounting points for the front and back and provide the largest surface area of contact for the epoxy.

[​IMG]
    Sadly i only bought one length of aluminium. so i can only do the front of the case, i'll get more and finish the other side along with trimming the front and back down this weekend.

8. Phat Ass

Another update, slightly less than i wanted to do this week, but its been an odd week/weekend which nothing really to show for it.

With the front of the case cut to size, a few things need to be attached to the frame before any holes can be cut for the drive.

The first of these is the front itself which attaches to the brackets epoxied onto the frame.

[​IMG]
    The front was clamped in place over the frame, and both sets of holes drilled at the same time to 3.5mm. This allows the bracket to be tapped, even through they're only 1/16".

[​IMG]
    The front is then drilled out to 4mm and countersunk for the heads.

[​IMG]
    The other part which needs to be attached is the CD drive itself. Once this is secured i can accurately mark and cut the hole for the drive tray.

[​IMG]
    Unfortunatly the holes for the outside edge of the drive need to be countersunk, far more difficult than it sounds due to the location of the holes.

[​IMG]
    They're spectacuarly close to the edge but didnt break through, although this doesnt make countersinking with a larger drill bit to get the shallower angle easy.

[​IMG]
    The holes do line up perfectly which is one less thing to go wrong later.

[​IMG]
    After one failed attempt to drill on the frame as it was another piece of metal was clamped to the frame to prevent the drill wantering out the open side of the hole.

[​IMG]
    The second attempt was slightly better and much easier to do with the scrap piece attached.

[​IMG]
    The hole was actually a little deeper than i thought it would be but didnt break through to the other side.

[​IMG]
    The side fits back on the case without any problems with the screws in place.

I still need to drill the remaining two holes on each side, and attach the bracket for the back of the case and trim the back to fit.

9. scifi3018

scifi3018 Minimodder

This is looking very nice, i cant wait to see more progress.
    I like how the pieces are falling together so precisely :)

10. Klekkus

Klekkus What's a Dremel?

This is looking great ;)

11. OldY

OldY What's a Dremel?

Looking good!!!:)

12. Phat Ass

This project is on hold for now while i try and finish Serverama as another, better solution for a jukebox has come forward, this box might yet be used for soemthing else which will continue in this thread.

13. customh

customh conflagration.

what is said solution?

14. Phat Ass

Ah, good point. Friend of mine has an mitx system which would do perfectly, and is smaller so suits the job better too. I might be able to get it form him as afaik he has no use for it, but we'll see.

Antoher mate wants a file server making from 2.5" laptop drives he aquired from work, which this case would work well for, so that could yet be the end result of this one.

15. Phat Ass

Reborn once again

The Jukebox lives, and not this time from a well placed tap from The Fonz. My gf's birthday is coming up and since at my birthday i had to cobble my laptop into a music streaming box i felt the need to bring this one back to life as the other solutions and ideas for this fell through. So after ebing on call at work one night and having not much else to do i started fixing the server up following an upgrade provided by work. instead of a K6-2 450 with 96MB of ram, this is now a P3 933 with 512MB and can run windows happily :)

A PSU donated by a friend from his P2 350 Gateway was also very handy in finishing this as its much smaller than a standard ATX PSU. This allows room for another drive, or as i found later when i tried to mount it, an extra 3 drives. So with a 300GB drive sat happily in the jukebox, its ready to go.
    Again, as with serverama, pics will be coming soon. I'm in the middle of a few other small prjects which are winding down befoer the end of the week, and i'll have more space to work. So until them simple knoledge that it lives will have to suffice :)