1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Monolith (Completed Pics Page 4)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by craigr1982, 30 Jun 2006.

1. craigr1982

craigr1982 What's a Dremel?

i know how to fix it, but its finding the space and working out how to fix it to that space without spoiling the look i have at the moment.

2. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

[​IMG]

If you get the idea the openings could be on either side but you can duct it in and place the rad right above the PSU and under the mobo area.

3. chase

chase What's a Dremel?

How does the DVD-rom work when its placed in a position like that?

Nice project..

4. craigr1982

hydro, i dont think i can have it where you suggest but i never thought of ducting air to it. now my options have opened more. thanks.

chase, the drives are fine, they open vertically. The only thing i have to make sure the discs are in correctly otherwise they could un seat and slip off. Only happened once and bf2 disc fell inside my case. (that was before i had the plexi on mind you)

5. craigr1982

Right ok. been studying my case for bleedin ages today with the rad in hand trying to fit everything in. the rad is just too big by a lousy 10mm!!

Solution: Cant get it internal so i am going to mount it in a rad box on the top. Hopefully plexi enclosed with a mesh top.
    The pump will be mounted on the base of the case and the res will be ummmm.... yeah the res will be internal at a location as yet undecided.

Should the Rad box have the fans in too? or should the fans be in the case? does it make a difference?

I know i need to cut the tubing holes but if the fans need to be in the case rather than the rad box i need to have the top cut again for fan mounts.

Edit: reading this back it's gettin me confused i think i will show you what i mean

[​IMG]

6. hydro_electric_655

IMHO the best way is to have the fans suck air from the outside through the rads. Gont any room on the rear? That is a common place to mount it.

7. PrometheusCon

PrometheusCon What's a Dremel?

horrible = pump. Lol nice name for that color. Btw I don't see why mounting the drives like that would effect [or is it affect?] anything. The drive basically grips the cd once in so it's basically like a verticle ps2.

I like the screen. Did a quick read so I wasn't sure if this was addressed, but from the look of your video card you are using 2 monitors? Whats your other one?

8. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

One is the one on the case for stats and stuff and the other would be for his actual desktop work, DUH, just playing, :p.

9. hydro_electric_655

You could mod a tray to work flawlessly vertically or any other position by modding it.

10. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

wow nice :) whats this computer going to be used for then ?

11. craigr1982

hydro,
    i thought about mounting on the rear but it will stop my mobo tray sliding out, i might be able to attach it to the mobo tray but im not quite sure how yet.

promethuescon,
    that colour hurts my eyes so it fits well. and yes one screen is for my temps etc or winamp or hamachi, any background apps really. and the other monitor is a 19" Dell TFT.

yahooadam,
    My pc is used for gaming and working in SolidEdge at the moment. When (if ever) I get the cash I'm going to upgrade to Quad Core and then SLI so it can do pretty much anything. Which reminds me I must change my sig.

Keep your comments coming.

12. hydro_electric_655

SInce you loose the Northbridge hsf and the cpu hsf couldn't you moun the rad somewhere between the GFX and the PSU? You coud mount it at an angle or something. I may attempta diagram well see.

13. hydro_electric_655

14. craigr1982

Hydro, the rad will not fit above the psu although it would need a fan if i had it there due to the 12cm fan on the psu.

but i have been thinking about having a new top made and vacuum formed that will hold the rad and fans too. will look a bit like a ram scoop on the front of a car. but with mesh on the top.

something like this.
    [​IMG]
    just a quick sketch and not to scale in any way shape or form

will that be better?

I am also working on a different idea altogether like raising the case slightly to fit everything in. sketch to follow. (seem to spend more time sketchin than fittin the damn thing)

[​IMG]
    its got the pump and rad below in a seperate compartment the res is still where it is. i figure where the res is i can see the level from the outside but it isnt fully outside, only half of it is, (not sure whether the pic shows that properly.)

Opinions Needed!!

Please put in your post which you prefer.
    1 - the rad box roof vacuum moulded etc or
    2 - extension with watercooling in.

Thanks!!

15. hydro_electric_655

I like everything inside personally what program is that? I want it.

16. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

I see some nice orriginal ideas here - Good job.

On top it reminds me of the Koolance Exos (not a bad thing) but it spoils the surprise of the vertical dvd drives (nice idea BTW). I also think it's the most practical (exhausts the hot air out rather than into the case). Still I agree that hidden is nicer so I vote for # 2

17. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

It's Sketchup(.com)

18. Heero195

Heero195 What's a Dremel?

I'd go with the top mounted rad. It not only really looks cool, but then you could also push the hot air sitting at the top of the case out.

19. hydro_electric_655

Heero195 that is a bad idea it will be sucking cool outside air through tthe rad and heat it into the case. It won't work if the water is being cooled with hot air.

20. craigr1982

i spoke to a friend who is involved with plastic moulding etc and he can do a radbox but it wont be until october as he is mad busy at work. Dont want to wait until then so I have extended my case. (thank god for LUBIC) only took about 30mins till i had it how i wanted.

However my case is now officially a BEAST measuring a whopping 57cm tall (not including castors) 46cm long and 24cm wide.

Of course this throws most of my plexi panels out, front, back and sides. i cant get any plexi till at least the 16th as my supplier is on holiday till then.

pic below with my NEW 8mb camera, cropped etc to make a file less than 1mb (damn you photobucket)

[​IMG]

the cabling is a mess and the water is still out for now but its better. did a test fit with everything and its fine just need the plexi to mount things to.

comments welcome.