1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Monolith (Completed Pics Page 4)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by craigr1982, 30 Jun 2006.

1. craigr1982

craigr1982 What's a Dremel?

hello again, long time no speak. Work has been mad busy pulling 15hour shifts every night it seems. Finally got the time to order the plexi so it should be here sometime next week while i'm off.

Be nice to finally mount this damn watercooling, its been sitting on the floor in boxes since I got it!

I will keep you posted.

2. KlavKalashj

KlavKalashj What's a Dremel?

Good work, really like this project. I would vote for rad on bottom, that would be most goodlooking, but maybe not best-performing...still, isn't looks all? (Sorry fro crappy english, I'm from Sweden. It's all the Norweigeans fault.)

3. craigr1982

BL**DY HELL!!! This working nights is driving me up the wall!! No time for eating, let alone modding.

My plexi arrived and I sent it to a guy for the cutting, then i went off to work for 2 weeks. Came back expecting it done, went round to pick it up......he F**KING closed. Went out of business! B*STARD!!! I'm so angry. Rang him up and sent an email. today, well yesterday he finally brought my plexi back to me.....UNCUT!!!

TW*T!

Now i gotta find another guy to do the cutting and it has put me back cos this week I have 2 days off that i could have spent tweaking and finished my project.

SO ANGRY!!

Anyway thats me let off some steam now, sorry guys n gals.

4. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

cool...bigger is bettar. (see sig)
    good work on the framing, esp. when you extended it, wish you had more detailed pics on how you did it.

sux about your plexi. I did my own but I cheated, my girlfrind has a matte cutting board that makes scoring a breeze. Do you have Lowes in UK? My local Lowes does glass and plexi cutting real cheap while you wait.

anyway, looking forward to the finale, that black mirror finish looks gorgeous.

5. craigr1982

this res mount is ****ing me off!

i want it so that only half the res is seen (as in my sketches. Unfortunatly this is a nightmare as I cant attach it to anything strong enough.

Went to B & Q and bought some drain pipe bits. thinking of putting the res on the side with some drainpipe hiding the barbs etc.

pictures tell a 1000 words so i will take a pic n then put it on here.

[​IMG]

Its just resting on some scrap plexi but you get the idea

6. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

7. craigr1982

you get around.....

8. Slakker

Slakker What's a Dremel?

The problem with vertical drives is that the motors tend to wear out, and, as you've experienced, the discs can become unseated from time to time and do crazy stuff...A friend of mine had a disc unseat and shatter inside the machine...shredded most of the internals.

This mod is looking great....keep us posted! I like the gloss black plexi, and regardless of potential problems, vertical drives are sleek!

9. craigr1982

Well my panels are being cut today so I can pick them up tomorrow.

About time too I hear you cry.

Anyway, I have done the stealthing for the drives and got some more piccys for your delight.

Now You See Me!
    [​IMG]

Now You Dont!
    [​IMG]
    well as near as dammit anyway.

also spoke to my engineer mate and we have devised a way to mount my res internally as my previous design so when my panels come back I can get modding the res mounts

Last edited: 11 Oct 2006
  10. luis_pedro_Sato

luis_pedro_Sato Minimodder

Can yout tell me how you plugd you LCD to your graphisc card ?

11. FooSai

FooSai What's a Dremel?

It's not an LCD it's a little TFT screen, its just pluged in using a standard cable run through his case, you can see it in the pic on post #41

And this is nice case you're building here, hope you're gonna tidy them wires a bit though. And I like the "res barb cover" good use of drain pipe

12. craigr1982

yeah the wires are a bit of a mess atm. going to blitz them when i do the water loop.

13. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

I gotta say I like the case and the idea to mount the whole monitor that way. However I always think it ruins a mod to have a cable run out the back of the computer and into a port. I would reccomend getting a cheap pci graphics card and just soldering an internal connector to it. It will look much better and will free up the port on your better card for a second monitor on your desktop.

There are quite a few pci based grahpics cards that have a plug on the card where the vga port plugs into since its a half-hieght card and the vga is optional. Very possible to just unscrew the vga port from the back plate and plug your monitor into it that way.

Other than that I like the direction this is going. I must say its a unique way to mount your optical drives. Dont see any reason to worry about the drives failing.

14. craigr1982

yeah the wire out back sucks but the one problem with that idea is....i only have 1 pci lane. want to put a xfi into it as my sound is crackly on games and some music.

if anyone can point me in the direction of a how to do to it internally then i might mod my gfx card. its only a xfx 6800gs anyway

15. craigr1982

well i am posting this on my laptop cos my pc is in bits atm.

plexi is done. res is mounted. just routing the tubing and doing cable management. (Pics to follow later on)

My rig has been down since friday @ 2pm as i been working on the tubing. Had to put it on hold this weekend so far as the gf is complaining that i'm not giving her attention.

just did a test fit with all panels on and its going to look the biz when its done. Hopefully today but definatly by monday!

will post pics asap

16. led_zeppelinzoso

led_zeppelinzoso What's a Dremel?

so, uh, is that lcd from a laptop? or what? and if so, how did you get it to work with a pc?

17. craigr1982

well my rig is finally up and running although the temps are wrong somewhere along the line.
    CPU 1 - 50C
    CPU 2 - 54C
    GPU - 48C

Anyway, got some pics but they excuse the quality as my digital camera has gone AWOL so had to use my phone cam.

More pics to come when i have done some tweaking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

had an idea with these too.

[​IMG]

as i said the pics are poor quality but i will get some better ones soon.

18. craigr1982

Nah man the LCD was jist a normal TFT. It uses a normal D-SUB connection so it is a doddle to connect. I thought about using a lcd from a lappy but the connections and trying to find wiring diagrams to wire them up with is a nightmare!

19. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Wetsander

Yeah, wiring up a laptop screen is near impossible. I've only heard of it being done once or twice. (Why can't manufactures use standard parts on laptops?! :wallbash: )
    Anyway, nice nice job man.

20. craigr1982

TADA!!! :D

Found my camera and these shots of it do look a lot better. I have left some of the protective film on but only while I am still putting the finishing touches on. Anyway enough of my ramblings heres the pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]