1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: 'Monster' Gaming Rig by CustomPCMAX

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by CustomPCMAX, 13 Jul 2009.

1. CustomPCMAX

CustomPCMAX Computer Geek

Hey all - Nate from CustomPCMAX here,

Here is another mod project I am working on. This is going to be a massive gaming PC using some of the highest quality parts. Along with that, we are going to be modding the case (a SilverStone TJ10B-W) with some custom paint work.

Here is a stock photo of the case:
    [​IMG]

The SilverStone TJ10B-W was chosen for this build because of the sheer quality of the case. It is made of sturdy aluminum and has a design that promotes good airflow. The structure of the case is architecturally very sound as well. This is the type of case that you keep your whole life. Everything about the case is made of quality material, no junk plastic or anything. Which is why we thought it was a perfect fit for a 'monster' gaming PC and a worthy candidate for some custom artwork.

The paint work is going to be done by Bill Owen at MNPCTech. The case will be dismantled and there will be an application automotive high gloss enamel paint as base color, then airbrush artwork the right side panel. The interior chasis is going to be painted a shade of blue that will match to the artwork going on the side panel. Final step will be to clear coat the entire case.

Here is the artwork for the right side panel:
    [​IMG]

FYI: This is the window version of the TJ10 we are using.

Now, you ask... what about the guts to this thing? Well, here is the current plans for it.

System:
    1 Intel Core i7-975 Extreme Edition Bloomfield 3.33GHz Quad-Core
    1 EVGA E760 CLASSIFIED Intel X58 EATX Intel Motherboard
    2 CORSAIR Dominator GT 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 2000 Desktop Memory (12 Gig total)
    2 EVGA GeForce GTX 285 Superclocked Edition 2GB 512-bit DDR3
    2 Western Digital Black 1 Terabyte 7400 RPM SATA Hard Drive
    2 OCZ Summit 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid state disk
    1 LITE-ON Black 4X Blu-ray Burner Model
    1 PC Power & Cooling 1200W Power Supply
    1 AuzenTech Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz Sound Card

Accessories:
    2 Grow Up Japan Inc. - Smart Drive Hard Disk Drive Enclosure Silencer
    1 Prolimatech Megahalems CPU Heatsink + Tuniq TX2 Thermal Compound
    2 Noiseblocker NB-Multiframe 120mmx25mm Ultra Silent PWM Fan + Clips
    5 Noiseblocker NB-Multiframe 120mmx25mm Ultra Silent Fan - For Case

As we move forward with this, I will post some pics and specs of the above parts. But, as you can see this is not going to be a slouch in the performance department. We fully intend to do some OCing of that CPU as well, hopefully getting something around 4 Ghz stable.

2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

That sounds damn impressive Nate :thumb:

3. CustomPCMAX

Thanks! I am pretty excited to get my hands into this system. Lots of fun toys...

4. Kenny_McCormick

Kenny_McCormick Minimodder

Why two when you can have three? I want some toys too :(

I'll be following this mod. GL & HF

5. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

Wow! Who painted that picture for you?

6. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Is this only going to be aircooled? It seems a little bit of a waste to have that sort of power and not try to watercool it.

7. CustomPCMAX

Thanks for all the feedback so quickly.

The specs of the build were my customer's choice. Air cooling is the plan right now, though they have already told me they may go water cooling down the road. But, you are right, we could get more out of the CPU with a WC setup. But, I think we all may be surprised how cool this will run, despite only air cooling methods. The Prolimatech Megahalems is a great cooler and this case is setup well for good fresh air to flow around the chasis.

Anyways, keep checking back, I will have more updates soon.

8. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

You don't need to watercool a rig like this actually. It only adds costs. And overclocking? There's no game outthere that would need overclocking this rig either to be playable.

9. CustomPCMAX

Here are some photos I took of the case before dropping it off with Bill to be painted.

You can see the side fresh air intake vents. This case has a semi-unusual setup, in that the front intake fan is set behind the hard drive cages. The side vents allow fresh air to be drawn in without going through the harddrives first. Also, you can see the vent on top. This has room for two 120 mm exhaust fans.
    [​IMG]

Front bay door open, top i/o panel open.
    [​IMG]

Hard drive cages, which you can't see, but there is a fan in between the two cages and a vent on the base of the case. Pretty cool design. Then behind the hard drive area, there is the middle intake fans. You can see how there is a separated vent area between the hard drive cages and the intake fan. This means totally fresh air going into the motherboard area.
    [​IMG]

Removable motherboard tray. This isn't anything to uncommon. But, what is uncommon about it in the TJ10 is that it is really nicely done. It slides like butter after removing 5 thumb screws from the back. A lot of cheaper cases don't always move very smoothly. Also, as you can see in the photo, the whole back panel surrounding the i/o ports and the expansion card slots moves with the tray. Some cases are not setup the same, and essentially you are forced to remove video cards before sliding the tray out. On the bottom of the case, you can see a vent for the power supply. This way, you can run the PSU up or down, your choice. The feet on this case are nice and tall, which means if you run the PSU fan down, it will have plenty of airflow through that bottom vent.
    [​IMG]

10. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

Amazing spec and really tasty case, should be good!

11. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

I should be able to start dismantling the tj10 today Nate. Start filling in the door after removing the Silverstone logo. We'll do this, so it's a smooth flat surface for airbrushing the 2nd image over the entire bevel.

Heres a couple of other tj10 cases we've painted with automotive finishes.

Silverstone TJ10, with Dodge Charger "Sublime Green" factory paint application for customer.

[​IMG]

The TJ10's matte black side vents fit the theme nice

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ferrari Corsa Red
    [​IMG]

12. CustomPCMAX

Thanks for the update Bill.

We have also had a change in plans for the artwork design. Originally, this project was going to be a non-window version of the TJ10. It was going to have artwork on each side panel. As we moved forward, it was decided that we wanted a window on this system.

Originally, this image was going to go on the side panel:
    [​IMG]

Now, after conferring with Bill, it was decided that we use the other image that was provided (for the non-window version) as the right panel artwork.
    [​IMG]

We all agree that that one will look better enlarged and airbrushed on the side. We will then use other image in painting the front door panel.

13. mnpctech

Dismantled the Silverstone tj10 for CustomPCMax's customer today.

All of these parts will be painted with a new Gloss Black finish
    [​IMG]

All of the chassis parts will be painted Blue
    [​IMG]

All of the tj10's screws and fasteners are bagged into categories for it's re-assembly later on
    [​IMG]

14. DonT-FeaR

DonT-FeaR I know what a fk'n Dremel is ok.:D

cool start guys :p

15. Kenny_McCormick

Kenny_McCormick Minimodder

I must take note of that. I prefer the second picture to airbrush. It's more agressive.

16. mnpctech

Heres a tip, Use a Heatgun positioned behind the HD & PWR LED lenses, (backside of the bezel) to soften the factory glue and remove them.

fyi: This technique also works great with the thin & fragile led lenses used by Lian Li

You can use Super Glue or Krazy Glue to re-install them after you've painted everything.

[​IMG]

17. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

I love that green, it looks superb. Also she is hot hot hot and would look great on the side panels. Good going guys.

18. mnpctech

Thanks Wolf, we think so too! A mural will be airbrushed over the front of the bezel, so the Silverstone badge will be removed and smoothed over with filler.

[​IMG]

You can pry off the badge with a micro flat head screw driver, I use masking tape to avoid scratching the surface
    [​IMG]

19. DonT-FeaR

DonT-FeaR I know what a fk'n Dremel is ok.:D

bye bye badge!

20. mnpctech

Yes :thumb:

I use Evercoat's Everglass "short strand" fiberglass filler mixed with included blue cream hardener to fill in the badge location. After an hour, I sand the surface smooth with 300 grit with 3M brand automotive sand paper.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]