1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project "Movie Night" - All Acrylic Home Theater/PVR PC - November 24, 2004

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Bazman, 14 Sep 2004.

1. Bazman

Bazman What's a Dremel?

Hello all,

This is my first post to the bit-tech forums. I have checked out many other mod forums on the net, and I gotta say, this one is the best I've seen. Keep up the good work! So, this is where my project log will stay for the duration.

I have started my second major computer build. :dremel: The first was my main beast of a computer that I finished last year. For my second build, I'm going with an idea that I've had for quite a while. It will be a personal challenge to finish it, but with the all insane amount of education that I've gotten from the mod forums out there (especially this one), I'm pretty much ready to go.

This computer will be a home theater PC with a custom built black, smoke, and clear acrylic case, with DVD, TV recording, and some other goodies thrown in. First off, the progression of prototype designs that I've done over the past couple weeks:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then the specs:

Intel D865PERL Motherboard
    Pentium 4 2.4GHz, 800MHz FSB
    256MB PC3200
    ATI Radeon 9000
    80 gig SATA drive
    Shuttle PC40 250W PSU
    Hauppauge WinTV PVR 250 PCI card
    Pioneer slot loading DVD-ROM
    Matrix Orbital GLK12232-25-WBL
    Powermate USB Multimedia Controller
    SnapStream BeyondTV 3 PVR software
    Windows XP Home

I have made some more modifications to the design since the last image above, so I will post an updated image soon. But at least for the time being, I'd love to hear some critiques from you all. And if I can't find answers to future problems, you folks will be my mod professors!!

Last edited: 25 Nov 2004
  2. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

very cool case, cant wait to see it being built.

3. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Very nice concept.

However, I'll have to move it to modding in accordance with Project Logs Rules. Plans/ideas go in modding. Once you have started some actual modding work and posted the pics here, let an admin or moderator know and we will move it back to Project Logs.

Best of luck with it! :dremel:

4. 1st time modder

1st time modder What's a Dremel?

I have a computer case made entirely out of smoked acrylic, and let me tell you it looks pretty cool, but to really see anything inside you need a light source behind it. The middle drawing concept looks the most pleasing because its looks fairly simple, and looks much more professional., since smoked acrylic is see-through, it would be a cumbersome task to fit clear into the front and the sides, but thats just my opinion

5. NOMIS

NOMIS What's a Dremel?

That looks mint, can't wait to see it progress.

6. Bazman

Bazman What's a Dremel?

Ah, I had just emailed a moderator about the category switch. I was like, where did my post go? Did I really make one or was I dreaming about modding again?! Mystery solved..............and yes, I was dreaming about modding :rock:

7. jaguarking11

So in your dreams did the pc look as good as the renderings? Id love to see it done. Ill subscribe to it anyway dont let me down now.

8. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

This looks awesome. One question though, is it really going to be as 'tall' as it appears? Or is it going to be about the height of a large Amp (approx max PCI height)?

9. juzzwuzz

juzzwuzz What's a Dremel?

I'm definitly subscriped :D
    Can't wait to see how this turns out.
    Good Luck. :dremel:

10. Bazman

Bazman What's a Dremel?

I have discussed this with a number of people, and I do realize that some may find the height a bit of an issue. The dimensions that I'm working with are 13" wide, 9" high, and 11" deep. It is taller than your average HTPC, but for the purposes of my own living room, it is so far working out very well. I made a mockup out of cardboard, and it fits well with my stereo unit and TV. As of right now, I still have not made up my mind whether to switch from the full size slot loading DVD to a laptop slot loading drive. The laptop drive would bring the height down some. I'm leaning more toward the full size one mainly so I can try out ZapWizard's LED mod on it. :dremel: :rock:

So unless I do change my mind, this should be the final dimensions.

11. Bazman

Bazman What's a Dremel?

OK, my brain was kind of on overdrive today at work thinking about the design of the case. Since my job allows me lots of free time, I usually spend it online researching techniques and finding some inspiration for this project. I got to thinking about doing some intricate cut work in the acrylic, but slowly realized that even though I'm not too shabby with the Dremel, I doubt I could do the kind of precise cutting I was envisioning.

So I ventured on the web for some laser cutting companies that might be close to where I live. I can not believe I didn't do this search earlier. :duh: Just a mere 12 miles away is Ohio Laser Center (which I think I pass everytime I drive to Columbus). They can cut just about anything, especially acrylic!! :rock: So when I get home in a couple hours, I'm gonna kick my brain and modeling program into serious overdrive. Look for new images in the morning!

Oh, and one more thing.........the motherboard arrived today! Let the games begin!

12. Redd_Herring_1974

Redd_Herring_1974 What's a Dremel?

sweet deal dude i've always wanted to find a laser cuting place....wish i could afford one like yoshi's from tech tv

13. Bazman

Bazman What's a Dremel?

Project Update - Sept. 15, 2004

OK, here's the next update. I spent a good couple hours last night and this morning working on getting you all a decent image rendered out of how this project looks at the moment. However, 1GB of memory in my computer doesn't seem to be enough to render out the image :wallbash: And I don't really understand why, because some other animation projects that I've worked on were far more detailed than this. Whatever!!

So what I have done is a simple 360 degree wireframe of how it looks now. On the upside, it is kinda cool to watch. On the downside, at 784KB, I will have to apologize to all you 56k-ers. I might have to continue doing this for a while until I work out my memory problem.

[​IMG]

And also, my motherboard did arrive yesterday. And with payday today, there should be more lovely bits of hardware streaming in during the next week.

[​IMG]

Enjoy -- Bazman

Last edited: 15 Sep 2004
  14. jaguarking11

What brand mb is that? The black pcb looks nice. Is it intel? Or Soyo?

15. Bazman

Bazman What's a Dremel?

It is an Intel D865PERL motherboard. There are about four or five different configurations of it. The top two versions have the black PCB and the top model (which is the one I have) has all the upgrades, including Gigabit LAN and digital audio out. This is the feature I like the most, because I won't need a separate PCI card for digital audio.

16. juzzwuzz

Black Mobo's look so cool. :hip:
    Just wish other brands were also black and not the brown flava. :wallbash:

17. jaguarking11

Other manufacturers make black pcb MB's as well. Here is another black pcb mb Its not in stock rite now on newegg but im shure you culd find it elsewere. I personaly Have the red version of that mb minus the digital audio but thats ok since I have a SB lIve 5.1 and I have made a coax out for it.

18. juzzwuzz

I mostly look at A64 Motherboards not Intel one's. I'm more over to AMD. :rock:

19. Bazman

Bazman What's a Dremel?

Well, the design work on this is going slow, because my actual work has kept me busier than usual. I have, however, ordered a few additional things. I should be receiving some new acrylic cutting and drilling tools very soon. I also jumped on newegg.com and ordered an ATI Radeon 9000 video card, 256MB of PC3200 RAM, and Logitech's Cordless MX Duo keyboard and mouse. I'm anxious to get the Logitech bundle, because I want to see how I can integrate the mouse recharging station into the design of the case. Most of the time, I should only need to use the remote control for the PC, but having the keyboard and mouse available will be nice. And at least while I'm designing and building the case, I think I'll give the keyboard and mouse a test drive on my own computer!! :rock:

So with tomorrow being Friday, hopefully work won't be so bad, and the design process can continue.

......Bazman

20. BlackMan

BlackMan Minimodder

you look like you have a nice mod in the making, hope it all turns out as you want it