1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project "Movie Night" - All Acrylic Home Theater/PVR PC - November 24, 2004

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Bazman, 14 Sep 2004.

1. Bazman

Bazman What's a Dremel?

Project Update - November 1, 2004

Hey all,

I received an additional 256MB of RAM and my Shuttle power supply today. I also received the PowerMate USB volume knob from Griffin Technologies. However, they sent me the black version instead of the aluminum one. I should have the new one tomorrow. I am officially on vacation all next week, which is computer build week! :rock: All the remaining parts are on order. I will head to my local plastics supplier to pick up all the acrylic later this week.

I do have a problem, though. The Shuttle power supply power connections for the motherboard are both very short. I understand that this is meant to be used for a Shuttle case, but where I will mount the PSU in my case, the cables won't reach. So does anyone know where I can get extensions for those connections?

Thanks....Bazman

Last edited: 15 Nov 2004
  2. crimandevil

crimandevil What's a Dremel?

I've got a few dead PSUs just for that purpose but I'm going to need alittle more then that (around 200ft of wire). I found that Performance-PC sells the stuff, 18 gauge wire for $.19/ft but discounts if you buy more. I have to order some on Wednesday for my project. ;)

LOL, i just started my own HTPC case mod too.

3. Bazman

Bazman What's a Dremel?

Project Update - November 11, 2004

OK, because there is a Dremel now being involved, I think it's a good time to request that this post be moved to the Project Log section. :dremel: :rock:

That's right, I have finally started doing some actual building. It's a small beginning, because my plastics supplier ran out of the main 1/4" black acrylic sheets that I need for this case. Apparently, someone came in and bought it all to make signs.....SIGNS?!!! :duh: What's more important, signs or computer modding, I ask you?? And they won't get more in stock until next Thursday.

So in the meantime, I've begun working on the parts of the case that use the 1/8" acrylic pieces. I'll have some pictures up in a couple hours, and I'll also have some time-lapse video up on my web site during the night. I will be doing a lot of time-lapse during the project; one, because this is something I've wanted to see from a lot of other modders' projects, and two, because it looks cool!

I've also started drawing out full-scale blueprints for the case. Besides the computer models that I have, this is a great way to really visualize the layout in full size. I'll post some pics of that work tonight, too.

So enjoy the progress. I know I will.

---Bazman

4. Bazman

Bazman What's a Dremel?

Here's a few pictures from the beginning progress.

A precariously mounted web cam for the time-lapse video
    [​IMG]

My "workbench"
    [​IMG]

Working on the front plate for the LCD screen
    [​IMG]

Front plate finished with LCD in place
    [​IMG]

Once some of the other smaller pieces are finished up, I'll post some pics. Back to work...

--Bazman

5. Bazman

Bazman What's a Dremel?

A few more visuals for the project:

Left and right side window pane etchings
    [​IMG]

A couple of time-lapse videos of the work (XVid codec required)
    Front LCD plate
    Left and right side etchings

This might be all I can work on until I get the 1/4" sheets for the rest of the case. Until then, I'll continue on the full-scale drawings I've been working on.

Enjoy----Bazman

6. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

do you hvae a clean fetish?

Great idea with the time-lapse, and amazing work with the etching.

7. Bazman

Bazman What's a Dremel?

Haha. No no, no clean fetish. I just thought it was funny watching "light speed vacuuming". :rock:

8. Bazman

Bazman What's a Dremel?

For those of you who have worked with acrylic, is it better to cut or score 1/4" thick acrylic? I've had no problems scoring 1/8" and 1/16", but I just want to make sure that the 1/4" thickness will still break clean and straight. I'd much rather snap the sheets apart than cut them anyway.

9. Isuo

Isuo What's a Dremel?

From the models, that you have put here, I have gotten the idea, that the case will look nice when it's finished. I'll stick around...

10. Bazman

Bazman What's a Dremel?

Project Update - November 17, 2004

There should really be more hours in the day for modding. We need "modding laws" set up so that we can work on our stuff instead of worrying about a paycheck - and still get paid while modding, of course. :rock:

But I digress....

I started working on the front face of the case this morning. There's nothing like the sound of 1/4" acrylic snapping apart cleanly. Of course, the neighbors probably thought a gun went off or something.
    [​IMG]

With the time that I had, I marked out the access hole behind the PowerMate volume knob to allow the USB cable to fit through. A hole saw and Dremel bit finished up the job.
    [​IMG]

It would have been nice to have an alternate version of the PowerMate that had the wire coming out from the back, but I made due. The wire only sticks out a little bit. Besides, with that lovely blue glow, I doubt much attention will be given to "that wire comin' out the top".
    [​IMG]

More to come....
    Bazman

11. Isuo

Isuo What's a Dremel?

Nice start.

12. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

How are you going to attach the powermate to the plexi?

(I have the same powermate sitting on my desk!).

good luck
    L

13. Bazman

Bazman What's a Dremel?

For now, what I'm planning on doing is hot gluing the PowerMate from the back. After feeding the USB cable through the hole and placing it against the acrylic, I'll fill the access hole with hot glue. That should hold it on nice and tight.

14. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

Looking very nice so far! Keep up the good work!

15. korben

korben What's a Dremel?

Very nice, will follow with interest. :thumb:

16. ColD_FusSioN

ColD_FusSioN What's a Dremel?

Looking very nice, that blue color is cool...

17. Bazman

Bazman What's a Dremel?

Project Update - November 24, 2004

It's frustrating how little I can work on this, but here's the next update. I've got the four windows on the front cut out and polished, plus the recessed USB ports are cut out. The photos below are right after the windows got cut out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also did another time lapse video during the window cut outs, which you can get here (XVid codec required).

The Thanksgiving weekend will hopefully give me some time to work. Also, I've been looking around the web for power buttons for ATX cases, but I can't find any. I need a cool one to use for the PVR. I've been trying to find some cheap cases that I could strip the power button from, but haven't found any to my liking. Anyone know where I might find some good case power buttons?

---Bazman

18. GigantoR

GigantoR What's a Dremel?

Lookin great so far man, good high quality stuff. And really clean too, your desk as well lol. Dust Buster to the rescue!

19. G4m3R_X3r0

G4m3R_X3r0 What's a Dremel?

20. Bazman

Bazman What's a Dremel?

:rock: Wow, that switch is perfect. I was planning on doing some kind of LED ring around the switch, but this one saves me the trouble. Plus, it matches the volume knob.

You da man, G4!! Thanks a lot! :dremel: