1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project MPB [Jan 11]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ReFredzRate, 9 Jan 2003.

1. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

Hey guys, you just might remember project Helios.
    Here is project MPB for you to enjoy! It's an MP3 player, but... it's DOS based. Just got out the Intel Pentium 120 from under my desk, blew off all the dust and hacked a hole into the side. Window will not be fitted yet, because I am thinking about spraying the rest of the case as well. The front bezel has been sprayed white... On the pics the white of the bezel looks like it really is, but the rest of the case still is grayish. Anyone got some ideas what else to do with it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 11 Jan 2003
  2. iSteve

iSteve What's a Dremel?

DOS based ? FOOOOOL! Make it linux based!

3. ReFredzRate

well... thnx for the comment :waah:

I have limited Linux experience and DOS runs fine here. So... just using MPXplay to decode and play the songs :)

4. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

That's ok, iSteve is always insulting. :eek:

But, he is right.. I built an MP3 playing system and had much better luck in terms of performance on a linux box.. have a hack about in the Linux subforum in Software and see if you can get some information on an easy install.

5. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

Yeah, I've used Linux, but however easy the install, it's not as easy as DOS :) And DOS is perfectly acceptable for an MP3 player in my opinion. Has some great aspects like the boot time is insanely small and it doesn't need to be shut down, just powered off.

6. ReFredzRate

I agree with NiHiLiST (love typing the name ;) ), but the actual OS isn't going to be an issue before the case is finished...

So, anyone up for some design brainstorming?

7. NiHiLiST

Ooh, by the way, if you want an album database on there and a good alphanumeric LCD interface then try out www.jukebox.btinternet.co.uk. It's excellent. It runs in DOS and uses MPXPlay as the player. It's very nice and supports Ogg files etc too.

I need ideas for a box for my MP3 player system too :p VIA Epia 5000 board, hdd, psu, MO LK204-25PC. I was thinking one of those Maplin alu project boxes but the LCD is too tall to fit in the sides, and I don't want it to be in the large side since that'd then have to be pointing at me and it'd look huge.

Oh, and RAMeLaiR, call me nih if you like :p

8. ReFredzRate

After a nervous breakdown and beating up my little brother (never ment to do that though) I decided to do some relaxing case modding. That's why I rounded my PSU cables. They're all rounded with black duct tape as you can see.

[​IMG]

9. dakar

dakar What's a Dremel?

:idea: Grab a can of "Bumper Chrome" spray paint and shoot the inside of that case to get rid of that grey color.

10. ReFredzRate

I wont be painting the chassis, because you wont see it anyway. I was thinking about putting a green cathode inside though. I have a blue one in Helios and am thinking about kind of an X-mas effect around my room ;) Ah well... maybe you're right. I don't have any chrome spray left anymore, but I think white would do well with this case. But how about black? Black or white? You choose...

11. txi

txi What's a Dremel?

black! 'cause i'll do white ====))

12. ReFredzRate

Than black it is... I'll spray it as soon as it gets a bit warmer.

Next issue: I am thinking about a VU meter, flashing along with the music. I have seen some retro styled VU meters, but also LED VU meters. Which one should I choose and where do I find the right documentation about it...

13. ReFredzRate

little extra update: Stole my little brothers soundcard (sshhh... dont tell anyone!) and stuffed it in along with the graphics card. Rounded a few more cables as well...

[​IMG]

14. Deymos

Deymos What's a Dremel?

Retro style! cos' I'll use led vu meters :D

And thanks to NiHiLiST for the info about the lcd plugin... I will need it...

RAMeLaiR, what version of dos where u thinking? 6.22?(that's the only one I have here, not sure if it still works, lost the olders)

15. NiHiLiST

No problem mate, what's knowledge for if not for sharing? Aside from power of course, and attaining a state of self-enlightenment.

16. Deymos

Deymos What's a Dremel?

just a thought...
    anyone knows how to connect a dos PC to a LAN?
    I've never done it so it's something i don't know how to do...

:blush: :blush: :blush:

edit:just some hints, i wouldn't ask for a guide

17. NiHiLiST

It's not easy, but it IS possible. I lost the URL that I had on how to set it up though :wallbash: sorry!

18. ReFredzRate

System specs:
    * Intel Motherboard socket 5
    * Intel Pentium CPU 120 MHz
    * S3 Virge 4Mb graphics card
    * Creative Soundblaster (I think... it's one of the oldest cards around)
    * CD-Rom drive not available yet...

Software:
    * Dos 6.22
    * MpxPlay (not really sure what version, will find out.)

So the chassis will be sprayed black. The PSU will be sprayed black as well. The retro VU meter sounds like a sweet idea, since the system is quite retro as well ;)

Does anyone have some articles about the retro VU meter? I screwed up 2 LCD's and I'm not planning on trashing any more stuff. So please be so kind to help me out :) Thanx

19. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

sorry to get off the point ...

but i see ur from groningen .... is Argen robben really as good in real life as he is in champ manager ;)

(actually i think hes moved to psv now but i spose the question stands)

u might think about using win 3.1 tho...cos thats pretty damn quick to boot and at least its got a gui....

Harry

20. ReFredzRate

Sorry fathazza, I'm not really a soccer fan ;)

You're making a good point in using Win3.1. Hadn't thought about that yet. I'll think that over :)