1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project 'mr leech'

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by purple, 18 Jan 2003.

1. purple

purple Minimodder

well i got some parts for christmas and desided to start on the leech / media / car box i have beenthinking of for a while..

basic plan is to have a lump in the boot that i can pull in and out, to play mp3's and may be in the future do sat nav with as well..

When its out of the boot i want it to be a leech box for lan parties and an MP3/divx/dvd player for the house..

so the parts ive got are

epia 800 board
    256 generic 133 memory
    80g maxtor drive
    150w 1u PSU
    LG dvd drive
    5.6 inch NTSC LCD screen

to give you all some idea of the parts involved....

[​IMG]

next i want to make sure i get this into as small a space as possible while leaving the pci slot on the board clear to use in the future for what ever i deside i need it for, probably sat nav, but maybe a wireless network card..

[​IMG]

The back connectors have been left out of the image above cos i got bored....

As to how i'm going to hold every thing in place i was thinking of a prespex cube.. but thats already been done so i need to work out a way of making it look more original..

2. delphia

delphia What's a Dremel?

looks seriously 1337, but will heat be an issue?

3. relix

relix Minimodder

uhu, very l33t :D

but isn't a DVD, or even CD-drive overkill for a "leeching"-machine?

4. delphia

delphia What's a Dremel?

he said "dvd player for house" aswell.

plus it makes watching dvd's in the car easier.

5. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

You sure its gonna need that big fan on the side? Not as if this is gonna give off much heat!.....

6. purple

purple Minimodder

the only reason i was thinking of the fan is that i have a 120 fan lying around..

the main concern for heat is the harddrive as it doe get quite hot..

the theory is that i put the fan on a reostat and crnak it as low as it will go, so its moving air but v quietly

7. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

I suppose so, a 120mm would shift enough air on 5v to cool the HDD.

8. purple

purple Minimodder

right the case is going to be made of perspex, as that is what i had lying round...

so covered the old B&D workmate in a sheet to make sure i didn't scratch it, mrked out the peices with a stanlry knife then but masking tape around then so as not to scratch the surface when cutting..

[​IMG]

i thought i would try and cut the sides out with a jig saw.. it info on the sheet says use a small toothed blade, so i did..

i also coated the bottom of te jig saw in masking take to reduse the chance of scratches..
    [​IMG]

however all the jig saw did was to MELT a line in the stuff that hardened again be hind the blade..

[​IMG]
    after a lot of expletives it was back to the hand saw...

more updates when i stop swearing...

9. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

that perspex looks around 1/8" thick, if that's the case, you may want to try scoring and snapping it instead of using the jigsaw. When I tried using a jigsaw on thinner perspex I didn't experience the remelting but the vibration cause the plastic to crack.

10. purple

purple Minimodder

i was thinking about snapping it, but if you check the sheet the pieces are not all on strait line so i didn't want to risk that.

since posting the above i have attacked the sheet with a dremel with a drill bit, and using that as a saw.. gives a really nice smooth finish..

3 sheets down.. 6 to go.. then i can start the sanding...

11. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

Yeah, that's another good technique ;)

looking forward to seeing the progress...:rock:

12. dez

dez What's a Dremel?

im thinking of starting a project of somewhat the same type, but what i really want/need to knwo is where you go tthat lcd screen (in canada or us)

dez

13. purple

purple Minimodder

the one that is in the picture i', not actually using any more as teh color balance on it aint all the good.. and it goes a bit green at the edges, but i got it cheap so what do you expect...

the one i'm using came out of the back of an aircraft seat and is really nice image quality..

both of them came off ebay, not going to advertise for him so i wont mention the name..

but if your after screens check out ebay..