1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: Multi Hex (Jobs done, ready to work)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Archer, 11 Jun 2011.

1. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Love the effect you get looking through the res with the grill behind it :).

2. Noob?

Noob? What's a Dremel?

That case is unbelievable, attention to detail is amazing mate!

Builds looking good too! Can't wait to see it finished!

3. Archer

Archer Talga Vassternich - Deserve Victory

Just a couple of teaser pics.... Enjoy! :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looking at the case now I realise I need to do something with the front fans, otherwise all that detail at the front seems to get lost, especially at night. Anyway, thats all for now...

4. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Yes that certainly looks very very cool Archer :D:rock: but arrrrrgh everyone is teasing :lol: p0Pe, see what you started here? a teasing epidemic :D:lol::p.

Awesome night shots though & like the shadows cast from the case, nice effect :).

5. KoSoVaR^

KoSoVaR^ Professional Sleever & Modder

amazing :D! it looks wonderfull!

6. Sarakon

Sarakon The German

looking good :D and indeed some lighting in the front would be nice....
    I think the shadows it will make will be awesome....

7. barfastic

barfastic What's a Dremel?

what size tubing is that?

8. Fuganater

Fuganater What's a Dremel?

looks like 1/2"

9. peteski

peteski long live the pc

looks :jawdrop: cant wait for more pics. keep up the good work :rock: :rock: :rock:

10. Archer

:p Thanks, the shadows definately are a sight to behold

:thumb:

Yip :) Alas, there is zero space for some LEDs up front, so thats why I've got to get new fans. I could plonk some LEDs into the current ones, but I think the solid black blades are going to dull the effect too much

1/2" ID, 3/4" OD

I may have to tag you guys along a bit longer, I'm enjoying my holidays too much :D And after that, back to the US on business again. But I should be returning with a new GPU..... :naughty: Only one guess as to what I'm going to pick!

11. Archer

Thought I'd let you guys know this project is still alive and kicking... :naughty:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:D

12. Furball Zen

Furball Zen Shut up and Mod

Awesome case design :)

13. peteski

peteski long live the pc

14. Archer

Finally, after what felt like forever, the client let me come back home again :D

So here is a little bit that took a long while to do... First things first, remove the horrible stock heatsink

[​IMG]

Then slap on some nickel plated goodness (ditto for the CPU block, swapped ther copper one out)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Followed by leak testing, more leak testing... and then more leak testing... zzzzzz
    One of the pics is a bit shoddy, dont ask me why I thought it was any good. Lets blame it on the jet lag :p And I couldnt fit a straight fitting on the GPU block :wallbash: It needs a spacer, which of course, I dont have :grr: So its got 2 90° fittings for now :sigh:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And then... gah, this project is starting to drag its feet. I dont think it will ever get done! Going to try and buckle down over the next two weeks and start crossing things off the to do list. Lets hope I make some proper headway

15. peteski

peteski long live the pc

good to see you back mate keep up the good work mate and it will get done :rock: :rock: :rock:

16. Archer

Thanks peteski :)

Good news!
    Managed to get myself out of bed early, and do some work :D
    Tidied up all the cables around the motherboard.
    Played around with some lighting ideas around the SSD and behind the reservoir. I was not entirely happy with the way it was, but I think this new solution will be much better. Will need to get some black wires so that I can solder it all up (I only have yellow and green lol).
    Also fixed the LEDs in the CPU block, they looked like they were rusted and so the connections had broken apart. But some new solder and all is well.
    So by my count that leaves 4 more things to wrap up...
    But no pics for now... I think I can motivate myself more by keeping it all back, ready for one big final reveal :naughty: So hopefully in no more than 2 weeks time we'll be all done, finally! :clap::clap::clap:

17. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

That is always good news :hehe: these projects sure don't make themselves, I want powerful telekinesis for some lazy modding for a change. :D:lol:

Sounds & looks like this is close to complete, nice one Archer. :rock::clap:

Currently waiting for a job to be completed so I'm not distracted.

18. Archer

Thanks Waynio, the encouragement is definately helping a lot! :thumb:

The old button bay cover thingamabob. See how horrible those holes were made? Ya, I'm a noob. For the life of me I couldnt get the piece to stop vibrating no matter how much I tightened the vice. The result was horrible hurricane shaped holes, that were too big, especially after I tried rounding the holes more with a file. You couldnt really notice it unless you were close by, but thats simply not good enough.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So take 2.... muuuuch better dont you think? The trick was clamping it down differently and having a backing piece. The problem was that with such thin metal, and such a big drill bit, the forces were too great for it while clamped on the sides. Having a backing piece also help stop the bit from wandering at the tip. Then having clamps on the front side of the cover also helped stopped vibrations. Still need to clean up the edges a bit, but its getting there

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On to the USB ports... some careful Dremel work, and lots and lots of filing gets you (even if I say so myself) a perfect fit. The only thing left to do here is find some M3 hex screws, which seems to be impossible in SA. For now I'm going to leave it with these screws, and when I get some more stuff from MDPC I'll switch em out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thats all for now, time for some BF3, hehe. Check back tomorrow when I've hopefully got everything 100% done!

19. Sarakon

Sarakon The German

Wooot update :D You where quite right in saying that the USB port hole was perfect! and those other holes do look a lot better :p

20. Archer

Ok, final round!

One last thanks to Landmark Computers for their help in getting the hardware inside my rig to be all that I wanted it to be.
    [​IMG]

Before all the rest, want to show that I swapped out those horrible screws for the USB ports. Looks much better :D

[​IMG]

Now for that photo flood everyone is waiting for... Excuse my poor photography in some places, I still have a lot to learn.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Unintended hex goodness from the lights on the CPU
    [​IMG]

Top hexes with the white LEDs off...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And with that, I'm all done :D Its been a loooong road, but I've had lots of help, and it was most certainly well worth it. Now to finish up the details on my next project (this modding bug bites hard!)..... :D

Omoobhs and The boy 4rm oz like this.