1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors project muppet - mk1 golf (twin 40 video up now)

Discussion in 'General' started by grungedead, 17 Mar 2008.

1. grungedead

grungedead Minimodder

original owners ad :-

golf n,1980,1.1,its original rare pastel green,only done about 60000 original miles,plenty of bills,original books and wallet,absolutly solid throughout due to bieng undersealed from new,no rot anywhere which as you all know is very rare on a series1,i brought this as a project which ive completed apart from the manifold,i sold the weber carb sourced a standard carb and just need the manifold to be up and running.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

few parts ive sourced for the car

wee rabbit for the right hand side on the back

[​IMG]

rabbit badge grille

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

vw script badge

[​IMG]

sourced a weber off a friend in manc 34 ICH 2 pin woohoo

VW Pierburg Application List

Vehicle / Engine Code / Year / OEM Carburettor / Weber

Volkswagen Golf & Van /1.1/ GG / 81-83 / Pierburg (Solex) 31 PIC-7 / 34 ICH

info found from this club-gti article about VW recommended weber applications

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/archive/index.php?t-441.html

[​IMG]

also got a replacement GG carb en route just so i can get her up and running asap for the mot

got a guy coming on saturday picking up a mother load of parts then hopefully if we have enough time on sunday we can collect it, if not it shall have to wait till the following weekend grrr :-(

also got a few more parts tucked away lol

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 8 May 2008
  2. grungedead

grungedead Minimodder

cheers for all the positive comments above fellas :)

been stripping the golf in the time being, heres some pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

hopefully arranging collection for project muppet this weekend but im struggling to get hold of a trailer in the walsall area as a friend who lives locally to their has offered to drive it up to manchester for free!

just off out to whip the short shift kit and front arb off, the water inside the car was from a leaky heater matrix, which sods law dictated i only changed six months ago. morale there is, if it aint broke dont fix it.

Does anyone know if the hubs are the same for small block mk1s, ie can i use my gti hubs and wishbones on project muppet, it means i can just take the complete coilover strut/hub/brakes and wishbone off in one go for swapping over :-D

also after a spare rear axle to get shot blasted and powdercoated, want to build it up with mk4 rear discs and a proportion valve.

got some stuff to get shot off here if anyones interested

http://clubgti.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=1438553#post1438553

3. grungedead

grungedead Minimodder

woke up with an absolutely banging head today after going out on a **** up with three canadian lassies last night, however i managed to actually wake up at a sensible time and have a well productive day

first up, removing the rear coilies and wheels off the red golf

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

half arsed cleaning attempt :p
    [​IMG]

project muppet landed on me doors so i gutted the inside as it was choc-full of parts.

look at me spare room now :lol:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

will sift through it tonight or tomorrow and do an inventory and picture everything seperatley

project muppet was looking a lil worse for wear after sitting in a garage for the last year or so, so a good wash and wax was desperatly needed, beena also got her first wash in about 3 months :lol: no waxing tho, will wax it tomorrow, then her car cover comes monday so she can hibernate till the summer.

anyway some pics of the cleaned muppet

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

pics of the classics, im after 14x7 or 8s if anyones up for a swap + cash either way. will sell outright if anyones after em

195/45/13s each tire be a diff make yoko a539, conti, fulda and assuro, all got plenty of meat.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

picked up a new steering wheel and boss today for 35 nicker, already had a boss in the muppet so wheels got swapped over.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Whipped the classics off the front to nosey as the brakes and suspension

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stuck the lorbers on the front for the time being until i start/finish swapping the coilies tomorrow,

[​IMG]

also fitted the debadged grille with the rabbit badge that came in ze post

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and one of the carbless engine bay, i shall be spending tomorrow cleaning it up with some degunk if i can find it.

[​IMG]

well thats all for now cos im knackered and need to grab dinner mmm

4. grungedead

grungedead Minimodder

[quote name='PearlMk1' post='1201666' date='Mar 15 2008, 12:08 PM']Do you have the carpeted floor from the red Mk1 still?[/quote]

yep,

woke up late today, walshie dropped by to get chop happy on the nova loons springs.

anyway fitted the fks onto the rear of muppet and the jamex springs/shocks onto beena.

rear shocks coming off
    [​IMG]

coilies on rear
    [​IMG]

whipped front hub assembly, coilover strut and 256mm G60s off beena

[​IMG]

whipped the same off the muppet

[​IMG]

but was faced with a gayored outer cv, (this is why it was a pain to push the car onto the drive)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

so whipped off the driveshaft,

[​IMG]

got a couple in the house so will measure them up later tonight, hopefully one will be reet! gotta clean up the two drivers side hub assemblies and spin the adjuster rings down a bit, then tomorrow can finish swapping over the coilies/brakes.

probably wont bother bleeding the brakes just yet, as i may be fitting a 22mm mc and servo, might need to fit a gti brake linkage bar.

loads more jobs to do but plenty of time. woo

good news, found a matching driveshaft in me batcave

[​IMG]

sorted thru all the stuff i got with the car. give us a shout if anyone wants anything

Mk1 Golfs Grills Complete x 2
    Mountney 340mm Steering Wheel
    Mk1 Golf Boss
    Wolfsburg Wheel
    288mm 5x100 VR6 Brakes
    Mk1 Parcel Shelf Black
    Mk2 Parcel Shelf Brown
    Retro Radios x 2
    Mk1 Master Cylinder
    Mk3 Gti Smoked NSR Light
    Mk2 GTI Smoked NSR Light
    Momo Gearknob
    Exhaust Midbox - unknown car
    variour lower undertrays x 10
    wiper stalks x 2
    indicator stalks x 2
    black mk1 sill trims x 2
    black mk1 side trims long x 2
    black mk1 side trims medium x 1
    black mk1 side trims small x 2
    Steelie Centres x 3
    Unknown Centre Caps Set of 4
    Beetle Eyelids?
    Various badges
    CL Arch Spats

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[quote name='walshc' date='Saturday 15th March 2008 - 8:41pm' post='969938']
    Took scampi to Yousafs today to meet the muppet (which looks even better in the flesh, colour is soooo cool :cool: ) and to set the grinder on the rear springs :badgrin:

Nice new spring, nothing wrong with it, except for being too big :-( :lol:
    [​IMG]

Off with its head :badgrin:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The result :cool:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm still not happy with it :cry: :lol: going to cut a little more off tomorrow, just seeing if they settle a little tonight. The ride is really bumpy now :lol: :cool:
    [/quote]

5. grungedead

grungedead Minimodder

fitted new driveshaft and swapped over all the suspension and brakes, just got a wheel to stick on beena tomorrow but couldnt be arsed as we had to mooch over to kfc and get some grub

anyway some piccies

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and a couple of walshie in action saying bye bye to some helper springs

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[quote name='walshc' date='Sunday 16th March 2008 - 11:23pm' post='971311']
    Few pics i took of the muppet :cool:
    Cocking a leg or 2 :unibrow:
    [​IMG]

Looking good on black wheels
    [​IMG]

Theres a Yousaf under there, getting fruity again :badgrin:
    [​IMG]

It looks mint in the dark, the paint kind of glows, i tried to capture it here, but i failed :cry: :lol:
    [​IMG]
    [/quote]

6. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

choping springs is not a good idea. The camper seems off on the golf as well. Could put stress on the cvt joints and bearings and cause uneven tire wear.

Just curious, why did you strip the red golf?

7. grungedead

grungedead Minimodder

hahaha walsh has survived a shark attack so chopped springs dont scare him. The vauxhalls have a mad suspension setup where teh spring at the rear is under the beam and the shock is seperate. with the wheels jacked up off the floor, you cant move teh spring without undoing the strut from the beam, so we reckon its pretty safe. the cars not a road screamer anyway just a cruiser, albeit bouncey cruiser :D

The camber probably is off on the golf, the tracking will have been set for the 13x7s and i just swapped the complete struts over without undoing any on the camber bolts from when they were previously setup, however before the car goes in for an mot ill need to take it to the tyre garage for tracking and camber alingment.

stripped the red golf cos i got bored, wanted a new project and i couldnt afford tax and insurance when it was up for renewal

8. PHPASP

PHPASP I LIKE TO CODE IT CODE IT I LIKE TO

What happened to your friends leg? Looks like it hurt!

9. grungedead

grungedead Minimodder

shark attack fella.

didnt do much today get wasted with mates and play halo, but got a chance to whore some pics, gave some bits a quick clean with some degunk, will attack some more tomorrow if i can be arsed woopagio

coilies need to go alot lower on the back and a bit on the front

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and some of the cleaning

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

lazy day really but still :D, watching the f1 now proper comedy two crashes and some geezer gettin mangled in a rear wing lol

10. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

My sister had one of these cars, I couldnt drive it cause Im a big fat American and I was to tall and wide to move my legs around. It was the smallest car I've ever been in, and I didnt feel safe in anyway.

Glad your enjoying it though! :)

11. Poisonous

Poisonous Incestuious

outlawaol, try a smartcar, or an old fiat panda..

[​IMG] [​IMG]

12. outlawaol

See, I think those cars have ergonomics. So a bigger person can still drive them. The rabbits had.... an idea for a small car, and ran with it! :D

13. grungedead

grungedead Minimodder

hahahahahha im skinny as anything so the only thing that annoys me is peoples knees in the way of me shifting gear, quick slap sorts them out tho!

found out today the engine is a JB which is a 1.5 70bhp lump.

have sourced a weber 32/36 DTML, k&n filter and EZ inlet manifold to run a 4 pin carb. If the weber turns out to be too expensive i have a pooberg 2e2 which i can put on...

although looking at the current inlet manifold it was made by satan himself with the two most inaccessible bolts holding it to the head.....

anyway got the rear interior fitted today and some of the speaker wiring laid down, also fitted the harness pre-tensioners, still got to wire them up, but ive got a 4 way power distribution block for the stereo,central locking,amp etc.

anyway some pics of the interiay

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

undecided as to cover the suspension turrents in carpet or leave them green, ill also be getting a rear strut brace to ideas as to colour code it or paint it black please?!

could even go white to match the wheels when they are painted and the white headlining (which is already fitted)

also turns out the engine mount is that of the large block engine so my gti engine will drop straight in, the 5 speed box will need a small bit of modifying to fit along with the complete gti gear linkages, however ive got a full missinglinks short shift kit for that job :)

on a trip to derby today or tomorrow to see chaz and pick up some 14 inch mini g60 steels, crystal cross-hairs and some m3 rear lights (not for the muppet, for beena, but mainly to sell, swapping std rears for ebaylicious goodies :p )

14. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

A chopped spring done wrong, is dangerous and ruins the ride. I should know, my current Golf came with all four like that.

Done right, and not by too much, and there's nowt wrong with doing it. Of course it depends on how it's done.

I've seen this project on Ed38 (I think?) already - great colour, with loads of potential.

15. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x What's a Dremel?

Nice motors love em, looks like you got some good ideas.

16. Freedom

Freedom Minimodder

Correct me if I'am wronging but the most dangerous part of cut springs has nothing to do with how it sits in its holders but way that cutting them creates heat that changes the properties of the steel making it more brittle and liable to crack.

17. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Like I say, it depends how it's done. There's loads of stuff out there on what not to do, or do when chopping 'em. Like you say, it's partly down to the heat and the method of cutting them up, but it's also about being sensible in terms of how much to cut off in the first place. In the case of the ones on my Golf, the previous owner had dropped the car by about 60-70mm by chopping up OEM springs - it made the car lurch and bounce in the most pant-shatting manner ever. Where there are kits/spring sets available, I'd personally not be cool with chopping, but on older cars where those things simply don't exist so theres not much of a choice. Loads of retro car enthusiasts do it without any problems.

18. Clocked

Clocked Yar! It be drivin' me nuts...

sure it wasn't the baby brother? - used to have this till I moved for college(1 1/2 yrs ago), was a bargain in mint(ish) condition with a genuine 25,000 miles on it (till i racked it up to 32k in one year) and one careful lady owner with FSH... I hated seeing it go. at 6 foot 3 I never had any issues with space or size but then I'm a skinny runt

to the OP - Me want your golfs :naughty: not usually a fan of green but i like the green black combo you got going :)

19. outlawaol

No, it was the rabbit. She dosnt have it anymore, thank goodness. The thing is a death trap around here (country, deer, sasquatch etc.)

:)

20. grungedead

grungedead Minimodder

have you got any pics? please get her to drag some up and tell her to buy it back :D hopefully its a swallowtail and she should totally donate it to the cause (the cause being me :p), she can include herself too, im not fussy :D

aye chopped springs on standard shocks will kill them in no time, the chap was right about the properties of the metal being changed by the heating during the cutting process, but craig laughs in the fear of death so he aint bothered, i wont rock chopped springs which is why i've got coilovers.

there is plenty of choice out there, he just wants his car proper low, hes already got coilies on the loon haha, ill dig up a pic of his beige mk2 loon which sits on the floor

cheers fella, my ideas arent anything that havent been done before but im not out to set any trends or whatever, im just building a car for me, i dont know that much about cars still and its all just a learning process like it was when i was messing about with computers, with water cooling and phase change units

aye you have seen it on e38, are you mookboy on there? cheers about the colour, found out its not original as i had the carpets out and found some patches that need welding but that be nowt im worried about. i do love the colour tho, proper looks neon in the dark but my cameras on my phone so cannae pick it up

thanks dude, your polo was class, old breddies rock, they live forever too, take a fair beating and yuo can load plenty of stuff in the back. love my polos especially the g40 and mk1s cos im an old skooler at heart but you can beat wishbone suspension haha

got a wee update to do will add it in a mo :)

Tags: