1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: My Room and Everything in it [UPDATED: JAN 5]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by NzC, 6 Aug 2004.

1. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

if youread back his parents buy alot of it

2. NzC

NzC What's a Dremel?

I have done a few webdesign jobs and I work at the science center. A lot of the stuff I have gotten for free from people who are just gonna throw it away also. My parents buy me some stuff, but always for x-mas or my b-day. Right now though most of the new stuff is still from christmas and birthday money. Most of my relatives just give me money or Best Buy cards, so thats how I can afford the stuff.

Nick

3. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

cool. Well i really like your room
    do you ever say you were moving

4. fev

fev Industry Fallout

nice to see a lovely HP Photosmart 7150 lurking in there. A quality printer for the price.

Nice room btw, i need to sort mine out. May leave it till uni though to make my room mine for 4 years.

5. VirtualJedi

VirtualJedi What's a Dremel?

Ever think about just throwing away your crap instead of buying crap to help organize the overflowed crap-pile that your organizing?

Food for thought. :hehe:

Last edited: 5 Feb 2005
  6. Halgy3000

Halgy3000 Minimodder

Hey, computer stuff isn't crap! As soon as you throw somthing away, you're gunna need it anyhow.

PEACE

7. Scorpsel

Scorpsel Imaginary Time

Nice lighting scheme.. nice room :)
    Sorry if I missed it, but are there any other 'big' things you're planning to do? It looks pretty much finished to me :)

Hmm.. how about hanging something (curtain-ish) from your desk, to hide the storage space behind it? Not too difficult to make (i could easily explain how), and it would increase the 'neatness'.. Just an idea :)

(Re: bloo thing in av:)
    hey, it looks pretty simple.. a stack of plexi with a CCFL: mod it! :dremel:

8. NzC

NzC What's a Dremel?

Hey guys. I have been very busy lately and have had very little time to work on anything. I have some new fun parts that I have come up with for my room.

- A digital picture frame
    - A weather screen
    - A PC stats screen (showing multiply PCs)
    - A door to cover all my modding crap
    - A VU meter :naughty:

I am going to be getting two OLD laptops (FREE :D ), but they should be sufficient for running the weather and statistics screens (I will probably be programing these: JAVA). My older laptop (now) is going to turn into the picture frame (thanks to those who are running this as a log for the idea). The door will be on my shelves so that you cant see my crap. I will be making these.

The VU meter....I was about to fall asleep and the thing in my avatar was on and I was listening to music...I think you get the idea! I want to make the different layers light up with the music. You know that would look sweet.
    I might also be getting a rack and some old rackmount stuff. Although the rackmout stuff is old, cases are always useful. Adding sliding shelves for my MoBoS in my cases would be nice also. I have found some Ikea furniture that I might get too. I would also like to design some cool lighting accents for my room, but we will see what happens.

Update with pics soon!!

Peace,
    Nick

9. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

Nice one. Looking forward to updates and pics :)

10. ChorijaN

ChorijaN What's a Dremel?

great!
    looking forward to this :D

11. calking13

calking13 What's a Dremel?

Lucky ******* jk no offense.

If it wasnt for me having twin siblings sleeping in the same room (or in the house) I could probably do something like that or have all those gadgets or have a nice girlfriend. Oh well :sigh:

Anyway this is great keep it up!

12. Dr-Neon

Dr-Neon What's a Dremel?

man, this project deserfs 4-5 stars, good work

keep up dude

13. NzC

NzC What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the comments guys!!

I am back with an update, sorry it took so long. My girlfriend has mono and I am sick (was worse) and I hope I dont have it (chance of not having it = .0001%), and some other family matters have delayed me also.

I got one of the laptops and it is dead. I will try to revive it, but I think it is really dead...The other one, however, I may be getting soon. I also just got more free hardware: 2.6ghz P4, 512MB DDR3200, 120GB SATA Seagate, GeForce 4 something, DVD-ROM, DVD-RW. Yes free....here is the story. A family friend's computer (DELL) died and he got a new one (DELL...) before I could convince him to use some old parts to have me build a new one, but he needed a few files so he asked me to get them off of his HDD. I did and then he said "take the hardware; I don't need it." So thats cool. Today I rebuilt my main PC (RAID with my now 2 120gb drives, and added the DVD-ROM--had a burner). Later I will upgrade my secondary one. Well anyways on with the pics....mostly organization/decoration).

[​IMG]
    This is my pile of hardware that I still havent used. Some tiny things (usb ports, ETC) will be added to my PC boxes for convinience);

[​IMG]
    I installed these dimmers by my bed. The left one controls the lights on either side of my bed and the other controlls an accent lamp that you will see in a sec.

[​IMG]
    This is my bedside table and another shelve for shoes, or whatever, plus, to organize my life, I put stuff on top of it that goes downstairs or with me.

[​IMG]
    Here is a picture of my clean desk. On the wall are the baskets I installed a while back. The top one is my out basket and the bottom one is my in basket (mostly for mail).

[​IMG]
    Here is the accent lamp I was talking about. It looks cooler in real life, the picture washes is out.

[​IMG]
    Here is the actual unit.

[​IMG]
    THis is another accent lamp, but red. You may have already seen this. You can also see the much needed scribble pad that I added to my desk.

I also got a filing cabinet for under my desk (the ikea thing was too small and too low). I forgot to take a picture though...I promise I will take one next time.

One thing I decided was to scrap the panel that controlls the PCs, I was each PC independent and portable if needed. This means the fans are going to be powered internally, and speed set permanantly, but I dont mind the noise. Actually my room seems wierd without it. I will also be internalizing the USB port, and switches, but this stuff will have to wait until the summer.

Thats all for today.

Peace,
    Nick

14. MobileNeophyte

MobileNeophyte What's a Dremel?

Hey nick, im bored and do noting but lurk here and stuff..
    That vid card is a dell version GF4 MX440 AGP8x 64mb, im guessing it came from a 4x00 dell Dimension...gf has 1...
    ~Mobile

EDIT: Now with new Sig =D

Last edited: 22 Mar 2005
  15. RaW WontoN

RaW WontoN What's a Dremel?

That's the same graphics card that I ripped out of my dell and replaced with a 6600GT. The MX440 was a bad card when it came out (4 years ago?) and Dell was still putting them in their machines until last year. If you were considering putting that in one of your computers, I wouldn't; rather, fork over $100 for something 10x better, unless the only game you play is Counter-Strike.

Too bad we don't have Ikeas in north Texas :sigh:

16. waitandbleed

waitandbleed What's a Dremel?

I going to soon be following you. I'm redoing my room and I'm getting 2 new computers. One will be a Powerbook 15.2" 1.67ghz and then I'm build another computer strictly for gaming then I'm turning my current one into a HTPC. Also gettin rid of my bed, desk, tv stand and the actual tv. Then replacing it with a custom desk (I'm making) and I'm getting a Futon. So everyone look for a post with my name in about 6 months or so (so I can get enough $$$) :rock: Also room looks sick Nice Job! :jawdrop:

17. NzC

NzC What's a Dremel?

Hey everyone, its time for a small update! Basically everything that is out in my room is clean and organized...even my modding bench... :jawdrop:

[​IMG]
    So basically I went to Sams Club and bought myself 2 easter presents. The first was a set of a bunch of cables and they were all a total of $40. (all 6ft long)

[​IMG]
    I also bought a set of magneting tool racks (3) and parts bowls (2) which all together was only $10. These are what is making this so neat.

[​IMG]
    Here is the bench opened. I also ran an ethernet cable from my router over to here in case I need network for something.

[​IMG]
    Last pic for today. A close up that allows you to see a bowl and tool rack. You can also see the test PSU I have wired here.

Next 2 projects: organize my closets, and fix up the insides of my cases.

Peace,
    Nick

18. dubya01

dubya01 What's a Dremel?

woot I like the mod bench :)

19. NzC

NzC What's a Dremel?

Another Update!

small tho....

I have my closets organized!

[​IMG]
    One closet...

[​IMG]
    ..two closet.

[​IMG]
    I also found these things and thought they would be useful. I don't know what I will keep here yet, but we shall see...

Now I though all of you computer geeks might like some pictures of the systems where I work (The Science Center).

[​IMG]
    This is the rack that I set up today. (For a show control system called SPICE ) There is a keyboard rack coming in this week for the mouse and KB. This is just a baby system nothing like what we have in the bigger theatre which has 2 racks like this and a half size one, plus 2 large desks for the controls...

[​IMG]
    This is just a taste of the wiring for the small system...ya just image how much there is for the big one.......

I will take pictures next week of the big system...I think some of you may enjoy it.

Oh, does anyone know anyone who would sponsor me one of the HSPC Test Station. I was thinking of building it into my ikea boxes as a framework.

Peace,
    Nick

20. NzC

NzC What's a Dremel?

Hey guys! Long time no update, I know. I have gotten some free stuff so I have changed some stuff up!! Check it out.

[​IMG]
    This is my room now. Its a mess, but I have been cleaning and finalizing the new stuff.

[​IMG]
    Another another angle.

[​IMG]
    This is one of the free PCs. Its running smoothwall. I love it.

[​IMG]
    This is the second free PC that I got. Its running Fedora Core 3 along with some server moduels.

[​IMG]
    That is some of the stuff where I work. I though some of you would like to see the REAL control room. Go HERE to see more pics of all of the stuff we have.

I also have plans on redoing my ikea boxes. I am going to mount the mobo on the left side of it and have no shelf. I think that this will free up space and allow it to be much more accessible and useable. I will be building a second left wall and bottom to mount the stuff on and it will slide out. More on that soon. Maybe even pics by next week. I am getting paid saturday :D :dremel:

Peace, Nick.