1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

..::]Project name :(dellt0r)[::..

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by drax, 1 Jun 2003.

1. drax

drax What's a Dremel?

well, well well, im back, not with an idea this time, but with a pretty sturdy idea for my boring old case...(note.. its not really that old!)

Anyway , this little baby is a midi, tiny bitsie thing but has got sum power behind it,

if anyone wants to know, ..or just reading, the hardware details are as ;-

;- Pentium 4 2.0GHz processor,
    ;- 256DDR ram, the standard type :(,
    ;- DVD/CRW combo drive,
    ;- 2 fans! ...thats it, u mite be wondering how a p4 can survive with only a extractor fan and a PSU fan, but im telling you it can be done!...

- My plans are as follows,

;- Slap in a new mobo, the one which came with it doesnt have a AGP slot! :eeek: , so this is a must to get this into a design and testing system.

;- Grab a radeon saphire 9100 card from somewhere,

;- And cool this be--atch down, add about 2 more extractor fans, and im thinking of another 4 fans on the front!
    - fans on side, x2 Underneath a rather smallish window
    - 1 on the front hidden behind the bevel, with a small hole and slits to let a few rays of light few for eye candy obviouisly,

looking into this its gonna need sum :dremel: and a little hot glue, but im sure it will work,

;- Top window for a HDD, im not gonna be altering any lights on the hdd, as this seems to just result in failiure of them, and i really dont wanna follow a trend of ruining high density hdds, this will have a small green, or purple cathode runing flush with the perspex, or just below to create a nice glow over the disk its self. Simple but effective.

;- as im told the greenduct is beggin for a UV design on it, so wen off it looks plain green, wen on with UVness lights up a design or writting...you'll understand wen u see the pics..!

Now for you all to see wat im talking about...

This is the boring case as it stands
    [​IMG]

A back and a side shot...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

lets have a look at some ideas im going for on the front for the fan,

[​IMG]

-------------------------------------

well .."how long is this fecking post!!" almost over! lol
    --
    this is a shot of the inside as u can all see, its pretty tight in there, and rather boring its also got a nice duct from the CPU to the extractor fan on the case, not much room..but enuf! :cooldude:

[​IMG]

...right, and now ive started to pull this thing apart to have a dig at what i can do to this little baby! ...

[​IMG]

..some bits i l33ched off the case...
    [​IMG]

these are the leds from the front of the case, look pretty neat but i want brighter ones, :wallbash: heh, ..sorry its abit blurry ..was out of focus

[​IMG]

..now.. this is felt was rather, clever of tiny, they seem to use light reflection to change where the leds go, and not to loose any light!, damn them i think it also refrains most of the light being so bright tho, we'll see tho wont we...notice my trusty layx0r pen! :thumb:

[​IMG]

..well thats it for now, have a gander i will be posting updates, reguarly , any ideas will be appreciated, ...ps im also thinking about adding a LCD on sumwhere! if not a 15" one on the mobo side of the case that folds out ;)...but ill need to find an old lappy..hmm..ill ask andy..

a few designs we've been comtemplating..not the final idea but something along the lines for u to all note..

[​IMG]

peace out :|

:idea:

2. zackerouac

zackerouac bring it

subscribed. cant wait to see what you do with it. i have a similar case, but with the big dell cirsle on the side. kewl :rock:

3. stevehp

stevehp What's a Dremel?

I might be wrong, but don't Dell's have proprietary psu's the ATX plug has it's wiring moved around so if plugged in a non dell psu into a Dell mobo it would fry one or both components the same way when you buy a non dell mobo and use the dell psu. Hope you warranty is up because after you do all this awesome stuff to you won't have one.

4. drax

drax What's a Dremel?

hmmm, thanks for the advice,

i'm not sure to be honist, but ill have a check on the wiring. :baby:

if worst comes to worst then i shall change the PSU, it probably wont have enuf power out put on the original anyway!

thanks

Thanks, im glad i didnt end up with one of them or it mite look a bit odd where i cut a window in it!!

5. bard

bard Modding isn't what it used to be

Just check the wiring, and if it's different from normal ATX, it's easy to move pins. Just use a nail or needle to push in the locking pins.

6. DeLorean5000

DeLorean5000 What's a Dremel?

I dont think that they are proprietary any more... cause to many ppl were B******* about them:D

7. drax

drax What's a Dremel?

well, il have a check anyways!

thanks, ..im coming up with new ideas every second for this mod, its gonna be quite extreme :) im thinking of replacing the dvd drive with a slot drive, but im not sure how much these retail at in uk? ill check soon, hmmmmmm im also flicking a pilot switch onto the front [ something ive been wanting to do since i started messing about with pcs :p!

8. drax

drax What's a Dremel?

oooh er ...£41 over here, hmm but u can mount them vertically!

the choices to be made, ..i think im gonna go for it! ...green illumination in it thanks to zipwizard \o/!

i think so :rock:

9. Phat Ass

Phat Ass What's a Dremel?

looking good so far, did you do much design for yours before you actually started this thread? i'm hopefully starting a log tomorrow as ive been doing research for about 2-3 weeks and only started yesterday on seeing what i can do with the case (i redesigned again 2 days ago).

sick of the sight of Dell cases, have them in college, anything done to them is a good thing.

10. drax

drax What's a Dremel?

Yeh, ive been meaning to do something to this thing for so long, and have been collecting ideas on it and things that i didnt get to do on my previous pc im hoping to do with this one, :)

hmm if uve redesigned, il have to see wat ur doing :p

yeh dell are pretty dull, cant wait to spruce up the moose :clap:

i still need to get my mits on a :dremel:

11. drax

drax What's a Dremel?

okay guys! im stuck on deciding the colour scheme!

Green with Uv

Green

or

Uv

:worried:

I dont no what to have!! what you rekon, im really partial to uv lights :)

as u can see from sum photos i have from another pc i have

12. [twig]clown

[twig]clown What's a Dremel?

Normal cathodes usually make the UV very light and over power it, if you really wanted UV then just use UV cathodes, and maybe use green LED fans (me hates these as they come as really light green, i like darker greens, same with red led fans, they look nearly pink :p )

-cLoWn

13. drax

drax What's a Dremel?

aiiiiii, that is true but the bright green would be pretty good with the whole atmosphere of the box its self, maybe a Uv cathode in there for sum little uv etchins ,

and maybe replace the leds with UV, hmmmmm wat u rekon?

n i i cant decide on the multiple fans on the front of sumthing else.....wat u rekon! :S

14. [twig]clown

UV cathodes, and green LED fans could look good. Random UV leds is good :lol:

The front of the case is curved, har surface to work on, or even to vent inwants to a flat surface, maybe you should take a page from RAMeLaiR's book (linkie ) and make your own front, so that it isnt curvy, then you can build in two fans.

-cLoWn

15. Mhiran

Mhiran What's a Dremel?

"radeon saphire 9100 card"

Is that a PCI graphics card?
    Dell PCs don't have an AGP slot which is the most annoying thing ever.

16. drax

drax What's a Dremel?

No it is a AGP card actually, but i am replacing the mobo,

Stupid dell, why miss out such a gr8 feature :mad:!!

17. Snitch

Snitch Supremodder

Why buy dell?

18. [twig]clown

Was a cheap way to get a full system with a brand new (at the time) P4 2.4Ghz CPU, as he needed an upgrade. Just to save Drax replying as i know he is busy playing the new DOD :p :p

-cLoWn