1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Necronomicon

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ralph.pickering, 10 Aug 2005.

1. ralph.pickering

ralph.pickering What's a Dremel?

I've been wandering the hallowed halls of bit-tech for some months now; a wretched restless spirit whose mad chattering has been heard in numerous threads but who now has found a home in his own project log.

Whatever.

This is my first mod, and this is the sacrificial lamb.
    [​IMG]

2. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

LOL, nice comment on the project mate. Nearly made me piss my pants :D

Like the case a lot, I can see your going to be H2Oing it aren't you :)
    What's the system you're running in it?

3. ralph.pickering

Rip out the drive bays (and keep them for later, or perhaps another project):
    [​IMG]
    Sorry for the crap photography :)

A little dremel work (which killed my fake dremel, hehe)
    [​IMG]

Which was just the excuse I needed to buy this:
    [​IMG]
    I ♥ Ebay!

Last edited: 10 Aug 2005
  4. ralph.pickering

Blimey, that was quick! And yes - liquid shall flow through its veins at some point in the near future. It's currently a dual Xeon 2.8GHz, but I'm hoping to squeeze a little more out of it with watercooling.

5. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

This should be good, I love it when people watercool Lian-Li cases. The two just seem to go together. I'm looking forward to the finished result :D

Subscribed :thumb:

6. CaPs_On

CaPs_On What's a Dremel?

Damn looks nice. Dual xeons, wasnt that a bit expensive :D

Subscribed.

7. ralph.pickering

Well the processors and motherboard were reasonable, I guess around £450 all in. But then I discovered my power supply wouldn't cut it - it needed 550W minimum and an 8 pin EPS12V connector. So I ended up getting a OCZ Powerstream 600. And new RAM as my old board used PC133 DIMMs, so it has added up to a bit more than I initially intended.

But at least I can now edit my digicam videos without having to wait 5 minutes for each change. Or I could before it all got disassembled.

8. ralph.pickering

A small update as I'm unfortunately a little snowed under by work this week. Bought some push-fit elbows and tees to join a couple of 120mm Wet and Chilly Chips radiators. Sadly the company has now stopped trading - their kit seems to be quite good.

OK, so it's not pretty, but it's secure and it will be hidden from view for the most part.
    [​IMG]

Dremeled out the fittings on the inlet / outlet
    [​IMG]

And I made a temporary mounting for the pump from some packing foam - I'll work out something permanent before the WC is properly installed.
    [​IMG]

9. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Woah, I hope this one will look as good it's contents look...

But I'm concerned if it's good thing to put those rads so closely? Dunno if fan will push air throught two of them...

And other thing, how much did you pay for all that dremel-stuff? Everything with "dremel"-label costs just ridiculously in here :(

10. ralph.pickering

I did think about the airflow, but I'll have to risk it as space is at a bit of a premium in the V1000 as this test fit shows:
    [​IMG]

If it's a problem, I'll just get a better fan :) no space for two.

And the Dremel came to about 180EUR from some guy in Germany (via Ebay), which wasn't too bad as it had never been used. It's soooo much better than my previous cheapo dremel-clone.

11. quadmodz

quadmodz What's a Dremel?

:jawdrop: Im looking forward in it.

12. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

OK now I see your fan-rad-problem..

That's quite nice toolset for 180EUR :eek: Sounds still much as my clone costed 20EUR w/ flexshaft, but it isn't that much from the real thing with all those accessories :) I'm just poor student :D

Keep modding!

13. simosaurus

simosaurus What's a Dremel?

definitely an interesting rad setup, will it actually provide much of performance increase? considering one will be receiving warm air from the first.

14. Big SturL

Big SturL What's a Dremel?

I suspect the case of being less sturdy when you remove all the walls in the lower section. My suspicion was indeed right, right?

15. ralph.pickering

Wait till you see what I remove next!! :D

16. ralph.pickering

You don't see too many people doing this to a brand new Lian Li...

Am I brave, or just plain crazy?
    [​IMG]

Muahahahahaaaa!!!!

17. Bluefan

Bluefan test 123

hmm, i guess the last, unless you've planned it in :cooldude: :thumb:
    Makes me curious of what you're plans are...

(btw: you're just "demolishing" a case that worth quite my whole mod :eeek: :waah: )
    :hehe: :hehe:

18. ralph.pickering

Bit of a slow weekend for modding. But after one failed attempt, I managed to get a piece of acrylic bent to match the aluminium peice I removed on Thursday. A bit of dremelling and sanding to fit and viola!

[​IMG]

Bit of work still needed to get it perfect, and I've only just ordered the socket-head M3 bolts needed to hold it in place, but hopefully it should be done this week. It's still covered in masking tape, so that's why it's not clear in the picture (in case anyone is wondering)

I came across this pic on the net a while back, and I'm thinking something similar might look quite good as a paintjob on necronomicon
    [​IMG]
    But I'll probably have to save up a bit because paint like that doesn't come cheap.

19. kaotic504

kaotic504 What's a Dremel?

man, i used to have a Digital Dremel till someone stole it out of my garage! i loved that thing. oh well, keep up the great work!

20. ralph.pickering

Well I haven't been entirely idle, but I had misplaced the USB cable for my digital camera, hence the lack of updates. But now that I've found it, I wish I hadn't. My pictures are cr*p!

First off, let me introduce Tiku, the modding cat. I don't have a cat of my own, so I borrowed a friend's one, but this is all I could get it to do - I think it's broken.
    [​IMG]
    B*gger all use for modding, so I returned it...

Got my nuts and bolts from modelfixings.co.uk
    [​IMG]

Polished up the White Water blocks - I didn't care for the black too much. But I left it anodised on the inside surfaces to prevent corrosion. Sorry for the blurred photo - it looks better in the flesh - it's not a deliberate use of soft focus to hide imperfections (or maybe it is...)
    [​IMG]

Made an acrylic panel to replace the aluminium one I removed earlier. Oh, I already showed you that... but here it is without the masking tape, and with a bit at the end so that it can bolt onto the case instead of just resting on the PSU. I embedded the nuts in the acrylic with cyanocylate adhesive.
    [​IMG]

I also made a pump mounting out of acrylic, but I don't have a good photo of that - I'll try get one when I get home from work.