1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project Nehalem February 17th

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by razerz, 17 Feb 2010.

1. razerz

razerz What's a Dremel?

This is my first ever project log here (and anywhere) so bear with me as I get all the details worked out :)
    The background for this build is that my girlfriend got some new computer parts (Core i3, new motherboard and 6GB of RAM. Up from an Athlon X2 and 3GB of RAM.), and I wanted to try to build something out of an old case donated from my grandmas old computer (which in turn is even older, Pentium 3 and a whopping 256MB of RAM!)

What we (she) wanted most of all is a quiet computer, and not wanting to watercool the case because of the added complexity, we settled for a big 140mm fan in the front to suck fresh air over the components.

This in turn meant that the case needed to be modded :dremel:

So I went into Sketchup to create a very basic concept of it, the fruits of my labor can be seen here:
    [​IMG]
    Yeah. Crappy I know, but it's just an sketch, what I wanted to visualize was the placement of the components.

Next was to disassemble the old case:
    [​IMG]

Which had a pretty nasty PSU inside...
    [​IMG]

Almost there:
    [​IMG]

And clean:
    [​IMG]

Next was to cut out the plexi that will form the new front, so out comes the BIG Dremel, aka circular saw:
    [​IMG]

And after cutting:
    [​IMG]
    The smell of the plexi was rather horrible, as was the sound, even trough the hearing protection...

Next I wanted to practice to bend plexi, so out came a small scrap piece, which was clamped securely:
    [​IMG]

And after some processing with a heatgun:
    [​IMG]
    Not perfect, but it was a test piece, and even so the final piece will be sanded and spackled, before painting.

Next, clamping the real piece:
    [​IMG]

And some heatgun lovin':
    [​IMG]

Almost 90 degrees:
    [​IMG]

And how it will sit on the case:
    [​IMG]
    The reason for the HDD and DVD to stick forward like that is that the RAM bumps into the HDD unless we do it this way.
    There will be new sides made out of more plexi the weekend after this.

So long and hope you enjoy reading this. I enjoyed taking it this far :)

2. St3ph

St3ph What's a Dremel?

Looks good so far :)
    mod on