1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project Neophyte .: UPDATE 25 !!!!!! : 21.03.10 :.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Dark~3nergy, 25 Mar 2008.

1. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Holy smokes... that is a nicely cleaned weld, man! I love it! :))

2. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

thanks guys :)

3. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

great job cleaning up that weld! i tried welding for my first time a few months back. its really hard.

keep it up!

4. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

Nice welding. :thumb:

5. Kviker

Kviker What's a Dremel?

wow! nice job!

6. llamafur

llamafur WaterCooled fool

Good start with the welds. In welding terms this is described as Chicken **** lol.
    [​IMG]
    To get a better bead like this \/ You should pull the gun. This is part of a VESA TV mount I made.
    [​IMG]
    Here's a diagram for ya.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 22 Mar 2010
  7. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

-Those barbs are done for, too.:hehe:
    You did a great job cleaning up the weld, though. That's what's important.

Also: Are the barbs mounted to the steel, or are they a bulkhead-thing that won't expose the steel to water. I probably would have asked earlier, but I originally thought you had used stainless steel.

8. Dark~3nergy

thanks all :)

llamafur, thanks ^^ i'm new to welding, but i'll try to do like that next time i weld something.

Cheapskate, those barb things are panel mount barbs from koolance, so i can remove them at anytime and the water wont be in contact with the steel. they are fine though, just covered in dust. i didn't think it was necessary to remove them when i was welding :eek:

9. Darkraven

Darkraven What's a Dremel?

Welding takes time, lots of practice and proper equipment.

All I see in photo is what looks like a pair of brazing googles. Is that what you used?? If so and they are light enough to see where to start, they're too light. Young eyes won't stay young long doing that. Also good way to get face burn, not only is that molden medal but is also like sunburn from the arc.

If your holding them up with one hand and them putting them over your eyes after starting and welding with the oither, well, that's a trick for old pros.

Get a good helmet, preferably an auto on, helps a lot to not have to move your head to flip it down. Insures your rod stays where you want it to strike your arc.

Getting burned sucks !! Welding gloves are cheap, so are slip on work boots. Laced boots are asking for burn disaster, ever get hot slag down a boot and you'll know.

Find a good thick kacki shirt, overly large so you can wear it over your own clothes. Take it to a laundry and have it starched really stiff. Hot beads will just roll off.

If you can find a place or mate to let you use a wire feed mig welder would be helpfull. It would show you a lot. By welding with it and not having to deal with splatter and slag you'll be able to actually see what your hand movement is doing with your bead. The argon gas of a mig eliminates all the mess. Kinda same principle of learning as watching something in slow motion.

It really helps to improve your stick welding when that's all you have.

And even small cracker box home welders vastly improve with heavier leads and good ground clamp. Worth the investment. Any welding supply house can fix you up.

Just a few tips to help save your eyes, your time and grinding wheel expence.

Good luck in the future.

10. TotalGaos

TotalGaos Stainless steel.. hmm..

Hmm yes very nice build, Ive just been reading your worklog.
    Nice to hear about appreciation at something from my own country :D
    You should try and make contact with the DJ once it is finished, although I heard he doesn't do hardcore anymore..
    Well good luck, I'm subscribed.

11. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Yo Dark! So where is another update?! :D
    I want to see one!!:)

12. Skorchio

Skorchio What's a Dremel?

Wow amazing PC mate, some good welding there as well :)

13. Dark~3nergy

thanks :eek: but sadly i've had some money issues, my gpu died and i had to buy a new one, an HIS 5850. gpus are quite expensive :/
    so right now i don't have any money over for working on this case :( so i wont have anything to show untill i get some money... meh... :( damn money, it's so hard to get....
    i might be able to do some work without money though.
    but i will NEVER give up on this mod, never. :rock:
    i will finish it sooner or later. i feel like staring something new though :S

also, TotalGaos, i'm not into this kind of music anymore, but i still keep the name because i find it quite nice.

i have a looooong weekend next week, i'll make some pics of how the case currently looks.

Last edited: 30 May 2010
  14. TotalGaos

TotalGaos Stainless steel.. hmm..

I'll wait and see!

15. LooseNeutral

LooseNeutral What's a Dremel?

Sorry I'm late to the party, Saw this link in another thread.:read: Knew I had to see this, what a journey! Your project looks great, ruined another pair of drawers when I saw your renders. :jawdrop: HOW do you pull off that fluid trick in the clear tubing? I tried putting a red material on the inner surface and a glass material on the outer. Close but no cookie!:wallbash:

Last edited: 3 Sep 2010
  16. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Any updates?

Or are we in for another 1-year delay? ;)

17. Dark~3nergy

well... nothing for now. I've only been running into problems.. and the fact that i spent 500.- on laser cut plexiglass that came in the wrong color, and not transparent, killed me.
    I want to start it over, with fewer design and planing failure. but we'll see about that later, i have not made up my mind yet. I have to finish my gtr-r first, which should soon be done.

18. LooseNeutral

LooseNeutral What's a Dremel?

OH NO "O.O" ">.<" "X.X" 500!:grr: Man, I'm reeeal sorry to hear that!:sigh: Major bummer and heartache. I hope at least it may be of use to you in something else in a future project. Geez, you've put so much it to this one. Do what you feel you must. If your going to shelve the project, I'd at least hit it with some corrosion prevention spray. You may find an inspiration to continue it.:thumb:
    Soldier on, you still:rock:

19. Yariko

Yariko What's a Dremel?

This mod is mindblowing, just found the project log o_O Amazing work so far ^^ :thumb:

( Why can't I get anything never done even I have some of the skills and resources :wallbash: )

20. Dark~3nergy

LooseNeutral, hey calm down :D I WILL finish it, but right now i have more important stuffs to do, and i have to rethink the interior of the case: motherboard tray, psu placement, hdds, etc...

Yariko, thanks :) i'm happy when people like what i do !