1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: NEW Trashed

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Hal, 25 Sep 2005.

1. Hal

Hal What's a Dremel?

discussion link!

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=98795

Back once again. This time I want to move away from the whole computer case re-mod. So I decided I wanted to take it a bit further this time, and really try out my skill and patience!

I wanted to do something very slick and that would really stand out, so I knew I found my starting block when I was at Target and found this:
    [​IMG]
    Hence the “trashed” part of the name.

Now… that would look awesome sitting on a desk all done up. So I got to work on plans. Since this was my first total conversion build, and I would have to make/fabricate a lot of parts, I needed a geed overall plan!

Don’t mind my bad drawing, but I am old school and do it by hand. Here are the first sketches
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i got a lot of components in the other day, so i could not help going all out and starting on this beast.
    [​IMG]

taped up and ready to freehand it!
    [​IMG]

i traced the size to a plexi sheet as a guide for the new floor piece, fan mounts/mobo tray mount, and PSU mount.
    [​IMG]

ooo, purtty,
    [​IMG]

top and bottom off.
    [​IMG]

read on the next post...

Last edited: 25 Apr 2006
  2. Hal

Hal What's a Dremel?

Ok, so here is some of the gear!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I just broke my hand down in Mississippi helping out beating some looters! Hehe. So this will be a slow mod. Its hard enough just trying to type with this damn thing on my hand!
    [​IMG]

Sleeving the Tagan: and let me tell you what... sleeving with one hand is hard as CRAP!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More…

3. Hal

Hal What's a Dremel?

Mobo tray time. I had one from a previous mod, that I found would fit just right with a few cuts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Line this up with the plexi bottom and you got something going on!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Add holes and you get some mounting/fan scews. Dual purpose.
    [​IMG]

just a bit more….

4. Hal

Hal What's a Dremel?

All ready to start the cuts! Still have to add some more patterns for cut-outs, likr the CD drive and rear cut-outs for the motherboard.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

front panel of tinted plexi
    [​IMG]

that’s all for now! Feel free to comment in the Discussion Thread!!!

Last edited: 25 Sep 2005
  5. Hal

Hal What's a Dremel?

Project: Trashed NEW 2006

Worklog

[​IMG]

feel free! what are your ideas? questions? comments?!

Last edited: 25 Apr 2006
  6. c.cam108

c.cam108 Minimodder

That's some seriously good artwork on the side there. This looks like it could turn out to be a promising project. Gutted about your hand though.

Oh, and you might want to link to this thread from the log thread.

_C

7. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Wow, if you pull this off, its gonna ROCK! :D
    Keep going! (and yeah, how the hell can you mod with one hand, I can barely do it with two ;))

8. Votey

Votey What's a Dremel?

This is awesome. What are you going to put behind the flame cut-outs? Mesh/grill, plexi, velvet?

9. Hal

Hal What's a Dremel?

blackpainted mesh from MNPC. the round type.... hahaahaha, velvet huh?

10. RadeX

RadeX What's a Dremel?

hi
    nice flames, it reminds me my current Phoenix project
    can't wait till you cut them :)
    greetz

11. DrPepper

DrPepper What's a Dremel?

No ideas :(

But i´m loving this project absolute something i´ll subscribe to. At least sorry about your hand buddy :)

Ps.Bad english? I Now i´m a swede :) .Ds

12. Hal

Hal What's a Dremel?

Got a few small things done with mounting and plexi…

Look at the Gimp cut!
    [​IMG]

I cut out several CD faceplates (to account for mess-ups and mind-changes) a few front bezel plates, and the floor and mobo plate.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

here is the plate mounted onto the mobo tray
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I plan to also add one more bolt on the other side of the tray to add to the stability of the rack. Just to give me peace of mind.
    [​IMG]

I plan to cut the holes in the plexi for the fans soon, to give yous a better overall understanding of the plexi chassis!

Mod on!

Last edited: 26 Sep 2005
  13. crazybee

crazybee Black & Yellow

excellent build my friend, wish I had a saw thing to cut plexi like you to and a good supplier of plexi

anyways I love the trashcan build, even got me looking at trash cans (dustbins) in a different light :rock:

14. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

You must be real modder as you can't wait until your hand gets better :D

chrome rulez!

15. Hal

Hal What's a Dremel?

got a lot of the plexi work done now, have to upload my pics soon. after thisi am waiting on a hole saw that i odered for the 120mm holes! thats a big saw! haha.

16. Hal

Hal What's a Dremel?

UPDATE for 13Oct2005

Well, a lot has happened since last time! Wow. Tell you what, modding with a broke hand is harder than I EVER imagined! I almost gave up a few times! It was just sooo awkward to hold, cut, anything! But I managed. When I was done with something, It just felt good to know that I still perservered!

Well on to the goodies. Ok, I got most of the cutting done to the outside of the case. Just a few small cuts (IE the cdrom drive and the rear mobo openings.)

Now just a small thing… I do not recommend using a dremel at high speed with a cutting attachment with the use of only one hand! Not only is it dangerous, but stupid… so naturally I promptly started cutting away. A few nicks on the cast later…

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

so it is looking real good for now, I have to clean up the cuts way more. Oh, one more thing… cutting stainless steel is hard work… and it is weird. The big reinforced cut-off wheels don’t work as well as the small dinky dremel cut-off wheels. Don’t know, the big ones just heated up the metal and cut slow, the small ones really kicked ass and bit right into the metal like a hot knife through butter!

Last edited: 13 Oct 2005
  17. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Those flames look incredible! Good job, esp with the hand ;)

18. Hal

Hal What's a Dremel?

Next I wanted to get to work on making some headway with the bottom stand and the chassis. A lot more to do but I got a nice chunk done.
    I wanted to have fans on the bottom drawing air from the bottom to the top of the case, like a continuous flow, from cool to warm.
    So do this, I needed to make a few cuts, and figure a way to make this happen without having the airflow all stopped from the base stand itself. So I will have to construct something like legs that actually hold this base off the deck a bit so air can be sucked in.

This is what I came up with so far in the baseplate.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A few things will be changed, but this is the basic mock-up. On top of this, the PSU will sit, then on top of the PSU will be the MOBO, and up. So it creates a chassis that is sort of like a tower. All of this will be fabricated from frosted red and clear plexi. There will be several 1” plexi posts that will separate the different plexi “levels”. Soon, I will unveil this, so that you all are not confused! Haha.

feel free to disscuss.

19. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Wow, looks good! I will be following this. I was planning to mod a computer into a bin similar to yours, but didn't go ahead with the plan. What colour lights you gonna have inside - sure you're gonna have them aren't you? And how are you going about to create the analogue temperature dials?

Just be careful!

20. Hal

Hal What's a Dremel?

thanks!