1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PROJECT: Nightmare³ Feb 16 Updated Pics

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Angry_Steel, 1 Oct 2005.

1. Angry_Steel

Angry_Steel What's a Dremel?

**From now on, current update will be reproduced here in the first post**

Feb 16 (Casework)

I have been finishing up on the rest of the metalwork and Im pretty much complete. Heres a couple of pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Close up of the latches I have installed as a (really unecessary) backup to keep the top case to the bottom.

More and better pics soon, wasnt in a photo happy mood today.

Last edited: 16 Feb 2006
  2. Angry_Steel

PROJECT: Nightmare³

Welcome to my Nightmare.....

[​IMG]

Last edited: 1 Oct 2005
  3. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Looks cool! :)
    Is that a XSPC 120 Crossflow Rad I see? ;)

4. Angry_Steel

Thanks!

Actually it is a Thermochill PA160. Im going to update the Project Log right now with more information and details.

5. Angry_Steel

Anatomy of a Panel

First I decided I was going to make the leap into watercooling, and after much time and effort paging through forum after forum and thread after thread, I decided pretty much what parts I was going to buy. Problem was after looking around for a new case, the choices were decidedly lacking for what I was planning. The Mt Mods UFO was the closest I would have thought about buying but even that was not exactly what I was looking for. I was about to break down and just buy it but decided hey, why not build my own case exactly how I want it.

And so began the nightmare...... :dremel:

I dont draw out plans....I get most of my ideas when Im ready to fall asleep, and I forget half of that by the time I wake up, so this whole process has been fun to say the least as I get to a certain point and realize that my great idea has run into a brick wall due to some problem that I failed to forsee. Well anyway on to some pics.

I liked the Mt Mods case alot so I decided to:

1. Make the case out of wood in a cube
    2. Make my life easier and order some Mt Mods parts to supplement the wood
    3. Make the case as silent as possible using MDF and other means that I hadnt figured out yet.

First I bought some Pine 2x2's and ripped them down to 1 3/8 square, glued and screwed them into a cube. After I looked at it, I had my first wonderful idea that started me down my road of never ending nightmares. Lets silence the thing by making 3 layer sides and doors :clap: So, I experimented on the bottom and put 1 sheet MDF-----2 sheets of Cork-----1 sheet MDF, glued it all together and screwed and glued to the base.

[​IMG]

The other parts in that pic are the motherboard tray, drive racks that I ordered from Mt Mods.

Ok, well that was easy I thought, lets move on to more substantial construction. :thumb:

The next step was...well....I hadnt thought that far ahead to tell you the truth, all I had up to that point in time was a series of brain seizures with conflicting ideas. Finally I decided that I wanted a completely self enclosed, rad-box that contained everything minus the actual waterblocks, with all the hoses running internally into the computer case. Well in order to do that, I would have to put the box either on top or on the bottom. Realizing this is my first delve into the watercooling world, I decided on the bottom, that way if it leaks, its not going to fry anything.

Well I thought....Lets just make another cube the same size as the first one, and put wheels on it and set the actual case on top of that. So the second cube was born.

[​IMG]

I wanted to show you all how I constructed the panels on these things without showing you every single panel, as there are 12 of them total, I figured that could get a little tedious :eyebrow:

So here goes...

Each panel is constructed so that the outer piece is attached to the pine frame with large screws, so it is the actual dimensions of the frame itself. The next layers of cork and MDF are the dimensions of the interior of the frame. They are fastened by the same screws and then the whole thing is screwed and glued onto the frame. Its real fun trying to get all the holes and everything through 3 different layers and having them line up. :duh:

This is a side view of the rear panel for the computer case showing the different layers.

[​IMG]

And a view from the rear

[​IMG]

And a view from the inside

[​IMG]

Also any place that there needs to be a screw, say to hold in the motherboard tray, drive racks, fans etc, I have used steel inserts that screw into the MDF which then have Hex Screws to attach the offending item. That way nothing will strip out over time and give me more nightmares. Whats nice about those little things is that trying to get one of them in straight is just about impossible, and takes about 5-10 min a piece.

Here are a couple more of the Front panel, with the fan grills in place. The fan grills are the speaker type and are recessed (routed) flush to the backside of the 1st layer and then hot-glued in.

Front Case Panel

[​IMG]

Grill Front

[​IMG]

Grill Rear

[​IMG]

Ok...So know you know how I won that battle with the 3 layers of the Apocalypse.

Last edited: 13 Dec 2005
  6. Angry_Steel

Fan Module Update

Throughout both the Case and Radbox I needed fans, this was obvious, and with fans comes dust, lots of dust if you happen to live under a granite quarry on the side of a mountain. With my current box or any other box Ive had, cleaning the filters (if you could call them that) was a complete pain in the behind. So one night, during that short period of time where my brain seizures make some sort of sense before the nightmares begin, I thought hey...why not make a door for the filter? What evolved from that was my fan modules. Fan, Filter, Fan Standoff in one hinged door.

They are made from 2 pieces of MDF glued together, routed on the backside to fit in the filter, with 4 steel inserts to attach the fan with hex screws, and hinged. There are a total of 6 between the case and radbox. 3 of them are completed.

Raw

[​IMG]

With Filter

[​IMG]

Painted and Volla! Fan Module

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 1 Oct 2005
  7. Angry_Steel

Radiator Modules

I have 2 Thermochill PA160 Radiators and I needed to mount them in such a way as to be able to remove them easily. In the construction of the radbox, and actually throughout the whole case/radbox, my idea was to isolate the component to its own fan/fans. Also since I wanted everything to be modular, for ease of removal and maintainance, I had to figure out a way to mount the radiators. My idea was to make a radiator module. Basically its just a box made out of MDF, with holes cut for the Barbs/Flanges and the Surface area of the radiator. Then a removable back with hex screws and I have my module that can be slid in and out of the radbox side doors.

Raw

[​IMG]

Completed Front

[​IMG]

Completed Rear

[​IMG]

8. Angry_Steel

Project Log updated with Panel construction, Fan Modules, Rad Modules.

9. TMM

TMM Modder

Nice job, the rad module looks very well thought out :thumb: Have you thought of using filler on the MDF, and then sand it down so it paints up better?

10. Angry_Steel

It has a good coat of primer on it right now, but I got a little lazy on the sanding on the interior parts. Im probably going to go back and sand it some more especially on the end cuts. The parts are also a little sloppy now from an accumulation of MDF dust that seems to stick to everything, especially when yours truly leaves finished pieces laying around the work area. When I finally paint the outside Im going to be meticulous but Im a little ways away from that.

11. Angry_Steel

Radbox Update

Well I did some more work on the Radbox today. Mostly I was laying out components inside and seeing what would work and what wouldnt. I guess now would be a good time to explain my madness on what I expect from it before I go to far. Its a dual system, 1 for the CPU and one for the Graphics. First a component list, all the parts I have to cram into it.

4 x Danger Den Fillports
    1 x Tagan 300 Watt PSU
    2 x San Ace 38mm x 120mm Fans
    3 x Papst 4412 120mm Fans

The idea here is dividing the box into 3 parts. The lower half is divided into 2 seperate "Tunnels" that are for the 2 Radiators. The upper half is for the rest of the components, with 1 120mm intake fan, 2 passive exhausts directly behind where the pumps will be, and of course the PSU will exhaust actively. Here is a pic of the case in my "Trial fit, dont attach anything permanently" stage.

[​IMG]

This is a rear view

[​IMG]

And a front view which deserves some description. I was drilling the holes for the Fillports, but decided to rush in where angels fear to tread and didnt do my computations right, so they ended up in the wrong place. 3 circular blanks, some glue and some woodfiller later, we have it in all its glory. The smaller screwholes needed to be filled sooner or later so I gave them a swipe while I was at it.

[​IMG]

Trial fit on the fillports

[​IMG]

Now the fillports will run directly to the Res which I have modified from its original form. I drilled out the fillport on the res and re-threaded it to fit the 1/2 to 3/8 adapter and siliconed it in. Then on top of that the 3/8 to 3/8 and the 1/2 barb. Hose to fillport and thats that. Was it the best way to do it? Who knows, but it makes my life easy as far as filling and leaving. Here is a pic of the modified res, with a coat of plastic primer and a first coat of finish paint.

[​IMG]

More updates as they evolve.

12. Angry_Steel

Project Log Updated with RadBox Pics and Information.

13. Angry_Steel

WC Parts

Well Im sick of hunting around for all the parts I need when I am working on this project, so yesterday and today I have been gathering them all together. I spent an hour yesterday looking for some T-fittings that I had buried somewhere about 2 months ago and figured enough was enough.

Figured I would snap a pic before they all go into one box.

[​IMG]

14. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

Nice, but a little big to me. Wich is the porpouse of each cube?

La densidad media tiene dos cualidads, huele a palomitas cuando la cortas y se calienta y genera cantidades increibles de polvo incluso al hacer un pequeño agujero :D

15. Angry_Steel

Originally it was going to be one "cube and one smaller box for the radiators, but as time progressed, I saw that everything would end up jammed in too close and I wanted something that was easy to work on. So I decided on 2 cubes, one for the water cooling and one for the actual computer. Its been sort of a rollercoaster as I have let it get out of control. Yea its big, pretty extreme, over-engineered and a real pain to put together.

Im mostly focusing on the lower cube right now as I need to see how all the hoses will end up before I start drilling into the upper one, but if everything goes right I should have that almost complete within a week and I can resume work on the main case.

As far as the Spanish goes, I wish my knowledge of it was as big as my case, but in fact it is pretty poor. Im an American, and my wife is Spanish though she speaks fluent english. I am taking classes here, but Mi español sigue siendo muy malo. If I understand correctly your talking about how hard MDF is to cut, it smells like popcorn, and generates a lot of dust. Well If thats the case you are totally right. Its nasty, smells bad, and the dust sticks to everything. The only reason I am using it is its cheap, dense and when you glue it is like a rock.

16. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

yeah that's correct. i don't kwnow why but if you try to drill a small hole in the MDW lots of dust are generated.

I was surprised for you extremely correct english, now i know why :D Keep on mod.

17. Angry_Steel

Distribution Module

There has been a problem ongoing since the original thought for this case, that is how to not only keep the watercooling tubing inside the case, but also allow quick disconnects between the Upper and Lower boxes. Originally I had a few ideas, but as the boxes got heavier and heavier theres just no way that I can make use of those ideas.

So amazingly enough in my Spanish Class today, the simple answer came and hit me in the forehead. Horizontal mount with the tubes coming from the upper box just entering the lower box through shafts. So after I got home I immediately put my idea to work and here is the first shot.

[​IMG]

Other work that has been done over the past couple of days has mostly been sleeving fans and working out wire routing for the PSU and fans inside the radbox. Now that I have this problem figured out, I think that was the last hurdle and I might actually have this part finished by the middle part of next week (Famous last words) Anyway, more tommorow as I am planning on making a day out of working on this thing.

Finished the panel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 7 Oct 2005
  18. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Wow!
    This is looking SO good! :D

19. Angry_Steel

Thanks, its taking alot more time than I originally expected but thats what happens when the plans are non-exsistent. Hopefully it will start looking like something here in the next few days, now I just have wood, and parts laying everywhere as I try to think ahead far enough not to screw up anything.

20. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

Thats looking fantastic, well thought out and I like the separate compartments.

One thing though, that a lot of fans, 2 very powerful pumps and one 300W PSU?

What type of components are you going to be running?