1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: NightShuttle(stupid name huh?), 31 December!!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by tylerpestell, 22 Dec 2005.

1. tylerpestell

tylerpestell What's a Dremel?

Discuss

Hardware:
    SN41G V2
    AMD Sempron 1.75Ghz
    Radeon 9800pro 128Mb
    1Gb RAM
    2 x 250 gig HDD
    Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse
    19in LCD

Plans:
    - Modify PSU for 80 mm fan
    - Chop the top
    - Install Aerocool VGA cooler (Requires Modification)
    - Create new shell from black acrylic
    - Mount a handle to the top
    - Create a custom faceplate
    - Come up with a way to mount 2 hard drives under the case

Before Picture:
    [​IMG]
    Note: The back fan grill was hacked out long ago.

Last edited: 31 Dec 2005
  2. tylerpestell

Project: NightShuttle

Project

I really don't like the name NightShuttle but I can't think of anything else. Any suggestions are welcome. Hmmm ... anyone have any suggestions on how to mount 2 fans to the front?

Last edited: 28 Dec 2005
  3. tylerpestell

Body Mods

Before shot with just 80mm Fan grill cut out: (Coping saw, files)
    [​IMG]

My plans are to flip the PSU around so it required me to make some changes to the PSU hole in the back ... here is the result: (Dremel, files)
    [​IMG]

After removing the rivets for the cross beams I cut part of the top off: (Drill, Jigsaw, files)
    [​IMG]

I still have to modify the remaining metal so it can be jbwelded back on. This will give it some much needed strength. I also found some aluminum bar that will be going across the case longways.

4. tylerpestell

Since I am stuck in Germany for Christmas I decided to do a little modding.
    All I did was some dremeling and Jbwelding ... here it is drying.

[​IMG]

Merry Christmas to all

5. tylerpestell

Alright ... so after some cutting, sanding, jbwelding, :dremel: etc. I have the base frame of my new shuttle. The front can hold 2 92mm fans ... my original plan was 2 80mm fans but I think 92mm fans would be SOOO much better I still need to cut the holes where the IDE cables will go under the case, need find a way of mounting the PSU and a way to mount fans on the front.

[​IMG]

6. hobbs

hobbs What's a Dremel?

looking good so far!

7. crazydeep74

crazydeep74 What's a Dremel?

8. radek

radek What's a Dremel?

Is that JBWeld stuff really working? Just curiuos...

9. tylerpestell

It works great ... I have used it on other projects before and it came highly recommended from friends. It is extremely strong. My case is even stronger than it was before.

I will show you some close up shots as soon as I get them filled right and the shaped so they look as good as possible. I am sort of a perfectionist so I tend to spend a lot of time on things that really don't need to be.

Here is a picture ... not the best but it works

[​IMG]

Last edited: 29 Dec 2005
  10. tylerpestell

After realizing it was going to be a pain to mount the PSU, since I took off the previous mounting system where the PSU just slides in place with a little hook, I decided to put the grey matter to work. I was thinking of just using the previous hook and just jbweld it to my my beam ... well I never really cared for the hook method I prefer screwing my PSUs in. I was thinking I would drill to holes and make some brackest that would mount to the beam. Then I realized that my thumbscrews fit perfectly in the holes that hold the PSU together so I decided to just use them. now I just need to make 2 brackets, the one for the back can be attached to the back and the other will have to be a triangle piece that attaches to the beam... Wow that is a lot of writing for me ... just look at the picture ... you might see what I am talking about.

[​IMG]

Here is the L bracket mounted and waiting to dry.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 29 Dec 2005
  11. tylerpestell

Alright ... All finished with the PSU mount ... so here it is.

[​IMG]

I still need to sleeve the cables and haven't decided how I am going to do it exactly ... was also thinking of buying some black connectors ... That would look pretty cool ... it won't be open like that either ... I am going to make a cover using black acrylic (maybe clear) with a spot for a slim 80mm fan. I am hoping I can connect the fan to the PSU fan controller inside, the PSU I think controls the fan speed dependent on the tempature (pretty sure)...

12. tylerpestell

Alright ... I cut the bar off on the front and put on a new one ... I thought this would look a lot cleaner and would be stronger. After it drys I will file off all the excess to make it nice and smooth. I also cut the hole for the IDE cables that will go to the drives below.

[​IMG]

I finally got my new supplies ... Not sure if I like the nylon screws ... I just don't like the feel but they do look sharp. Also the Acrylic is quite thick and sturdy ... I might buy a thinner piece just to make it lighter. In the meantime I have to figure out how to cut and bend this piece. I am thinking a heat gun will be my best bet.

[​IMG]

13. Dogbertd

Dogbertd What's a Dremel?

Out of curiosity and ignorance: what are your objectives with this (impressive looking) mod? Why did you flip the PSU? Are you trying to silence your PC or make it more efficient? I'm trying to think of ways to make my Shuttle PSU quieter, so I'm interested in the mods you've made to the PSU.

Thanks,

Dogbertd